AM21 audio dropouts with HR34

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Has anyone else experienced a lot of audio dropouts when watching an OTA channel with the AM21N and HR34? When I first tune to a channel, the audio is fine. Then very brief dropouts start happening after about 20 minutes. The dropouts get longer and longer until eventually there's no audio at all.

Flipping the channel to something else and back will usually cure it, but the cycle will repeat.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone else experienced a lot of audio dropouts when watching an OTA channel with the AM21N and HR34? When I first tune to a channel, the audio is fine. Then very brief dropouts start happening after about 20 minutes. The dropouts get longer and longer until eventually there's no audio at all.

Flipping the channel to something else and back will usually cure it, but the cycle will repeat.

Any suggestions?

Hello JEFFinINDY,

I do not have an AM21N but I have an HR34. A few things come to mind. Check all connections between the AM21N and the HR34. Does the audio problem occur on only one, more than one or even all of the OTA channels? Check the signal strength before going to an OTA channel. When you have problems with the audio check the signal strength again. Record the OTA channel and another OTA channel and then listen live to one of the channels you are recording. Make a note of when you have audio dropouts. Play back both recorded OTA channels and see if both have problems and if they are at the same time on both recordings and also on the live broadcast or they are at different times. I hope that this points you in the right direction. :)

Thanks for the reply, but no patterns have been revealed. I'm wondering if it could be a problem with my receiver, an older Onkyo from around 2006. I'll try connecting the HR34 directly to the TV and see what happens.

I posted something on this in the tech forum, and did not realize you had a thread. Mine does the same thing, but it's only happened one time, during a live football broadcast. It was reoccurring and annoying.

"Then very brief dropouts start happening after about 20 minutes. The dropouts get longer and longer until eventually there's no audio at all"

I posted something on this in the tech forum, and did not realize you had a thread. Mine does the same thing, but it's only happened one time, during a live football broadcast. It was reoccurring and annoying.

"Then very brief dropouts start happening after about 20 minutes. The dropouts get longer and longer until eventually there's no audio at all"

Interesting- did you find a solution? And do you use a receiver between the HR34 and your TV by chance?

The problem definitely seems to be worse on some channels, and I also see it a lot on football games and live events.

Well, removing the AVR from the equation didn't change anything. For me I get the problem on numerous channels - 13, 23, 59 (NBC, MyTV, Fox) are the worst. I'm not sure if it's happened on 6 or 8 (ABC, CBS).

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue..

I am new to Directv and have the same issue.. All local OTA channels clip audio after about 45 minutes the clipping gets longer until there is no audio.

:welcome to Satelliteguys ctreptow!
Hey, wait a minute, you joined almost nine years ago and this is your first post? :)
Anyway, try some of the advice above, like removing an avr from the possibilities. A reset of your receiver/dvr might help, probably not!
Is it only local channels? Please describe your setup.

The AM21 is pretty much unusable for me. A couple of stations don't have the problem, but most of them do. I may try to replace my AVR at some point as it's 6 or 7 years old now, but it's working fine aside from this issue (if indeed it's related at all to this issue...).

I have the same problem. Only on select OTA channels that have been on for approx 1.5 hours. Happens every time on those channels. Sent e-mail to D* with the issue, and they told me to call the 800 number. Called the number, and they told me that they had no information on this issue. So, it seems that I'll just continue to cycle the channel when it happens.

By the way, the OTA channels do not have guide information (the guide just says 'Regular Programming' all the time).

By the way, the OTA channels do not have guide information (the guide just says 'Regular Programming' all the time).

all of them or just some?
If a station is not in the Directv database it wont show up in the list unless you have a HR34/Genie. The HR34 can "Scan" in the missing stations.

If a station is not in the Directv database it wont show up in the list unless you have a HR34/Genie. The HR34 can "Scan" in the missing stations.

For me, there are a few channels that don't have this problem. Most do - some better some worse.

Too bad there's not a way to get this problem on someone's radar. Calling a massive call center won't get something like this solved.

Only the two local PBS stations are listed as "Regular Programming" all the time; the others (ABC, CBS, Fox) have the correct Guide information. I have the HR34 and four C31 clients, with the AM21n.

for Wheeling these stations have guide info

WTRFDT 7.1
WTRFDT2 7.2
WTRFDT3 7.3
WTOVDT 9.1
WTOVDT2 9.2
WOUCDT 44.1
WOUCDT2 44.2
WOUCDT3 44.3

I assume the PBS you are talking about is the low powered translator of WVPBS?

I have this problem as well. I have tried it via HDMI to the TV and through the AVR, it seems to make no difference.
It happens only on one station, WBRC usually after I have watched it for about an hour or so.
I have to flip up to the next channel, then back and it fixes it for a while.
I have tried two different AM21's with it both have the same result.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)