AMC 21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So, if today someone gets S2 on a 30" dish, that's a lot like getting Whitesprings on a 20.
It's the exception. Don't assume it's going to be the rule.

The unappetizing thing this thread shows, is that while today we can recommend 36" dishes to newbies for reliable reception, tomorrow that may become 48". :(

there are a couple of S2 KU channels that my 30" dish is getting just fine for a week now. Nice decent signal and the FEC is 5/6. The data/IP TP's on a few sats that are DVB-S2 I can get at 99 quality with no issues

Sure a 36" might be better but if the FEC stays around 3/4 or 5/6 we should still be OK...LPB is "auto" or 3/5 but I think the issue of losing the signal is more of the beam then the FEC

I,m picking up the Montana legislature channel right now on AMC 21. It might be on a spot beam to Montana only. If anyone else outside Montana can pick up the signal outside the state of Montana, please let me know.

Got it here in South Louisiana on my Paraclipse....87 quality on my CS 5000.

In the beam? Does that mean LOUISIANA PBS might not be available out west?

I have tried to get it on a DVBWorld S2. No luck.

I can get it out here. It also works at night! I will say though that sometimes it is just gone when I look for it, but I haven't really watched it enough to keep track of when it is there or not and whether it is a problem with my equipment.

In the beam? Does that mean LOUISIANA PBS might not be available out west?

I have tried to get it on a DVBWorld S2. No luck.

Here's the beam map , Harry. SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps - Sat Footprints , and it's clear that the west coast has weaker coverage than the southeast. Good aim is very important to the 8psk LPB signal. If I bump my 90cm dish in either direction , I lose the lock. No room for error.
:)

And what dish size are they using at down-link sites? Eight foot?...?... :rolleyes:

Actually, according to the dish pointing instructions on the pbsngis site, member stations like WETA use 6.1 and 8.1 meter dishes for Ku reception! No rainfade ever!

Also, with my 36" Fortec Star and my Sadoun KUL1 LNBF, I cannot pick up LPB no matter what. Do I really need to be spot on or should a better quality LNBF help, like an Invacom?

Thanks.

Jonathan

Actually, according to the dish pointing instructions on the pbsngis site, member stations like WETA use 6.1 and 8.1 meter dishes for Ku reception! No rainfade ever!

Also, with my 36" Fortec Star and my Sadoun KUL1 LNBF, I cannot pick up LPB no matter what. Do I really need to be spot on or should a better quality LNBF help, like an Invacom?

Thanks.

Jonathan

You have a worse angle at it, than Iceberg and I , but I think it's a fine positioning issue.

October 6th is when PBS is turned on. The frequency information is available on MT PBS website under news stories.

shows as 12104 V 4340 as of 10/6

This worries me as 12102 V 2222 is next door at 123 (and very strong too)

Joe and Ice,

This is a very long thread! I am not about to read it all tonight as I am just browsing, but I wanted to explore this sat just a little while I was here.

This is a good sat, almost all PBS right now. PBS feeds, Montana PBS and Create and V-me.

The CREATE channel is most excellent, it is a combination of the FOOD Network, the DIY channel, the Science channel and the the History channel! Really good! This is a channel that I would recommend FTA people to seek while it is still open and in the clear.

Also, it seems to me that all the broadcasts are MPEG2 HD. Can anyone confirm this? The pix quality sure looks excellent.

AcWxRadar

Joe and Ice,

This is a very long thread! I am not about to read it all tonight as I am just browsing, but I wanted to explore this sat just a little while I was here.
the posts you quoted were before the sat was in place so things have changed in 3+ months ;)

This is a good sat, almost all PBS right now. PBS feeds, Montana PBS and Create and V-me.
thats all it is right now is PBS

The CREATE channel is most excellent, it is a combination of the FOOD Network, the DIY channel, the Science channel and the the History channel! Really good! This is a channel that I would recommend FTA people to seek while it is still open and in the clear.
it will stay ITC. Lots of PBS stations use this on a subchannel OTA

Also, it seems to me that all the broadcasts are MPEG2 HD. Can anyone confirm this? The pix quality sure looks excellent.

SD on most of them. There is a list....abbreviated
12104 Montana is SD
12140 is 2 HD feeds
12180 is 1 HD feed, 3 SD feeds
12120 is all SD for now

basically PBS is transitioning to HD so come February 10th (or so) the only SD channel on PBS are the "others" (V-Me, Create, World). PBS will be HD as a East coast & West coast feed

Montana PBS is still SD

I'm not sure about this, and am probably wrong, but I believe there is multiplex IP data in the LPB multiplex. http://www.loni.org/press/LONI-LPTV.pdf says it uses an IP network for transport stream delivery to the DTV transmitter sites as well as file delivery between member stations.

And speaking of that, 12120H, after the DTV transition will be used for the file transfer system that PBS will be using for program distribution. Testing will be done, with multiple vendors, for the best system. I'm really excited about that, because I want to integrate multicast IP data from satellite onto my LAN at home. From what the pbsngis site said, they want everything standards based, and the ability to use common off the shelf equipment to transfer from the dish to the hard drive, using linux or windows, etc.

With peaking of the dish, I'm going to have to use my coolsat 8000 as the dvb-s2 signal meter instead of the one I have. Hopefully, if I can pick up LPB without issue, I'd be able to pick up 12120H when it eventually is used for the file transfer system.

Here are the transponder assignments as only the HD feeds for PBS are available 24/7

Create, World & V-Me are still in SD

Attachments

• PBS Transponder Service Assignments 2009-02-11.pdf
    12.4 KB · Views: 402
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I can't seem to locate the answer. Is the LPB DVB-S2 mux on AMC-21 in HD or SD, or both? I just acquired another 1 meter Channel Master, which will likely be pointed to AMC-21 since I don't believe I'll be able to achieve 2 degree spacing with 123w on one dish. I don't have the ability to tune DVB-S2 yet, but hopefully I will soon... Thanks!

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I can't seem to locate the answer. Is the LPB DVB-S2 mux on AMC-21 in HD or SD, or both? I just acquired another 1 meter Channel Master, which will likely be pointed to AMC-21 since I don't believe I'll be able to achieve 2 degree spacing with 123w on one dish. I don't have the ability to tune DVB-S2 yet, but hopefully I will soon... Thanks!

The mux contains both HD and SD.

I finally stayed "locked" on the LPBS DVB-S2 all night (at least unil midnight, went to bed)
Usually I loose it just after dark.
The fix was my BUD's declination was just a touch shallow.
I decided to adjust it when trying to lock RTN on AMC9.
I could only get a weak lock on clam and clear days - Q52 - no good with Q50
The day I retried was really windy, low and behold, it spiked to Q62 then Zero.
The next calm day, I raised the Elevation and dropped the Declination back to peak signal on my South Sat. Get RTN at Q61, and LPBS all night. There was no real change in any other Q numbers across the Arc, but they are more stable when the wind picks up.

If I remember correctly there are 5 channels (from wiki the details of 1st 3)
LPB – LPB’s PBS station in high definition (LPB1 and HD combine)
LPB2 – Children’s programming in prime time, the best of PBS and LPB all day
LPB3 – Lifestyle and “how-to” programs, including cooking to travel.
LPB feeds 1
LPB feeds 2

The mux contains both HD and SD.

If I remember correctly there are 5 channels (from wiki the details of 1st 3)
LPB – LPB’s PBS station in high definition (LPB1 and HD combine)
LPB2 – Children’s programming in prime time, the best of PBS and LPB all day
LPB3 – Lifestyle and “how-to” programs, including cooking to travel.
LPB feeds 1
LPB feeds 2

Excellent! Thanks guys :) Sounds like the signal is difficult to lock, the 1M CM might be a perfect dish for this.

too little, too late:

I just acquired another 1 meter Channel Master, which will likely be pointed to AMC-21 since I don't believe I'll be able to achieve 2 degree spacing with 123w on one dish.

If the 1m Primestar has a focal length of 28" (from a thread by Linuxman), then the distance between two LNBs to get 123°+125° would be around 1¼".
That's a little tight even for the SatelliteAV SL1's and SL2's.
They are around an inch and a half.
Oh, and that is calculated for those two specific birds, and from your specific city.

Also, the side support arms were in the way for 123°/129° on that dish.
Linuxman did work around the problem, but that dish isn't the first choice for multi-LNB use unless you come up with a new mounting scheme.

I think your decision to put one LNB on each dish is the best for this application.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts