AMC-14 Satellite Slated for March 15 Launch

Nice to hear that DISH...

is getting a new sat up next month. What I'm waiting to hear is when the hell they're going to replace that hunk of space junk, the 129. That will be a day to celebrate.

is getting a new sat up next month. What I'm waiting to hear is when the hell they're going to replace that hunk of space junk, the 129. That will be a day to celebrate.

We may have to wait til the end of the year to celebrate.:(

There is the possibility that the E-5 satellite will either be replaced or supplemented after the E-11 satellite is launched to 110 W in the May/June timframe. The E-6 and/or the E-8 satellites maybe available for this.

E*5 is about to decommission itself. It's old, and there is another satellite, but half of it has to be used for Canadian services. That's 16 of 32 transponders.

We do not know the amount that has to be used for Canada. All that has been announced is that Dish will have at least half the capacity. With spot beams it is quite possible to use more than half and have half still available for Canada. Dish could get 16 CONUS TPs plus the spot, the spots could be reused in Canada. Lets say there were 8 spot TPs, Dish could use the 8 TPs down in the US for LiL HD. The same TPs could be used for Canada spots (or even make a spot of the entire country if Dish's spots were not too close to the boarder). This would give Dish an effective 24 TPs.

With the announcement of new HD locals being added, which satellite will they most likely go on?
The new HD locals announced by E* will most probably be located on 61.5. E* is in the process of firing up the spot beams on E12. Spots are usually used for HD locals and RSN's.

Sky Angel sat will be used also when it goes off March 31. Will be interesting on how Dish will use this sat.

There is no Sky Angel satellite. They were using 2 transponders on Echo3 in exchange for 6 transponders (out of a total authority of 8) already given over to Dish use. So... Come April 1, Dish will gain a net 2 transponders.

We do not know the amount that has to be used for Canada. All that has been announced is that Dish will have at least half the capacity. With spot beams it is quite possible to use more than half and have half still available for Canada. Dish could get 16 CONUS TPs plus the spot, the spots could be reused in Canada. Lets say there were 8 spot TPs, Dish could use the 8 TPs down in the US for LiL HD. The same TPs could be used for Canada spots (or even make a spot of the entire country if Dish's spots were not too close to the boarder). This would give Dish an effective 24 TPs.

I think I read this concept somewhere else, I wonder where?:rolleyes:

It is the Ciel-2 satellite that is being built to be launched to the 129 W DBS slot and the announcement of contract award stated that it will have a great deal of spotbeam capacity. The big limitation on this satellite is going to be power but it does not preclude the possibility that it will have a great deal of flexibility when it comes to CONUS TPs and U.S. spotbeams because of the unknown Canadian demand that will affect how much capacity Dish will have use of. Dish has provided funding for the construction of this satellite, I believe at least $100 million perhaps more so one has to assume that any design flexibility will be so that Dish can maximize its useage in the U.S. The affect of power limitations on the Ciel-2 satellite related to maximizing Dish's use of the 129 W slot could be greatly diminshed if Dish would be allowed to move another satellite there such as the E-6 satellite to provide CONUS TPs in conjunction with the Ciel-2 satellite.

Remember also that just like in the U.S. the 129 W slot is really unuseable in the east because of the low look angle and the farther north one goes the worse it gets. So the 129 W slot is not very useful for where the majority of the Canadian population resides which should limit Canadian demand for this slot.

What are the specs/totals of AMC14 for national and spot? Im seriously considering going with the HD only package because I'm tired of paying $85 a month for a majority of channels that dont show crap. Im hoping I can get ota set up in my new place and Ill just go with the plan minus locals.

If AMC has plenty of spot, I hope it means Ill get Norfolk locals before fall if I cant get them OTA. Can live with sd that long.

Cox is not an option for me unless they get ext storage, 20hours of HD on a moto box is embarrasing.

AMC-14 does not have spot beams. It is "CONUS" well at least for the lower 48. E12/R1 is the satellite that has spot beam capacity which is not turned on at this time, but looks like (by the way they are arranging programming on the TPs) it is ready to be turned on.

AMC-14 does not have spot beams. It is "CONUS" well at least for the lower 48. E12/R1 is the satellite that has spot beam capacity which is not turned on at this time, but looks like (by the way they are arranging programming on the TPs) it is ready to be turned on.

Ah, gotcha. Thats what I was thinking of.

I've pretty much decided to go with the Dish HD plan. Ill get a 722 and have picked out the antenna Ill use(about 35 miles out) for OTA, so my reception should be fine. Wont be bad paying $50 for that deal with ota locals. Cox is cheaper than D*, but the dvr sucks. Im tired of paying $85 for tv so Im done with D*. Dont get me wrong, its a great setup, I just dont watch national channels enough, 80% of our recording right now is OTA locals.

I dropped E* in Sept because I felt D* would have Norfolk locals by the time I moved. Wrong.

SpaceFlightNow posted a launch time:

March 14 Proton • AMC 14
Launch time: 2318 GMT (7:18 p.m. EDT)
Launch site: Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan

An International Launch Services Proton rocket with a Breeze M upper stage will launch the AMERICOM 14 communications spacecraft. The Lockheed Martin-built satellite will be used for EchoStar's DISH Network service. [Feb. 29]​

SpaceFlightNow's "Worldwide Lauch Schedule" can be found at "http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html"

Also, International Launch Services has a blog for this launch on their own website at "http://www.ilslaunch.com/ils/amc-14/".
Sounds like verything is going smoothly so far.

Amc 14

Any one hear if dish is going to broadcast the launch? From what I can find out ILS is placing a C band feed on AMC 1.

Maybe someone should tell the navy that E* lost control of 129 and they will shoot it down. Then theyd have to replace it, maybe with E* 6. :rolleyes:

129 is ok but I they will be putting a new Sat there this year just like their doing at 61.5. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)