AM21 and HR23-700 off-air channel recording problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kurtsatl

Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Atlanta
I have the AM21 dual tuner connected to my HR23-700 HD DVR. The set up populated a list of local off air subchannels that are part of the directv channel lineup. The sub-channels record perfectly only when the TV(Sony Bravia with built in tuner) is turned on. I have tried leaving the AM21 and HR23 turned on but when I go to play the recorded programs from the list it goes to a black screen and the save or delete recording optionappears. The AM21 is connected to an antenna and has a good signal. Why would the TV have to be turned on to record these subchannels?? The only connection between the TV and the HR23 is a hdmi cable. The signal comes from the antenna and not the tv. I am very confused as to why it wont record and of the off-air channels with the tv turned off. Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

This is very strange! Is the AM21 connected to the HR23 or the Sony? It should be to the HR23. Is the HR23 connected to an amp or just the tv? If an amp, can you hear the audio from the AM21 without the tv on?

:welcome to Satellite Guys and great site that you will like alot and enjoy.Great people here :)

Is your AM21 and/or your HR23 and/or your SWM power pack plugged into any kind of switched power outlet (such as through a power center/conditioner/surge suppressor) that is only powered when your tv power is also on? That's one thing I can think of that might shut off power to the AM21 and/or HR23, causing it to miss a recording. If so, moving it/them to an unswitched power outlet would presumably solve the problem. Also wondering whether the new Power Saver settings that were recently added to our receivers via firmware download might be acting funny, or need a different setting.

I have the AM21 connected to the HR23 correctly with power cord and usb cable. The only connection to the tv is the hdmi cable from the HR23 DVR to the Sony TV. I have even tried leaving powered on the HR23 and the AM21 and the same thing happens. It will only record when the sony tv is powered on. It is a mystery to me. Directv is of no help and tell me that they no longer support the AM21. I even tried disconnecting the HDMI cable from the tv so that there was no connection at all between the TV and the Directv devices. Same thing happened. Records off air channels perfectly when the TV is powered on.

I have the AM21 connected to the HR23 correctly with power cord and usb cable. The only connection to the tv is the hdmi cable from the HR23 DVR to the Sony TV. I have even tried leaving powered on the HR23 and the AM21 and the same thing happens. It will only record when the sony tv is powered on. It is a mystery to me. Directv is of no help and tell me that they no longer support the AM21. I even tried disconnecting the HDMI cable from the tv so that there was no connection at all between the TV and the Directv devices. Same thing happened. Records off air channels perfectly when the TV is powered on. All of the devices are plugged into a surge protector but I can have the TV off and the HR23 and AM21 powered on. I can't figure out what the sony tv has to do with it. The antenna goes directly into the AM21 tuner and then into the HR23 with the usb cable. Nothing passes thru the TV.

Very curious! I have no idea what the problem could be. What happens when the tv is on but the hdmi isn't connected? How about if you start recording with the tv on, then turn it off?

Do you have some sort of home automation system or "master power switch" that controls your TV?

It sounds like the TV may be shunting the antenna lead when the power is cut.

A temporary solution may lie in an RF switch to take the TV out of the OTA loop.

What happens when the tv is on but the hdmi isn't connected?
The OP answered that question in post #5 (next to the last sentence).
How about if you start recording with the tv on, then turn it off?
This is an interesting idea. I'd want to keep careful track of the timing to see if it dies right away or some time after.

I still think it may have something to do with how the TV is "turned off" (is it on a switched outlet of the AVR for example).

The OP answered that question in post #5 (next to the last sentence).This is an interesting idea. I'd want to keep careful track of the timing to see if it dies right away or some time after.

I still think it may have something to do with how the TV is "turned off" (is it on a switched outlet of the AVR for example).

He did, but I wan't sure what his answer was based on the way it was written. I wanted to clear that up before going on.

Thanks for all of the info guys. I have tried starting recording with the tv turned on and the minute i cut power to the tv the recording stops. When I go to playback it shows the portion recorded with the TV turned on and then says all of program did not record because signal was lost. The antenna does not pass thru the tv so I don't understand. The off air antenna connects directly to the AM21. I turn off the Tv with the remote control. All of my power cords connect to a surge protector. Even with the HR34 and AM21 powered on it wont record off-air channels with the Tv powered off. I even tried disconnecting the hdmi cable from the HR34 to the tv so that there was absolutely no connection to the tv at all. The same thing happened. Could it have anything to do with the fact the sony bravia has a built in tuner? I have the TV connected to another separate off air antenna so that I can watch off air channels that Directv does not carry when I change the inputs. Hope that I am being clear enough in my explanations. Any help would be greatly appreciated becuase Directv wont help at all. Not sure what a RF switch is and how that could help. Thanks again, Kurt

You cleared up my questions and it only confused me more because I have no idea now what the problem might be! How about plugging everything into their own outlets instead of the surge protector. That's the only thing I can think of that might be at fault.

Ok I will try. The Directv guy is coming on Monday to install my whole home system. I will ask him if he has any ideas. Thanks for the ideas.
Kurt

The antenna does not pass thru the tv so I don't understand. The off air antenna connects directly to the AM21.
I'm assuming that the off air antenna (OTA) is split to feed the TV as well. Is this the case?

Consider that the TV may be shunting the OTA signal (soaking it all up so nothing is left) when it is powered off.

Have you tried disconnecting the OTA cable from the TV? If this works, you'll understand why I suggested trying an RF switch on the TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)