AMC 14 Status?

Bradtothebone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
KC Area
I see on N2YO that AMC 14's orbit is getting closer to circular (30,000 x 36,000 km +/-) and closer to equatorial. Makes me wonder about a few things:

1. Who owns it?
2. Who is controlling it?
3. Is it healthy?
4. Is there any chance at all that E* could still lease it from the present owner if they can get it to 61.5?

I know that at one time the Government was going to buy it, but I don't know if that ever happened. If they didn't, I presume the insurance co owns it?

Brad

I'm pretty sure it's confirmed from some filing: the government owns it. I heard that to save fuel, they will leave it in an inclined orbit. Useless for us. I doubt if they took the inclination to zero there would be much fuel. I have no clue what the government plans to do with it.

HDRoberts is right. AMC 14 is still at an inclination of nearly 15 degrees. A circular orbit at geosync altitude is better than it was earlier... But it won't be geostationary without a 0 deg inclination. The owner probably has a number of tracking antennas. That is what you would need to use that satellite in an inclined orbit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)