Am I Being Taken For?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Boogeyman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 19, 2014
watertown
First of all I am a senior citizen with very limited knowledge of equipment.

I am Canadian living in Canada and decided to go with an agent (let’s call him that, if I have to reveal names I will do).

Here’s a list of purchases I made:

Item Name Quantity Unit Price Total Cost
8_s_20130311014439.jpg
DISH NETWORK HD DISH -- Equipments 1 $169.00 $169.00
14_s_20121105065016.jpg
HOPPER HD-DVR -- Equipments 1 $599.00 $599.00
19_s_20121103152958.jpg
JOEY HD RECEIVER -- Equipments 3 $199.00 $597.00
19_s_20121103152958.jpg
TOP EVERYTHING -- Yearly Program Packages 1 $1,416.00 $1,416.00
19_s_20121103152958.jpg
Cricket Pack -- Yearly Program Packages 1 $378.00 $378.00
19_s_20121103152958.jpg
Russian Mega -- Yearly Program Packages 1 $540.00 $540.00
Sub Total:
$3,699.00
Shipping (11 - UPS Standard) :
$84.19
Tax:
$295.80
Activation Cost:
$0.00
Addtional Receiver:
$360.00
H D Fee:
$120.00
D V R Fee:
$144.00
Access Fees:
$0.00
Total:
$4,702.99​

I received all the equipment on time and there was no problem. As I was in the process of moving I did not activate the account for a few months. After doing the set up and activating my equipment, I noticed that I was not receiving the Cricket Package and the Russian Mega Pack, so I checked my subscription via my receiver and everything was OK. I called my agent and advised him what was going on. He said that he would get back to me. In the meantime, I did resets on my equipment etc etc and nothing worked to receive my packages.

I have exchanged emails and many telephone calls to the agent and he tells me that I need a new LNB. The LNB he sent me is a Dish 1000. About a month and a half ago he promised me to mail a new LNB. When I called him last week, he advised me that he had mailed the LNB about three weeks ago prior to this conversation. I advised him that I did not receive the LNB. He advised me that he was going to look into the matter and get back to me. As off this writing I have not heard from him. This has been going on since March 2014.

I should tell you that he waived the HD, DVR and Joey fees because I questioned him about it because he did not advertise these hidden costs.

Am I being scammed?

The Joey cost is ridiculous. DK about Cricket or Russian. Overall seems pretty bad, esp as there seems to be little to no customer service.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Did you seriously have to buy all of that equipment? As for the Cricket pack and Russian pack, I'm not sure if you need a different LNB or another dish antenna to receive those. Hopefully someone else can answer that here.

First of all I am a senior citizen with very limited knowledge of equipment.

I am Canadian living in Canada and decided to go with an agent (let’s call him that, if I have to reveal names I will do).

Here’s a list of purchases I made:

Item Name Quantity Unit Price Total Cost
8_s_20130311014439.jpg
DISH NETWORK HD DISH -- Equipments 1 $169.00 $169.00
14_s_20121105065016.jpg
HOPPER HD-DVR -- Equipments 1 $599.00 $599.00
19_s_20121103152958.jpg
JOEY HD RECEIVER -- Equipments 3 $199.00 $597.00
19_s_20121103152958.jpg
TOP EVERYTHING -- Yearly Program Packages 1 $1,416.00 $1,416.00
19_s_20121103152958.jpg
Cricket Pack -- Yearly Program Packages 1 $378.00 $378.00
19_s_20121103152958.jpg
Russian Mega -- Yearly Program Packages 1 $540.00 $540.00
Sub Total:
$3,699.00
Shipping (11 - UPS Standard) :
$84.19
Tax:
$295.80
Activation Cost:
$0.00
Addtional Receiver:
$360.00
H D Fee:
$120.00
D V R Fee:
$144.00
Access Fees:
$0.00
Total:
$4,702.99​

I received all the equipment on time and there was no problem. As I was in the process of moving I did not activate the account for a few months. After doing the set up and activating my equipment, I noticed that I was not receiving the Cricket Package and the Russian Mega Pack, so I checked my subscription via my receiver and everything was OK. I called my agent and advised him what was going on. He said that he would get back to me. In the meantime, I did resets on my equipment etc etc and nothing worked to receive my packages.

I have exchanged emails and many telephone calls to the agent and he tells me that I need a new LNB. The LNB he sent me is a Dish 1000. About a month and a half ago he promised me to mail a new LNB. When I called him last week, he advised me that he had mailed the LNB about three weeks ago prior to this conversation. I advised him that I did not receive the LNB. He advised me that he was going to look into the matter and get back to me. As off this writing I have not heard from him. This has been going on since March 2014.

I should tell you that he waived the HD, DVR and Joey fees because I questioned him about it because he did not advertise these hidden costs.

Am I being scammed?
Seeing it is illegal under Canadian law to use DISH in Canada and illegal under US law for DISH to sell outside the US, I'd say you got what you paid for.

Reactions: ChadT41
Seeing it is illegal under Canadian law to use DISH in Canada and illegal under US law for DISH to sell outside the US, I'd say you got what you paid for.

I was going to ask about the whole Dish in Canada thing. I didn't think you could have Dish there.

Reactions: ChadT41
I was going to ask about the whole Dish in Canada thing. I didn't think you could have Dish there.

You cannot have Dish in Canada as far as Dish and the "law" is concerned. That does not mean that there are not brokers on both sides of the border arranging fake address service locations for activation.

The Russian and cricket packs require you get the [118°] satellite location. A standard dish set-up does not get this location. IIRC a dish capable of getting [118°] is larger than the standard dish so an LNB by itself will not do the trick.

--edited sat location error.

Last edited:
The Russian and cricket packs require you get the 121° satellite location.

It's actually the 118 bird, where all the other international stuff resides...the OP is going to have to get a 1000+ dish if he wants this prog. (I tried to post a link to one on e-bay, but this board keeps changing my link to some kind of "media link" :rolleyes: )

Egad! I would suppose you were lucky to receive anything at all. Very risky!

...and I thought I spent a lot of money on TV. That's $4,420.81 USD. TV's certainly not worth that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It is illegal in Canada, if Dish knew what he was doing they would shut him off, but as far as they know and are concerned nothing is illegal in the US.
I have Shaw Direct on two 630 PVR's, nothing I am doing is illegal under US law, as I am paying for it. Of course, if Shaw knew they would turn me off.
In Canada though, it is technically illegal to receive US sourced programming.
I wish the OP had checked out eBay and did some pricing before he did his purchase.
Also, seems strange the OP's broker wants a year of programming costs upfront since Dish doesn't do annual subscriptions.
The way my Canadian broker does it, Shaw charges my Amex card every month and the broker charges $18 per quarter for his fee.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I am really am sorry to have posted my dilemma if I knew what the response was going to be like concerning the illegality of having Dish in Canada. I know what I am doing is not right, however when the Government of Canada has taken away my rights by allowing me not to see American programming and commercials then I have take alternate measures.

Thanks to all the posters who have reminded me of the illegality of what I am doing. All I wanted to find out if indeed I need a new LNB to obtain my programming. The Dish that I have gets all the Dish Satellites. As far as one poster who wanted to know if I needed all that equipment. Yes I did.

Thanks to all the posters who responded. I will not be posting anymore.

O

I don't see any need to apologize. While it's on shaky ground it certainly is not a capital offense. I'm not at all surprised by the responses in this thread, it is pretty typical & predictable.

I do feel you have been somewhat taken advantage of by this agent. They could make it right by sending you the right dish like was previously stated, 1000+(plus). A different lnb with your current dish won't make a difference.

Reactions: Hall and TheKrell
I am really am sorry to have posted my dilemma if I knew what the response was going to be like concerning the illegality of having Dish in Canada. I know what I am doing is not right, however when the Government of Canada has taken away my rights by allowing me not to see American programming and commercials then I have take alternate measures.
Canada isn't restricting your rights to American programming. American programming providers are doing it.

Sorry you did not like the experience. There is some desire to point out some legal concerns, but you are not the first to seek and receive hp for what you want in Canada. Some bad with the good, if you will.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

I honestly think you're being screwed over with those prices. There's got to be a cheaper way to get that equipment. I'm sure you'd have to install everything yourself and then call Dish to activate it. You'll have to give them a fake U.S. address too.

Reactions: KAB
Fake addresses are easy. Just Google any McDonalds or other fast food business in the U.S. and use that address. Use one that is near enough to your actual location so you can get the locals from that spotbeam. Detroit might be a good choice or Buffalo, whichever is closer.

Don't you know anyone in the US that could have bought it for you , then ship it to you?

We have a place in Canada and we have both Bell & DirecTV at our homes and as our Canadian home overlooks a walkway & pond and you can easily see the DirecTV dish, I get lots of people that are walking by that stop and ask how we have that. As I'm a duel citizen it was a simple as signing up, but in the case of the average Canadian it's always best to make a trip across the boarder and pick up the equipment from any dealer. That is providing its practical to do so. Then bring the equipment home(you will have no trouble bringing it across as Canada Customs doesn't care as long as you pay the tax on it) look up a local dish installer have them come out and do the install. Then you'd only have to deal with the broker for programming.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)