Am I finally on the arc?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Ok all I messed with the Sg2100 today on the 30" dish. It's been too cold and snowy to mess with it much. Weeks ago I had 123W and 129W that's it. Today I managed to get it as far east as 113.0 and 116.8 So far nothing lower than 113.0W. Does in sound like it's on the arc finally? No luck with 101W tried it. I can get it on a fixed dish 36" not on the motorized 30" though. My biggest problem is I have lots of trees probably from my true south to maybe 95W. That's not making it any easier. My true south is like 185*and I can't possibly get anything like Amc3 etc... I'm getting a good solid signal from 113.0W to 129W. Anything else to try? Thanks! Blind:)

Don't see your LNB mentioned in your list of equipment, some of the Linear/Circular LNBs are pretty heavy (i.e. Invacom LNBF QPH-031), which can cause problems on small dishes without side supports on LNB arm....

Problem solved! After 2months of weekends in the cold we got it done. It's on the arc too. If it hadn't been the dead of winter and the problems with my first receiver I'd had been done in two weekends...Thanks! to everyone who has helped in answering all my posts etc... I'm sure there will be more questions later haha. Thanks! Blind:)

Problem solved! After 2months of weekends in the cold we got it done. It's on the arc too. If it hadn't been the dead of winter and the problems with my first receiver I'd had been done in two weekends...Thanks! to everyone who has helped in answering all my posts etc... I'm sure there will be more questions later haha. Thanks! Blind:)

Come on, dude. You can't leave us hanging. How did you get it to work? The info could help somebody with similiar issues.

Come on, dude. You can't leave us hanging. How did you get it to work? The info could help somebody with similiar issues.

Yes, as Bruin stated, it is important to provide feedback.

That is the main purpose to having a society such as this, a forum for discussions and help. If you benefit from someone elses suggestions, you should pass the information along to others.

AcWxRadar

Well no easy answers as to how I got it all lined up. On the sats below 123w I neglected to find a live T.P on a few of them. I knew better from all I read, just in a hurry. It pays to buy a decent receiver, that was my biggest issue I think. Make sure your receiver has a built in signal meter that beeps...You'll learn to love that beep. The in line meter may go in the trash now. It beeps at anything and everything! We my first receiver didn't support Usals. I've got everything on the Fortec Dynamic set up using disec 1.0. Some say its harder than Usals.....I was easier for me. I can look out the window and see the dish too which helps. I'm still tweaking things. If I get a strong signal on 123W or 129W and peak it there then 95W and 99w etc...suffers. If I peak it on the 95/99W etc...then 123W etc suffers. Bottom line is for anyone new to this. 1. Hopefully you know something about electronics 2. You tend to be mechanically inclined. 3. Don't start with a motor first. Read everything you can find here about alignment, switches, dishes, when you read it once read it again. 4. Alignment is very critical...a few degrees makes all the difference. 5. Patience helps a lot too. 6. Ask questions!!!!! 7. Get ready for that moment when you can kick back and enjoy the all them FTA channels. Thanks! Blind:)

Well no easy answers as to how I got it all lined up. On the sats below 123w I neglected to find a live T.P on a few of them. I knew better from all I read, just in a hurry. It pays to buy a decent receiver, that was my biggest issue I think. Make sure your receiver has a built in signal meter that beeps...You'll learn to love that beep. The in line meter may go in the trash now. It beeps at anything and everything! We my first receiver didn't support Usals. I've got everything on the Fortec Dynamic set up using disec 1.0. Some say its harder than Usals.....I was easier for me. I can look out the window and see the dish too which helps. I'm still tweaking things. If I get a strong signal on 123W or 129W and peak it there then 95W and 99w etc...suffers. If I peak it on the 95/99W etc...then 123W etc suffers. Bottom line is for anyone new to this. 1. Hopefully you know something about electronics 2. You tend to be mechanically inclined. 3. Don't start with a motor first. Read everything you can find here about alignment, switches, dishes, when you read it once read it again. 4. Alignment is very critical...a few degrees makes all the difference. 5. Patience helps a lot too. 6. Ask questions!!!!! 7. Get ready for that moment when you can kick back and enjoy the all them FTA channels. Thanks! Blind:)

Blind,

You nailed it pretty darned good with your 7 bottom line points!

If you want to try a tip, try this...

Once you find your due south satellite and get the dish aligned fairly well for it... move the dish with the motor to the most eastern satellite that you can obain a signal from and adjust the dish elevation to peak the signal, but do not adjust any other parameter.

Next pan the dish to the furthest west satellite and adjust the azimuth to peak the signal, but do not touch any other parameter.

Return to the east-most satellite and readjust the elevation as necessary to peak the signal, then back to the west-most satellite and adjust the azimuth. Keep repeating this process until no further improvements in signal are detected.

Then move the dish to dial in a further east and further west satellite and repeat the process. Eventually you will make your way across the entire horizon and all sats will be perfectly aligned.

Just ensure that you always use satellites which have a standard orbit. You do not want to use any sat that may have an inclined orbit as that will throw your arc off. You can use information provided from Lyngsat to determine which satellites that you should NOT use (inclined orbits).

Also, make sure that you are using only linear satellites to align your arc. Circular satellites do not require precision focus and therefore will not aid you in aligning your dish. An analogy to this is comparing a shotgun blast to a rifle shot. A circular sat will allow for a wide margin of error, like the pattern from a shotgun. You can be off a good deal and still detect a circular signal, but you have to be right on the mark with a linear sat target. That will help you with all other linear targets. Any circular targets will fall into place naturally.

Radar

Blind,

You nailed it pretty darned good with your 7 bottom line points!

If you want to try a tip, try this...

Once you find your due south satellite and get the dish aligned fairly well for it... move the dish with the motor to the most eastern satellite that you can obain a signal from and adjust the dish elevation to peak the signal, but do not adjust any other parameter.

Next pan the dish to the furthest west satellite and adjust the azimuth to peak the signal, but do not touch any other parameter.

Return to the east-most satellite and readjust the elevation as necessary to peak the signal, then back to the west-most satellite and adjust the azimuth. Keep repeating this process until no further improvements in signal are detected.

Then move the dish to dial in a further east and further west satellite and repeat the process. Eventually you will make your way across the entire horizon and all sats will be perfectly aligned.

Just ensure that you always use satellites which have a standard orbit. You do not want to use any sat that may have an inclined orbit as that will throw your arc off. You can use information provided from Lyngsat to determine which satellites that you should NOT use (inclined orbits).

Also, make sure that you are using only linear satellites to align your arc. Circular satellites do not require precision focus and therefore will not aid you in aligning your dish. An analogy to this is comparing a shotgun blast to a rifle shot. A circular sat will allow for a wide margin of error, like the pattern from a shotgun. You can be off a good deal and still detect a circular signal, but you have to be right on the mark with a linear sat target. That will help you with all other linear targets. Any circular targets will fall into place naturally.

Radar

that is no lie! ever put a circular on a 39 inch dish? You get great quality from 4-5 movements on circular sats, with linear maybe 2 movements then you are off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts