Am I looking at this wrong?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Liquidforce88

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
The Land Of OZ
Ok I currently have Dish with 4 tv's, two of them HD with two DVR. I currently pay $72 for the 200 channels + HD.

Doing the online order, I would need 2 standard receivers and two HD DVR units. This will cost me $199.00 up front.

Comparable costs would be 55 a month for the first 12 months. Then 88 a month there after.

55x12=660
88x12=1056
total=1915 for a 24 month contract + 192 more per year there after.

72x24=1728 for a 24 month contract with Dish.

So am I looking at this wrong or is Direct really that much more than Dish. Am I missing something? My contract is soon to be up with Dish but I am not willing to spend any more money than I am now.

That looks about right, as DirecTV is generally more expensive than Dish. The only thing I'll say in DirecTV's defense about this is that at least all of their charges are up front, and they don't try to nickel and dime you to death with a bunch of extra fees (no phone line, more than one DVR, programming change, etc....)

If cost is your issue, then you may want to look at all of the possible charges that could be added on to your account and decide which one would be best for you.

If programming is your main issue, then you need to decide which provider meets your needs best.

I will echo the statement above and ask these questions to the OP.

1. What is it that made you think of leaving Dish; and is that the most important to you?

2. If a penny to penny comparison is you biggest concern, and not what you REALLY get for those pennies; then you should likely stay with Dish.

From my memory bank:

Direct packages are a little higher.
Direct receivers only do one tv - so you'll have a couple extra $5 mirror fees

Dish hits the DVRs extra - $6 DVR fee per DVR, DirecTV is per account.
Dish has different programming, and is weaker in some HD, and much weaker in sports.

Lastly, give 800-DIRECTV a call, sometimes they can do better than what is on the website, especially on the hardware (that $199 may not be $199). Also, you can get $50 off from referral, and they'll generally throw in some free premiums for six months or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts