Amazon Echo/Dot Commands

Go to Settings > Amazon Alexa and follow the instructions. It is still working just fine... a few bugs (mainly command recognition) but overall great.
All I can see to do is set up another Echo device. I'm lost!

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Well now, YES. You sent me on the wrong path going to Settings.

I think what he meant was that you go to Settings -> Amazon Alexa ON THE HOPPER...not settings inside the Alexa App. From there, the Hopper walks you through the process, part of which IS completed using the Alexa App.

Reactions: KAB
OK, for those like me who did not know how to inegrate Echo to Hopper 3....

1. Open Alexa Ap
2. Open Music, Video, and Books
3. Select Dish Logo
4. Choose connect...wait for confirmation. You will be instructed to go to Hopper for activation code

Go to Hopper

4, Go to settings...Alexa.
5. Request code to pair with Alexa

Back to Alexa Ap

6. Enter code from Hopper

Note: Hobbytalk provided most info. I am just trying to make to a bit more :"linear".

OK, for those like me who did not know how to inegrate Echo to Hopper 3....
Note: Hobbytalk provided most info. I am just trying to make to a bit more :"linear".

No, I actually did it the other way starting on the Hopper which told me to open the Alexa app to enter the code.

Maybe we can compile a list of commands that can be used with the Amazon Echo/Dot to control the Hopper. I can start a list on this first post and add on to it to help others using this feature. If you have any that aren't listed just post a reply and I'll edit this post.

Known Commands
  • Alexa, tune to (or go to) *channel* (NBC, Fox, Discovery, History, HOB, etc) = Tunes to desired channel
  • Alexa, tune to (or go to) channel *number* (9, 20 16, etc) = Tunes to desired channel
  • Alexa, pause = pause current channel
  • Alexa, resume = resume paused channel
  • Alexa, fast forward = jump recording 30 seconds
  • Alexa, skip forward *number* (one, two, etc.) minutes = skip ahead that number of minutes
  • Alexa, skip back *number* (one, two, etc.) minutes = skip back that number of minutes
I downloaded the new interface to my Hopper 2 (or whatever designation pre-Hopper 3) and installed Alexa. Followed the instructions and observed the following
  • Command recognition erratic with Alexa. When it worked, NICE!
  • Lost the ability to start DVR fare. The Hopper went into a strange fast forwarding mode, not playing the recording. The two Joeys I have didn't have this issue.
  • Due to the two issues above, I discontinued the Alexa skill and DVR play was restored on the Hopper.
  • One additional thing with the new look on the Hopper. I can no longer select HD Only on the EPG. I don't view SD stations. I know that I could set up my own but this would entail a lot of work and if new or existing stations (such as TVLand - available on DirecTv) were presented in HD, this would not be picked up by a custom EPG.

Can someone reply how this works with multiple Joey's. I do not want to have the hopper change the channel on all televisions, just one television/Joey. Do I need multiple Dot's or can I move a single Dot next to the TV that I want to control.

Thanks,

Mike Cameron

Can someone reply how this works with multiple Joey's. I do not want to have the hopper change the channel on all televisions, just one television/Joey. Do I need multiple Dot's or can I move a single Dot next to the TV that I want to control.

Thanks,

Mike Cameron

From what I've seen so far and what others have said this only works on Hopper and Wally, at least for now the Joeys are not supported. I'm hoping that will be coming in a future update though.

• Command recognition erratic with Alexa. When it worked, NICE!

Add "On Dish" to an Alexa command for the Hopper to let Alexa know a common media control command (like resume) is for Dish.

For me, I have noticed that when I haven't used Alexa to control the Hopper for awhile (several hours+), it sometime doesn't recognize I'm trying to control the Hopper when I ask it for common tasks like pause/resume. This happens frequently when I walk into a room and someone has paused the TV with a regular Dish remote control. I say "Alexa Resume" and she reports she doesn't know what was playing. I say "Alexa resume on Dish" and it works. After adding "On Dish" once to a command, Alexa seems to know for awhile (via context) that most of the other common control commands (pause/resume/skip,etc) are meant for the Hopper without adding "On Dish"

Reactions: srheug and navychop
No, for guide. It will play DVR recordings BY NAME, if it is a virgin watch, without autohop. Otherwise, you will need the remote.

Add "On Dish" to an Alexa command for the Hopper to let Alexa know a common media control command (like resume) is for Dish.

For me, I have noticed that when I haven't used Alexa to control the Hopper for awhile (several hours+), it sometime doesn't recognize I'm trying to control the Hopper when I ask it for common tasks like pause/resume. This happens frequently when I walk into a room and someone has paused the TV with a regular Dish remote control. I say "Alexa Resume" and she reports she doesn't know what was playing. I say "Alexa resume on Dish" and it works. After adding "On Dish" once to a command, Alexa seems to know for awhile (via context) that most of the other common control commands (pause/resume/skip,etc) are meant for the Hopper without adding "On Dish"

I have noticed this also. Alexa stopped recognizing commands for the Hopper, but when I added "ON DISH" to the end of the command everything worked fine. I didn't need to add "ON DISH" after that for awhile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)