AMC 21

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Joe Moll

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
great falls mt
October 6th is when PBS is turned on. The frequency information is available on MT PBS website under news stories.

shows as 12104 V 4340 as of 10/6

This worries me as 12102 V 2222 is next door at 123 (and very strong too)

shows as 12104 V 4340 as of 10/6

This worries me as 12102 V 2222 is next door at 123 (and very strong too)

Oooooooh. That's not good. I had hoped to cheat by pointing a dish at 124 and hopefully get strong enough signals from both birds to get channels from both without having to use 2 reflectors or a motorized dish...

I hope its wrong because then we might have an issue like we did when Dish had a strong TP at 11724 V at 121 and Equity had 11720 V at 123

Obviously if you have a 15 foot dish it wil reject the adjacent sat but with the small dishes we may have issues

info from Montana PBS

Updated Satellite Tuning Information (Beginning October 6th, 2008)

The MontanaPBS service is MPEG encoded using the DVB-S standard.

Satellite: AMC-21, Ku Band (125 deg W)
Polarity: Vertical
Transponder: 20
Downlink Freq: 12104 MHz (effective 10/6/2008)
Symbol Rate: 4.3404 MS/s
Forward Error Correction (FEC): 3/4
Video Program Identifier (Video PID): 0033
Audio Program Identifier (Audio PID): 0038
PCR: 0033

Cool, viewsat wouldn't lock it at first, bumped the dish a fraction and it stored. 64/50, kinda low for a new sat, maybe they'll kick it up some later.

Makes me think that the bird is just a little off position from 125W . On both my Merc and Coolsat I couldn't hit it with USALS, went west from 123W on the Coolsat, and East from Gal 14 on the Merc ii. Used Diseqc 2 mode on both of them and saved the position.
:?

Position, and maybe it isn't quite in its final 'tilt', I was wondering if it might be kinda inclined in orbit or something. Tomorrow I'll move my fixed dish, which don't stay fixed very long in one spot, over there and play with the skew!

I see AMC21 at exactly 125.0° West with my 1.2 Meter dish, if I move my dish 0.5° degrees east or west I see interference from the adjacent satellites.

So smaller dishes might be picking up interference from the adjacent satellites.

Makes me think that the bird is just a little off position from 125W .

Yes, it doesn't operate right at 125 deg W but I doubt the slight offset makes a difference on a small dish. If you had a 10 meter dish, different story. :D

Just curious that the USALS on my Merc II, goes right to 123W, 127W, 129W , but not a trace of 125W . Have to nudge it back east to get AMC21. Early times, yet, I suppose everything is not yet "set in stone" .
:)

Montana PBS

Maybe the reason the signal works better when pointing a little bit west of 125, especially with smaller dishes, is that the signal strength of the interfering signal on 123 *probably* drops off much faster, being on the edge of the beamwidth, than the desired signal on 125, which is still pretty central when you go fractional degrees west of dead-center.

Even if the desired signal drops as you go west, if the interfering signal drops faster than the desired signal, there would be a net gain in the ratio of "good" signal to interfering signal and noise.

If this wild idea is right, it's possible that the signal level might even drop slightly as you go west of 125, at the same time the signal quality is going up due to fewer bit errors due to symbol interference. :)

Yay AMC21. I'm guessing the whole PBS block is coming soon. :)

Last edited:
Ice, thanks for bringing this up. Got it on the first scan here. Signal is a bit low and the bump west fixes that some.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)