AM21 Repair

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Actually, replacement cost wise, he’s out about $100 now, since they go for at least that usually on the used market. Of course if it’s just working at 25% capacity or so, he’s not out much.
He wouldn't be replacing it with another AM21, or at least I wouldn't ... I would wait till the new one ones out if I were to replace anything.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
He wouldn't be replacing it with another AM21, or at least I wouldn't ... I would wait till the new one ones out if I were to replace anything.
Yup.
Either it will work properly (I am pretty sure it will) or I'll just leave it be then try to be patient for a couple of LCC's.

Caps arrived this morning. Removing the old ones from the board were tough. Through hole solder and it seemed to be high temp solder as well. One at a time, watching polarity. Took old me close to an hour, just to R&R four caps.Hooked it up, only tuner 2 came to 100% (up from 25%) Tuner 1 was still 25%. Crap. poor workmanship. Apart it came for a resoldering. Resoldered all, ensure flow through the holes. Damn bad eyesight! Reconnected, both tuners to 100% Success!

Caps arrived this morning. Removing the old ones from the board were tough. Through hole solder and it seemed to be high temp solder as well. One at a time, watching polarity. Took old me close to an hour, just to R&R four caps.Hooked it up, only tuner 2 came to 100% (up from 25%) Tuner 1 was still 25%. Crap. poor workmanship. Apart it came for a resoldering. Resoldered all, ensure flow through the holes. Damn bad eyesight! Reconnected, both tuners to 100% Success!

Cool, good news

Repair failed.
While the caps were bad, some other SMD solder joint must of been bad as well and the process of handling it must of made them 're-connect'. A buddy who is a electronics expert took a look and without test manuals, was only able to confirm the RF section was working and outputting a signal. Where that signal went into a chip to become a digitized stream, he was unable to check without a service manual. Proprietary chips.

Repair failed.
While the caps were bad, some other SMD solder joint must of been bad as well and the process of handling it must of made them 're-connect'. A buddy who is a electronics expert took a look and without test manuals, was only able to confirm the RF section was working and outputting a signal. Where that signal went into a chip to become a digitized stream, he was unable to check without a service manual. Proprietary chips.

Call Directv and see if they will replace it.

Worth a shot

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts