AM21 H25 compatible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

oscarg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Is the older model AM21 compatible with an HD H25/100 (non dvr)? Thinking of picking one up to pull in my local subchannels.

as long as the H25 has a USB port (I think it does) then yes it will work

Thanks. It does have a USB port. I can find information online on how to connect an AM21 to a Directv DVR, but the power cord on the AM21 doesn't seem to fit/connect anywhere on the H25 non DVR. Information I find says to take the power cord connected to the AM21 and connect to the receiver, then take the power cord that came with the receiver and connect to the AM21. The power cord connectors are different sizes/shapes between the 2 units. What am I missing?

As always, thanks for all information. This site is my go to place for any DirecTV questions and 9.9 times out of 10 I find my answer.

I am sorry i don't think it will work i had an install for directv and we had to change the h25 for an h24 ..... then again i could be wrong but you can find the manuals you need at signallocked.com scroll to the bottom and on the left hand side you'll see a tab for manuals

per solid signal it will work with the H25

Works with the H25. (Will need to reset H25 after adding)

For the HR21/PRO HR22 R22 HR23 H24 HR24, HR34 and H25

per solid signal it will work with the H25

Works with the H25. (Will need to reset H25 after adding)

For the HR21/PRO HR22 R22 HR23 H24 HR24, HR34 and H25

I took a look at solid signal and see the note about it working with the H25, but it's noted on the new AM21N model. Maybe that is the true compatible version. The power cords/power inputs between the older AM21 and H25 are definitely 2 diferent shapes from what I'm seeing in all the manuals on line, so unless the USB overrides the power need, I don't think the AM21 power cord will connect to the H25. Have a chance to pick up the older model AM21 fairly cheap, but don't want to be stuck with it if the power cords are not compatible. Thanks again for all the information.

The AM21 is dimensionally and functionally identical to the AM21.

Use of the power pass-through has never been a requirement. It is there simply to save on outlet usage (since outlets are at a premium in modern AV systems).

I took a look at solid signal and see the note about it working with the H25, but it's noted on the new AM21N model. Maybe that is the true compatible version. The power cords/power inputs between the older AM21 and H25 are definitely 2 diferent shapes from what I'm seeing in all the manuals on line, so unless the USB overrides the power need, I don't think the AM21 power cord will connect to the H25. Have a chance to pick up the older model AM21 fairly cheap, but don't want to be stuck with it if the power cords are not compatible. Thanks again for all the information.

you need to plug both in to the wall. This is the only model that I know of that does that

OK, I think I finally got it. The power pass through cord from the AM21 will not fit the H25, therefore sounds like I will need to purchase a power cord for the AM21, as it only comes with an attached power pass through cord. This is the only way I can see it working...having a power cord for each unit plugged into the wall as Iceberg states.

The AM21 comes with the correct power cord to plug in the wall. They have a note in the box about the H25

just plug in the AM21 to the wall
USB port to the H25
you will have to red button reboot the H25 to get to the antenna screen.

If you need a power cord you can get them at any big box retailer. Radio Shack has them too

The H25 does not have a built-in power supply as do most other DirecTV HR receivers. You will need to leave the "wall wart" power supply plugged in as well as the AM21. Don't try to power the two units off of one cord.

Hello,
I got DIRECTV and I live in Montreal Canada. So far everything is working perfect, but I can not pick any local channels which is normal, I am thinking in buying the AM21N to connect it to the H25 receiver in order to get some Canadian local news channels, I have read this thread and I know it is possible to hook it up. but I was reading the manual of the AM21N and during the set-up, it says something about you have to put the ZIP code and so on, My DIRECTV is registered in New york City, so I do not if I am going to have problem when inserting the ZIP CODE My question is:
Am I going to be able to watch the local channels in Montreal (Canada) using this AM21N??
Thanks

Probably not as aside from the genie, the receivers dont scan, they add channels from a database if the signal is present, and canadian zipcodes include letters where us dont. Plus your not legally alloud to have dtv in canada.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Am I going to be able to watch the local channels in Montreal (Canada) using this AM21N??
Thanks

no.
Since it uses a database based on zip codes it wont work unless you can pick up a US station
There are no Canadian stations in the database (not even on border cities like Detroit). I just verified

Thanks a lot, I did not know the channels are added to a database, so I guess there is not any Canadian channels added to that DB + ZIP CODE includes letters I guess I have to find another solution.

P.S: I know DIRECTV is illegal in Canada, I am one of the lucky one who was able to installed and it works, you have to understand that Canadian satellite services in Canada is s**t, especially in Quebec where by law half of the channels must be in French language.

If you have a good antenna, point it toward Mt. Mansfield and use 05401 for your first zip and you will get Burlington locals. For the second zip, find an American city with the right channels. I know of people in Montreal who successfully do this. Your Montreal locals will have incorrect guide info, but they will be viewable. Or get a genie and the Montreal locals will scan and say "regular schedule". Hope is not lost!

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)