AMC 15 on the move

BCH

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Atlanta GA
Not sure when it started but AMC 15 appears to be headed west.
Click image to enlarge.

Attachments

• amc15.JPG
    amc15.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 343
I can hardly wait until its up and running at 105. I have had several large storms blow through my area with high winds which detuned my superdish for about 6 points. This doesn't sound like much but when only getting a 74 at best it really hurts. According to the weatherman I'm going to get hit with high winds again today. That superdish is one big wind sail.

The information from LyngSat is not accurate. AMC-15 was moved to 113 W for additional Ka band testing. Often LyngSat puts in initial move rates and then doesn't change them right away so that is why it shows that AMC-15 has moved past 113 W. AMC-15 should stay at 113 W for probably 60 days. It is required to begin its move to 105 W no later than May 21, 2005.

when that happens should it raise the signal strenght on the superdish ? we only get about 65-70 here in NC

fishman said:
when that happens should it raise the signal strenght on the superdish ? we only get about 65-70 here in NC

The current satellite at 105 W is AMC-2 which has 60 watt transponders. AMC-15 has 140 watt transponders so your signal strength should increase substantially for the 105 W transponders.

Poke said:
Any word on the AMC 16 which was launched in DEC 2004??

AMC-16 is currently at 85 W, its planned final location undergoing Ka band testing. The Ku band testing for AMC-16 has already been completed. Note that AMC-15 and 16 are basically identical satellites with both having Ku and Ka band capability. The Ku band is what AMC-2 is using currently at 105 W.

At the request of Dish, SES Americom has applied to the FCC to temporarily move AMC-16 to 97 W to perform further Ka band testing. Dish holds a Ka band license at 97 W. I believe this application had AMC-16 returning to 85 W sometime in May which would probably mean that any programming would start no earlier than June. The application has been stalled at the FCC for over a month maybe two months now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts