AMC-1 DVB-S2?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gdavisloop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Hi, I'm trying to get AMC-1 Ku DVB-S2 (12000/30000/ 5/6 / pilot on).
I've tried the Galaxy Marketing 36" dish (WS9036) but the signal seems a bit weak.

One odd thing happened when I was trying to tune it in. I have a great satellite signal meter (analog meter) that recognizes most satellites. But, I found AMC-1 in a place where the meter says there is no signal! Not a weak signal, but a space between satellites... any ideas why?

I'm aware that the LNB should be rotated a bit for AMC-1, although the offset listed doesn't seem too much different than the other satellites in that area... anyway, I did try fine-tuning this.

So after looking at AMC's official chart, they suggest a .9m dish is a bit small for way out here on the SoCal coast, so I'm looking at a 4 foot or 4.5 foot dish.

Questions: In this application, what are the advantages of a prime-focus dish (Pansat 4.5m) over the typical offset-feed dish? The Prime focus dish seems deeper which would mean it's more selective, but is selectivity my problem?

Any idea why the signal meter seems to be either zero or nulled where my receiver is finding the satellite?

Has anyone tried to receive DVB-S2 off AMC-1 with a small dish? How did that go?

thanks!
--Gary

First off, I'd suggest making sure that thing is well-skewed, like it was at 74 West instead. I know it was mentioned, but it really is that weird compared to other birds in that area.

Second, I can get AMC1 pretty good with a 31" Dish, so you should be fine with that one. How does Pentagon come in? What box are you using?

Pentagon?

Pentagon comes in great with a Pansat 4500 (up to 80 qual), a bit glitchy with Pansat 6000HXC, and not at all with Pansat 9200HD (53 qual, no lock).
--Gary

I don't know much about the Pansats, but what is threshold?

I get the S-2 channels fine (not fantastic, but almost always there) up in Minneapolis on a 31" so I doubt a larger dish would help too much. The maps on Lyngsat give So.Cal a better chance than Minnesota.

Until someone knows more about the box chimes in, I'd recommend messing with the LNB skew on Pentegon until you get a good signal, and then make sure everything else is there. I've been doing tweaks with a box and old analog TV for long enough that I'm used to not having a meter -- even though they help get you in the ballpark.

S2?

Disco, are you saying you're getting the -S2 channels on AMC1?
What receiver are you using? What Q are you getting?
And what Q do you get on Pentagon with that receiver?
thanks!
--Gary

Let's see, IIRC (and I'll check this in a few hours when I'm at home)

Coolsat 8100, and I get between 80-99% on the Pentagon Channels -- and only about 40% at best on the S2 stuff. Those S2 signals are picky, and nudging it with my motor is a big part of the ritual of getting them :)

FYI, those 4:2:2 feeds on 11880 are at 99% as well.

Oh, and the LNB is a .2, which may have an effect on those numbers.

Coolsat

Great, I'm getting a Coolsat tomorrow so we can compare apples and apples (but not Apples). Also I plan to have the dish locked down on AMC-1 so hopefully get it aligned better than a moving dish. Now if I only knew why NASA is 25 minutes late with the Moon coverage...
--Gary

After quick check, things were a little lower today -

Pentagon was around 90%, and the 12000 mux was just below what I could get. On the other hand, 11760 was around 30% and coming in just fine. Same settings, different frequency -- so that mux may come in better for you.

I may not have the LNB at the sweet spot yet, but that's what I could find so far..

The threshold on the Pansats are 40 so it should be fine

As noted above, the AMC1 skew is off...big time....here in MN I turn it 20 degrees like if I was aimed at H2 (74)....basically the skew should be 25 degrees opposite what it should be.

I can get them fine on a 30" dish here in MN

Hi, I'm trying to get AMC-1 Ku DVB-S2 (12000/30000/ 5/6 / pilot on).
I've tried the Galaxy Marketing 36" dish (WS9036) but the signal seems a bit weak.

One odd thing happened when I was trying to tune it in. I have a great satellite signal meter (analog meter) that recognizes most satellites. But, I found AMC-1 in a place where the meter says there is no signal! Not a weak signal, but a space between satellites... any ideas why?

I'm aware that the LNB should be rotated a bit for AMC-1, although the offset listed doesn't seem too much different than the other satellites in that area... anyway, I did try fine-tuning this.

So after looking at AMC's official chart, they suggest a .9m dish is a bit small for way out here on the SoCal coast, so I'm looking at a 4 foot or 4.5 foot dish.

Questions: In this application, what are the advantages of a prime-focus dish (Pansat 4.5m) over the typical offset-feed dish? The Prime focus dish seems deeper which would mean it's more selective, but is selectivity my problem?

Any idea why the signal meter seems to be either zero or nulled where my receiver is finding the satellite?

Has anyone tried to receive DVB-S2 off AMC-1 with a small dish? How did that go?

thanks!
--Gary

I'm in Michigan, and I don't any problem with that DVB-S2 tp, even without skewing the lnbf, on a Fortec 90cm. Dish size may be an issue, and certainly precise aim with the DVB-S2 transponders.
:)

AMC 1 is a real pain here in Northern California. I have a 90cm Fortec and a 7 1/2 foot KTI mesh C/Ku dish. I can't lock the S2 muxes on either dish. The NBC 4:2:2 feeds that used to be there came in fine. As do the Microspace and Pentagon muxes. The NBC SNG signals are marginal though. I can't wait for the launch of AMC1R next year.

AMC 1 is a real pain here in Northern California. I have a 90cm Fortec and a 7 1/2 foot KTI mesh C/Ku dish. I can't lock the S2 muxes on either dish. The NBC 4:2:2 feeds that used to be there came in fine. As do the Microspace and Pentagon muxes. The NBC SNG signals are marginal though. I can't wait for the launch of AMC1R next year.

I'm just South of you and I get one of the DVB-S2 TPs ok, but the other is weak and normally below threshold. This is on a motorized Fortec Star 90 with Invacom Quad and no skew compensation. I'm guessing if I adjusted skew my quality would be significantly better, but I really want to setup a fixed dish. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)