AM STEREO is what you hear!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
There's much talk in FCC circles about "what can be done to revitalize" the AM band? Our take? It takes good programming, promotion, and owners that CARE about their stations like we do!

With all the talk of AM lately, we proudly point out that as you listen to the stream, it's TRUE stereo, and...it's AM stereo! Why do we do it? Because we CAN! And we want your comments!

If I didn't know it, I wouldn't guess in a million years that the audio on your web stream was being fed by an am radio. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I grew up listening to WJR 760 on the AM dial. And I listen to a great many midwestern stations that traveled throughout the regional during the summer night air. Great stuff! These days whenever I flip over to the AM dial (not often), I am treated to a barrage of ultra right wing hate speech, country trailer-trash, mexican hat-dancing tunes, and Vietnamese and other foreign speaking content. AM needs quality content...right not it's a low rent place to park your Hundai.

We're glad to offer you a difference, and via the 'net! We feel our product is unique in the radio broadcasting world, and hope you enjoy!

I still listen to AM radio here....a good classic country station (KGLB 1310) and the classic country/oldies/polka station (KCHK 1350) :)

Am 750 WSB,used to listen to Braves games on it.When it got dark and the local am stations powered down it came in pretty good.Still tune in to WECR for the swap shop.It's a popular program here.

Am stereo you say?I thought they gave up on that years ago.I can recall back in the early 80's there being talk of it and,it was supposed to be better than fm stereo.Never did find a radio that offered am stereo though.

There's a directory of stations with AM stereo offerings on the web (one of a few) in our station FAQ page.

As far as receivers, they're on the secondary market everywhere! Carvin TX-11A's or the Realistic TM-152 for "old school" receivers for your home. In the car, the "Directed" brand HD radio adapter (add on with modulator and RCA cables) will add CQUAM to your auto, and many vehciles from the Chrysler family up through around 2003 had it built in to their RAZ model radios. We broadcast it for fun, and for the public interest it creates, plus, it raises awareness on our stream of how GOOD AM can sound in an era where many broadcasters are wasting their AM signals and not maintaining their "physical plants" for them...just letting 'em limp by.

Since WION was AM only for years, (and when we bought it) we wanted the BEST sound we could put out through our towers...and I believe we've achieved it!

Oh, and as Scott here said, some HD radios of today do CQUAM. The Radio Shack "Accurian" tabletop HD is one that is reported to do it. For techies, you can even get a cquam board and install it in your favorite home stereo, the Meduci company sells those on their site, and often on Ebay.

I have always thought radio was magical. When I was a little girl I always wanted to be on the radio. Yes I was on air talent for a while, did the producer thing, promotions thing, now I'm just a part time button pusher every once in a while to keep my hand in it. I am so excited to see this web-site and hear a great am station. To go back to the "when I was little" I would listen at night to see "hear" where the furthest station I could get was. I believe once I got an Indiana station, the skip must have been just right. I beleive it was Fort Wayne. Being a little girl in Ma it was the coolest thing. The magic started back then and Radio - the person thank you for continuing it for me. This is a little slice of it. Sorry for the long winded post. :)

Your post just made our day! Please don't apologize! Radio as a medium is meant to connect people. So is this forum, and Scott should be thanked for offering it!

Your kind words are nice to hear! Please keep listening to the stream! If you missed "Edwards Archives" it runs 3PM EST Sunday, and is exclusive to us. So is the daily "Turntable Trainwrecks" Randy hosts in our noon hour (again, EST) We believe we have a unique lineup of features, and, when we're not live in the studio, we try to be very "listenable" for long periods, and include local information as often as we can as well.

I have the BEST team anywhere, including my "behind the scenes" people! Member NE8E here is responsible for the streaming actually coming to life! He saw to it that all the details came together!

Keep listening!!!!

To go back to the "when I was little" I would listen at night to see "hear" where the furthest station I could get was.

I still do that on occasion...but alot of it is the "clear channel" (the type...not the owner) stations at night. Up at our lake house (2 hours north of Minneapolis) its even better as I can pick up some Canadian stations (besides the CBC)

The AM tuner on my home stereo receiver is horrible. I like the tuner Radio has pictured on his home page. (Carver TX-11a) I have been looking at them really hard on eBay. If I decide to go that route I may run an antenna in the attic. It would be a real hoot to pick up his station while DXing one night.

That IS the model. We have (2) onsite, one for engineering monitoring/studio monitoring, and one in my office, providing the stream. Excellent models. Best I've found so far.

At the moment, I got WION streaming through our facilities auditorium system...Am no sound engineer but have listen to enough radio/music in my life yet I can't tell the difference between AM Stereo or FM when the music is playing.

Cheers, K

AM stereo is a wonderful format we're proud to showcase! And, it's got a chance of a revival if trends continue!
Thanks for listening! Where are you showing off our station? We're glad to hear it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)