Am I supposed to be able to hook up my Dish Network Receiver to the AV Receiver?

guiri

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 26, 2007
Guys, I've got a Denon AVR-1913 and I CANNOT get the dish receiver to work through the Denon.

It works plugged straight into my tv but NOT plugged into the Denon. I've tried all the different inputs (HDMI) and still nothing.
Even got a replacement receiver and it still won't do it.

I HAVE gotten it to work a couple of times but only to lose the signal again when I turn the Denon
back on.

Of course, if I call Dish they'll blame it on the Denon and I won't get anything resolved.
They already screwed me out of the receiver I was supposed to have (Dish that is).

I have tried different cables and even a cable that was sent to me by the people that sold me
the Denon and still nothing.

Thought I'd arm myself with some options before calling Dish.

By the way, I have the 612 DVR from Dish.

Thanks

George

-Are you using the same cable from the 612 into the Denon that you tested with the 612 directly into the TV?
-Are you seeing anything on the TV from the Denon, either on-screen Denon menus or signals from other input devices like Blu-Ray players, Roku, etc?
-Are you referring to "standby pass-through"? You mention losing signal when you turn it back on.
-Have you set the 612 to output 16x9 1080i?
-Have you configured the HDMI inputs on the Denon?

BTW, simple logic will tell you that the issue is not the 612, as it works directly into your TV, and you are having the same issue with a replacement 612.
So, the issue is most likely either the Denon AVR, or one of the HDMI cables. My last Denon (I've owned three, 2805, 3808, and 3311) had an issue with its HDMI inputs. It was very temperamental. Some cables would work and some wouldn't, even though they worked fine with other devices. I have a Yamaha now.

As stated above, i would try a different HDMI cable. I have also seen issues where some cables just don't play nice with certain home theater units.

-Are you using the same cable from the 612 into the Denon that you tested with the 612 directly into the TV?

Yes

-Are you seeing anything on the TV from the Denon, either on-screen Denon menus or signals from other input devices like Blu-Ray players, Roku, etc?

Most of the time just static but occasionally I've seen the Denon logo

-Are you referring to "standby pass-through"? You mention losing signal when you turn it back on.

Sorry, not sure what standby pass through is. I turn the Denon off when I go to bed and the next day
when I turn it on, again the same thing...

Yes, but I just saw something which I've never paid attention to before.
It says ANALOG TYPE (in the screen where you set up the aspect ratio and so on) and the options are
Cable, Off Air, IRC, HRC

No idea what to do here?

BTW, simple logic will tell you that the issue is not the 612, as it works directly into your TV, and you are having the same issue with a replacement 612.

Well, that's what I tried to tell the people that sold it to me and finally they gave up and told me to call Denon.

So, the issue is most likely either the Denon AVR, or one of the HDMI cables. My last Denon (I've owned three, 2805, 3808, and 3311) had an issue with its HDMI inputs. It was very temperamental. Some cables would work and some wouldn't, even though they worked fine with other devices. I have a Yamaha now.

Well, the ONLY reason I got the Denon was that they have built in MANUAL equalizers. I'm a little sensitive to a lot of bass. Don't even have a subwoofer and there's only
so much I can turn it down with the bass button. Well, as you all probably know, you can't have external EQ's these days so after busting my head, I finally found
the Denon's.

They all have the audyssey thing but I'm not interested in that. I only have 2 speakers (that sound great by the way) and I want to be able to adjust the sound.

They had another unit they recommended but I don't think it had enough hdmi ports and/or didn't have the network port as I wanted to be able to play pandora
through the Denon.

Thanks

As stated above, i would try a different HDMI cable. I have also seen issues where some cables just don't play nice with certain home theater units.

I've tried a whole bunch including the presumably high end cable they sent me to make sure it wasn't the cable...

Well, I just tried and my options for the inputs were coax, optical and none. No option of HDMI and that was not just on cable, I looked under
DVD and the same thing.

Gotta call Denon I guess and let them talk me through it to make sure I didn't screw something up :(

Damn! This stuff USED to be simple. I guess I'm getting too old :(

I really think there is a setting or settings in the Denon that need to be configured. Or, perhaps the cable from the Denon to the TV is bad. You should at least be seeing an on-screen display (OSD) from the Denon on the TV, like the volume level when adjusting volume, or the setup/menu screens, when you choose them from the Denon remote.

FYI, Denon's are traditionally difficult to setup. They've gotten better over the years. But, still not as simple as other brands, unless things have suddenly changed these past two model years.

I had problems with a Denon a/v receiver and took it back to Bestbuy and got a Yamaha a/v receiver instead. Liked it so much I bought two : one for the living room and one for the master bedroom ,both with hoppers hooked up to them.

Well, if I could find a way to hook up a manual eq, I'd be all over something else....any help there?

I had an old Dennon hooked up to my old 722 until I upgraded to an Onkyo AVR with hdmi inputs. With the Dennon, I had to go into the setup and manually change the input source for each selection. Had to tell it if it was optical, etc. Don't know if the newer onces are the same.

Yes

Most of the time just static but occasionally I've seen the Denon logo

Sorry, not sure what standby pass through is. I turn the Denon off when I go to bed and the next day
when I turn it on, again the same thing...

Yes, but I just saw something which I've never paid attention to before.
It says ANALOG TYPE (in the screen where you set up the aspect ratio and so on) and the options are
Cable, Off Air, IRC, HRC

No idea what to do here?

Well, that's what I tried to tell the people that sold it to me and finally they gave up and told me to call Denon.

Well, the ONLY reason I got the Denon was that they have built in MANUAL equalizers. I'm a little sensitive to a lot of bass. Don't even have a subwoofer and there's only
so much I can turn it down with the bass button. Well, as you all probably know, you can't have external EQ's these days so after busting my head, I finally found
the Denon's.

They all have the audyssey thing but I'm not interested in that. I only have 2 speakers (that sound great by the way) and I want to be able to adjust the sound.

They had another unit they recommended but I don't think it had enough hdmi ports and/or didn't have the network port as I wanted to be able to play pandora
through the Denon.

Thanks

Stand by pass through means the Denon will allow signals to pass through it even though it is turned off.
Cable, Off Air, IRC, HRC means you have the wrong input selected. That one is for cable, not HDMI. Change the input to HDMI.

Just to verify...
The HDMI cable is going from your 612 to HDMI Port 1 (Cbl/Sat) on your Denon
HDMI from the Denon HDMI Monitor port goes to your TV HDMI

Verify the HDMI Audio Out is set to AVR (See page 105 of manual)
Verify HDMI Control is set to OFF (page 105)
OUTPUT Settings - Resolution i set to AUTO (106)
TV Format is set to NTSC (107 - it's the default)

Look at page 109 of your manual. It shows how to assign the Inputs. Verify the Cbl/Sat input is HDMI, not COAX

As far as getting a signal from 612 to TV through the 1913, this should do it. If not..."Hello, Denon?"
Select the Cbl/Sat input

Stand by pass through means the Denon will allow signals to pass through it even though it is turned off.
Cable, Off Air, IRC, HRC means you have the wrong input selected. That one is for cable, not HDMI. Change the input to HDMI.

I don't have the option to choose HDMI..

I don't have the option to choose HDMI..

If you have an HDMI input on the television, there must be a way to choose it unless it is self detecting. I doubt it is. What is the make and model of your television?

guiri was referring to the 612 HD setup, not the Denon.

guiri was referring to the 612 HD setup, not the Denon.

I was referring to the television's input. Is the 612 cable ready? I'm a Directv guy, so I'm not familiar with the Dish equipment.

dmspen did the research faster than I. But I think he nailed it.

And, as asked earlier, what is the TV brand and model #? There MUST be a way of selecting or defaulting to HDMI input. And for TVs with multiple HDMI inputs, selecting between them.

Your TV must be looking for input from the HDMI port. It must see an active signal there.

The Denon must look for the right HDMI port out of the 6 it has. You specify this, page 109 (as printed on the page, NOT the 109th page from the online PDF). As the Denon has only 1 HDMI out port, there's no setting there.

When guiri said he saw Cable, Off Air, IRC, HRC on the tv screen, it had to come from somewhere. They are usually from a cable ready television. If it didn't come from the 612 or the Denon, it had to be the tv. That means he had to have the wrong input selected on the tv since the HDMI input wouldn't show that on screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts