AM I gonna have 2 dishes on my roof?

Davejb

Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
I signed up for Dish a few weeks ago. After the installer left I noticed I didn't have my local channels that I asked for. I was told that I need a second dish to get these and they're coming out this Friday to install it. Why is it that I need 2 dishes? My friend has Direct TV and doesn't need 2 dishes. If this is the case I'll be switching to DTV, last thing I need is my house looking like a NASA communications center.

Most locations use a dish 1000 now. Where are you located though? That would tell us what dish will work (whether it be 2 500s or a 1000). Some cities require 148 or 61.5 because they either can't see 129 easily, or your local channels aren't at 129.

Personally I think the dual dish setup, when installed nicely, looks kinda classy :)

Davejb said:
I signed up for Dish a few weeks ago. After the installer left I noticed I didn't have my local channels that I asked for. I was told that I need a second dish to get these and they're coming out this Friday to install it. Why is it that I need 2 dishes? My friend has Direct TV and doesn't need 2 dishes. If this is the case I'll be switching to DTV, last thing I need is my house looking like a NASA communications center.

It depends on the DMA you live in..SE NH owuld tell me you're in the Boston DMA..If so, you do not need a second dish...If you don't mind..post your zip code and I can look it up

you must be in the Boston DMA and you're looking for WMUR and NHPTV, right?

these are on a second dish. When Dish started carrying locals, some markets have so many locals that they couldn't get all of them on one satellite transponder. So they put the major ones on the main satellite and the "minor" ones on a second satellite. You get the dish, switches and install for FREEEE (per the FCC rule)

Don't worry. Dish has until the middle of next year to get all your locals with one dish :)

stations in Boston DMA that are on 119 (Dish500)
ABC 5
CBS 4
NBC 7
FOX 25
WB 56
UPN 38
PBS 2
Telemundo 60

Stations that you will get with the 2nd dish
Ind 50
Univision 27
Telefutura 66
NHPTV 11
PBS 44
Daystar 48
ABC 9

Dave nye said:
Can't really answer your question without knowing where you are. Sounds kind of strange though, if you needed two dishes they should have done it all at once.

Techs wont install the second dish if its not listed on the work order meaning that if the customer has ordered it it will be installed, if not it wont. If I have a job that calls for the second dish I always ask my customer before installing it being sure to make it clear that there is only one local channel on that dish and what the programming is that comes off that channel.

I agree with Van, I live in a tri-state area. I deal with three different DMA,s, two of which require a second dish, but only for a couple of channels. However sometimes(not most) the customer wants usually one of those channels, so I always ask. That way there is no confusion.

Check see if you view the channels ,if not ,don't have the dish put up. The real question is HD if you see that as being something in the future than you might consider the dish because 61.5 currently has the Voom HD in the northeast (hopefully will not change). Otherwise you might consider waiting because in June the "must carry" locals will be changing and who knows what dish will do for the 1 dish solution.

Van said:
Techs wont install the second dish if its not listed on the work order meaning that if the customer has ordered it it will be installed, if not it wont. If I have a job that calls for the second dish I always ask my customer before installing it being sure to make it clear that there is only one local channel on that dish and what the programming is that comes off that channel.

usually the w/o will have a notation for "must carry'...when we see that , then the w/o is calling for a second dish.....

dishcomm said:
usually the w/o will have a notation for "must carry'...when we see that , then the w/o is calling for a second dish.....

Thats what I said in what you quoted me as saying, just in a diferent way.

Iceberg said:
you must be in the Boston DMA and you're looking for WMUR and NHPTV, right?

these are on a second dish. When Dish started carrying locals, some markets have so many locals that they couldn't get all of them on one satellite transponder. So they put the major ones on the main satellite and the "minor" ones on a second satellite. You get the dish, switches and install for FREEEE (per the FCC rule)

Don't worry. Dish has until the middle of next year to get all your locals with one dish :)

So in the N.Y. area are they coming out with a new dish, or are they all going to be on 110 and 0r 119 ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts