AMC 21 FootPrint

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

greggor48

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
Can someone tell me how strong is AMC 21 footprint. I have my 120cm on Galaxy 18 at 123W and want to stack an LNBF for AMC 21 at 125W. I am in the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me how strong is AMC 21 footprint. I have my 120cm on Galaxy 18 at 123W and want to stack an LNBF for AMC 21 at 125W. I am in the Caribbean.

Hi Greggor,

Took a bit to find a decent EIRP map for the Ku band of AMC 21's Caribbean beam, but here it is.

I also included the US Beam map as well, for anyone else who might be interested and for comparison.
I went to SES Americom to find this. They have information about the rest of the AMC satellite fleet if you are interested.

(http)://www.ses-americom.com/americom_2008/siteSections/technical/satelliteFleet/index.php

RADAR

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_06 Apr. 14 02.46.gif
    ScreenHunter_06 Apr. 14 02.46.gif
    181.4 KB · Views: 585
  • ScreenHunter_07 Apr. 14 02.47.gif
    ScreenHunter_07 Apr. 14 02.47.gif
    162.9 KB · Views: 708
sound off:

Isn't it all AC3 audio?
Can you connect your optical or coaxial sound output to a hi-fi amp or other decoder?

edit: and unrelated to sound, how good a signal are you getting?

Isn't it all AC3 audio?
Can you connect your optical or coaxial sound output to a hi-fi amp or other decoder?

edit: and unrelated to sound, how good a signal are you getting?

Anole,

Out of all the channels that I detect from 125W, Montana PBS is the only channel that is not broadcast in AC3 audio.

Radar

echo, Echo, ECHO !

Well if you'll look at the time stamps, I was typing while you were posting, Ice. :D
I think Radar just wanted to pound home the need for an AC3 decoder. :up
Surprised nobody has given a link to the famous SonicVoom, yet. :cool:

Sonic Voom for decoding AC3:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/156406-besides-g18.html#post1607936
Cyberhome CH-SRD 600R for decoding AC3:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/163105-ac3-audio.html#post1684029
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/163105-ac3-audio.html#post1684137

I think Radar just wanted to pound home the need for an AC3 decoder. :up

Anole,

Yes, that is correct. Meaning that with only one channel being offered with standard audio, a person needs an AC3 decoder. I also disconnected my SPDIF cable to doublecheck if the other channels might be broadcasting BOTH formats and they are not.

But, not to dwell on that, my reason for responding now was to mention something else.

I just happened to be channel surfing and satellite surfing and scanning and ran across something very nice.

On 125.0 W AMC 21 TP 12.163 H SR 4.444 MS/s channel TV 11-12.163H AMC 21 as it scanned in for me I found a broadcast of the original movie "The Magnificent Seven" with no commercials.

This is one of my favorite western movies! A classic!

Awesome audio and video reception, quality at 91%.

Must have started at 11:00 am central time on 4/15/09

RADAR

As I've said recently, I've been having intermittent issues with several ku band satellites in the last few days..I think mostly weather related..One of the issues is that I completely lost Montana PBS-0-1 signal quality on the Fortec Dynamic Reciever..doing a powersan now to see if that movie mentioned above comes up..

Edit:I'm getting the movie..wonder what channel this is..

Last edited:
As I've said recently, I've been having intermittent issues with several ku band satellites in the last few days..I think mostly weather related..One of the issues is that I completely lost Montana PBS-0-1 signal quality on the Fortec Dynamic Reciever..doing a powersan now to see if that movie mentioned above comes up..

Edit:I'm getting the movie..wonder what channel this is..

PBS Feed from CPTV Hartford..... Connecticut?

RADAR

Thats what it appears to be..Odd that they would be having a feed of a movie that otherwise wouldnt be on PBS normally

They have movie feeds on there about the same time every week. While the national PBS schedule doesn't have movies, many local stations DO, and that's where they get them.
Also, that Hartford thing is APT, slightly different from regular PBS, although there are uploads on all those 4444 scpc transponders from more than one site, so sometimes you'll see the S/Q go up and down when uploading from different sites.
A couple years ago, I made a chart of what was on those three channels at various times of the day, and had my chart about 30% complete. Much of it is still the same, but there have been a lot of changes since then.

They have movie feeds on there about the same time every week. While the national PBS schedule doesn't have movies, many local stations DO, and that's where they get them.
Also, that Hartford thing is APT, slightly different from regular PBS, although there are uploads on all those 4444 scpc transponders from more than one site, so sometimes you'll see the S/Q go up and down when uploading from different sites.
A couple years ago, I made a chart of what was on those three channels at various times of the day, and had my chart about 30% complete. Much of it is still the same, but there have been a lot of changes since then.

B.J.

I would like to see your charts, even if they may be outdated, it would be neat just to see your layout!

As for the CPTV, I assume that this like NPTV or a state specific branch of the PBS network, Connecticut Public TeleVision - Nebraska Public TeleVision whereas PBS is actually the national (overall) affiliate. Am I correct in this assumption?

RADAR

B.J.

I would like to see your charts, even if they may be outdated, it would be neat just to see your layout!

As for the CPTV, I assume that this like NPTV or a state specific branch of the PBS network, Connecticut Public TeleVision - Nebraska Public TeleVision whereas PBS is actually the national (overall) affiliate. Am I correct in this assumption?

RADAR
I couldn't find my more complete chart, which was an excel spreadsheet that I had fairly well populated during daytime hours, but I found an early partially completed version of it that I had posted on the web when I was only part way finished, hoping that other people would help fill in the blanks. This version didn't have the movies, which I think were in the afternoon early in the week. I never did monitor during the overnight hours, and had very little during prime time too.

http://www.megalink.net/~wejones/pbs-scpc2b.htm

This chart was back when everything was on AMC-3, and also when one of the 3 transponders would periodically alternate between DVB and DCII formats. The 3 parts are the sched 511, 12163, sched 512, 12170 (now 12169), and sched 513, 12156 (now 12175).

I finally gave up trying to keep track of what was on. When I look at this version, there isn't too much similarity to what's on now, because even though things seemed to be on fairly regular schedules, the schedules changed. It used to be that some BBC stuff would be found in late afternoon and BBC news on in early evening, but now I seem to be seeing BBC news on at other times during the day.

One of the reasons I stopped trying to keep track of schedules is that I found that there was an APT web page, where you can find some schedules of what's on that 12163 channel, plus some HD schedules.

American Public Television: APT Newsletter

There are search engines to find programs, and if you download the newsletter, it has partial schedules for a few days of the week. You have to really browse around a lot in the web page to find stuff, but it's interesting.

You can download a pretty complete alphabetic schedule for the HD3 channel at http://aptonline.org/aptweb.nsf/vPrograms/Index-APT+HD+Programming/$FILE/Apr09HDFeed.doc
however I wasn't able to find a similar SD version for what's on the 12163 transponder. Seems like they used to have such a schedule, so maybe I just couldn't find it.

But on this site, they do have a list of the movies that they uplink, ie at:
American Public Television: Film Titles
It tells during what monthly time frame each is broadcast, however I couldn't find the specific times. BTW, the Magnificent Seven movie is listed both on the big list and on the HD3 list, so it must be broadcast both in SD and HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts