Amazon Movie Audio - Any options? Also another question...

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Hi all. I'm new to this streaming stuff. Since I'm an Amazon Prime member I figured I should try to get the most out of it, so I've been watching movies for the past few weeks using my new laptop as the "server". It's connected to my A/V receiver via HDMI. I'm quite surprised that I can watch the HD content in "real time" with virtually no glitches over my slowest-possible DSL. The video quality is not the best but acceptable, more like "HD-lite". (I can see a difference between an HD and SD version of the same movie.)

I'm sure some of those movies are rendered in 5.1 SS audio, but my A/V receiver is not indicating that it's receiving SS and I can't discern anything other than L/R stereo. Is there some Amazon setting I need to adjust? So far I haven't found anything. (Note to self - make sure the HDMI 6 input on the receiver isn't set for just 2-ch reproduction - just thought of that!) Or maybe this is a HW limitation with my Vaio 'puter?

Also - About 20 mins. into any movie, the video drops back from full screen. I then need to click the full screen icon again, and I get a dialog box asking if I want to watch in full screen (d'uuhhh!). Once I click "yes" it stays in full screen for the duration. How can I make stay in full screen from the beginning? (I don't know what the "pop out" function does - is that my answer?)

Tks all!

I'm enjoying my "free" movies immensely otherwise...!

I would first connect your HDMI cable up, turn on the TV and Receiver, switch the Receiver to the HDMI port that the computer is connect to and then boot your computer. Next, check your computer sound selections. Assuming you are using Win 7, select the Control Panel an then Sound. In the Playback tab, your Receiver should be listed. Highlight the Reciever, then press the Configure button. The computer should have detected the sound capabilities and list them (i.e. Stereo, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1)... Select the one you want and test it...

Not sure about keeping the screen full. I use my Roku device or my TV apps to watch Netflix and Amazon. You can pick up a refurb Roku pretty cheap, for example:
Roku 2XS (1080p) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1J8-000M-00001
Roku 2500r (720p) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3ZF1A19342

Agree with Concord. I find that I get good connectivity with my BluRay player and with my Roku box. I wouldn't mess with the laptop except to experiment. Roku has a better user interface. I have no problems with 5.1 audio from either source.

I know you must have a connected BluRay player.

Yep, like concord said you need to set up your computer to output in 5.1 first. I had to do this with my gaming PC to enjoy 5.1 sound hooked up to my AVR through HDMI too. Even if you do that Amazon might not support 5.1 on PC anyways though. I know Netflix didn't at first but I think their new app for Windows 8 finally allows. it.

I also agree with Concord and Jayn that you should use a dedicated streaming box instead of the PC. Yes the PC can access all of these services but I have found that picture and audio quality with some of them is just better on a device designed specifically for your TV. MLB.tv for example, looks and souds like crap when I try to watch it on my PC connected to my TV. It is much better on my Apple TV, Roku, and PS3.

Tks all for the hints. I have a first gen. Sony BD player, BDP-S550, IIRC. It has an Ethernet connection that I believe was more for enabling interactive BDs and SW updates. I never connected it! I wonder if that old player could access the streaming content? Maybe with an update. I'll have to check into it. No Wi-Fi on that unit - I'll have to hard-wire it to the router. I think I have a long Ethernet cable somewhere...

Currently running Win 8.1. Without the system connected, Sound/Player only shows the resident device. I'll follow Concord's instructions tonight.

Time to start shopping for a Roku or equivalent. Those prices certainly won't break the bank...!

UPDATE 01/16/14: Worked through the computer configuration to select 7.1 (it was indeed on stereo) and also checked the compatible encoding. However, still no joy on the 5.1 SS. I played several recent movies and heard nothing in the side/rear channels unless I selected Pro Logic or such. I'm guessing the Amazon offerings are not rendered in 5.1 DD? More experimentation/research pending. Apparently connecting a Roku won't help me as far as the sound goes unless I decide to subscribe to another service, which is unlikely.

Last edited:
5.1 audio isn't support on the computer connection. You'll need a streaming device that supports Amazon and particularly 5.1 audio on Amazon. The last two years of Sony players have, ROKU does also, along with the PS4 and XBoxOne. Panasonic players do not at this time. Your 550 will not.

S~

Thanks. Interesting - and a bit frustrating! So even tho' I can configure the Vaio "Fit"/Win 8.1 for 5.1 (2 options) or 7.1, the 'puter's HDMI output doesn't pass it? Wonder why Windows provides the option if the hardware that runs it doesn't support it?

Guess I'm back in the market for a Roku 3...

Last edited:
Thanks. Interesting - and a bit frustrating! So even tho' I can configure the Vaio "Fit"/Win 8.1 for 5.1 (2 options) or 7.1, the 'puter's HDMI output doesn't pass it? Wonder why Windows provides the option if the hardware that runs it doesn't support it?

Guess I'm back in the market for a Roku 3...

Windows 8.1 definitely supports 5.1 and 7.1 audio. I use it every day through my Onkyo for video games on my main TV. The problem is that the web player versions of Netflix and Amazon don't support 5.1. Netflix got around this by releasing a Windows 8 app in the Metro UI that does support 5.1. Apparently Amazon hasn't done this yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts