AMC 21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well it seems that the signals are not always constant; on my CS8100, sometimes I can get the 12140, and somettimes not.

Also, there is a difference with the quallity level reported on my CS8100 and CS6100. For example, I have just checked that on CS6100 I have a QL of 45 % for 12180, and 12140 24%, and at the same, I have on the CS8100 32% and 9%. Now maybe the sensitivity of the two models are different, or that is the software which have a different ways to evaluate the QL. Don't know.

Mike

I wouldn't worry about the different signal readings. Receivers seem to be all over the place with that. My Twinhan will give a 30 quality reading when my Coolsat will give an 80 on the same signal. They both play the channel fine so I guess its just a matter of how the firmware was written for each make of receiver.
Its a shame about those neighbors trees, you have a nice setup there but it looks like you will continue to lose signals as the leaves start to bud.
BTW, I get fluctuation with the pbs signals too. They seem to bounce around from time to time.

...Its a shame about those neighbors trees, you have a nice setup there but it looks like you will continue to lose signals as the leaves start to bud.
BTW, I get fluctuation with the pbs signals too. They seem to bounce around from time to time.

I knew that when I installed my system back in 1994; but I watch mainly the signals out there mainly in the cold seasons, so no leaves then :)

Mike

Caribeean Beam

From the SES Americom site:

"AMC-21 also features high-power coverage of the Gulf of Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean."

Is there any television on the Caribbean beam?

Hi,I am from Caracas Venezuela .I get 12140 40 % quality , 12180 56 % quality.My dish is 1,0m offset.

angel3231

There is a new signal on Transponder 21. I am unable to lock it, but I think it's DVB-S2. Probably PBS Non Real Time IP testing.

AMC 21
12120 H 25000
DVB-S2?

Can anyone lock it?

There is a new signal on Transponder 21. I am unable to lock it, but I think it's DVB-S2. Probably PBS Non Real Time IP testing.

AMC 21
12120 H 25000
DVB-S2?

Can anyone lock it?

I tried locking that last week, but could not lock it. Tried every DVB-S2 combination of parameters that are in my receivers. I showed it as being a bit lower in freq though, like 12118, but I got the same SR. But I also tried with 12120 too. No lock.

I recently put up my 10 foot Unimesh and decided to use my existing Fortec 90U and set it as a fixed dish to AMC 21 since I'm a PBS junkie :) While I'm no pro or expert at aiming dishes, I feel like I have a good handle on it. But WOW, I had a tough time. I read on this thread that the further east you are the tougher it is to lock onto some of the "tighter" satellites on the western side. I'm in SC...and I agree. I started off getting 123 and 127...but couldn't quite lock 125. Finally after a couple hours, I was able to find the mux on 12180 at about 67% quality, but not 12140 (which is what I was after). It was about 10pm at night, and I was pretty tired from running coax all day so I went to bed. The next afternoon I started searching again. Finally, success! I locked onto 12140 at about 67% and 12180 at about 96%! And 12140 was stable at 67%, not jumping all over the place. So, I'm happy where I'm at. But for those of you on the east coast, this satellite is a tough one because of the close adjacent interference, especially with a smaller dish. But don't give up, keep with it, you'll get it.

12140 is a PITA because next door at 127W there is also a 12140 V 30000

I can get it pretty decent here in MN...no where near the 12180 V 30000 TP quality

12140 V 30000 gave me trouble when I was re-aiming my 1 meter Channel Master from 123w to 125w. In fact, I got no quality at all from it on the Pansat 2700 until I unfroze the dish elevation bolt and lowered my elevation. On the Pansat, I was never able to get higher than about 45Q, but my Visionsats get around 80Q. Maybe the Pansat has a problem with the high symbol rate or HD video? Or maybe it doesn't reject interference from the adjacent TP on 127w as well as the Visionsat does.

I was playing with my pansat and visionsat last night and I found the pbs hd feed on 12140 V with my pansat but there was no picture or sound so I tried the visionsat and I got 'Channel Error' on the screen but the sound was fine. I then recorded it for about 10 mins and connecded it to my netbook and it would play with VideoRedo. I then tried to go back to a 4:2:2 feed I noticed earlier on the pansat to try and see if it would record and play also , but the feed was gone.

The Visionsats will record HD and 4:2:2 feeds perfectly. This is one of the greatest features of the Visionsats. In both cases, the screen will display "Service Error" but the audio will work. For the PBS HD channels on 12140 V 30000, you'll need AC-3 decoding capability to hear them on the Visionsat. The recorded file can be played back on a PC with perfect audio and video. For 4:2:2, you may need a compatible CODEC (such as Elecard MPEG-2) installed on the PC, depending on which media player you are using.

The Visionsats will record HD and 4:2:2 feeds perfectly. This is one of the greatest features of the Visionsats. In both cases, the screen will display "Service Error" but the audio will work. For the PBS HD channels on 12140 V 30000, you'll need AC-3 decoding capability to hear them on the Visionsat. The recorded file can be played back on a PC with perfect audio and video. For 4:2:2, you may need a compatible CODEC (such as Elecard MPEG-2) installed on the PC, depending on which media player you are using.

how hi of a bitrate will it do ? in HD
thanks

That is a very good question. I have not tried a high-bitrate (~35-40 megabit) feed with it. It works just fine on PBS, which is at about 17 megabits. Of course, if you're using flash memory to record the data, you'll have to use a high-speed card.

That is a very good question. I have not tried a high-bitrate (~35-40 megabit) feed with it. It works just fine on PBS, which is at about 17 megabits. Of course, if you're using flash memory to record the data, you'll have to use a high-speed card.

please report back your findings. or pm me.
i read your post and started wondering how hi it could do.
only benny of not having a job is reading all the posts new and old around here.
will miss it when i go back.
would have bought one of these way back. had money to lol

If you want, you can PM me with some of the HD feed information that you want me to check (don't post it in open forum). Then I can try to record the feeds with the Visionsat and let you know my results.

I recorded 10 minutes of the feed you PM'd me... The results are quite interesting!

Feed type: Sports
Stream resolution: 720p
Stream bitrate: Variable (between 35 and 40 megabits according to VLC)
Recording methods: Hard drive and SDHC Class 4 memory card via USB port on the Visionsat
Playback PC: AMD Sempron 2500+ (1.5 ghz) single core using VLC

The results are great, even using the SDHC card. This was very surprising, since I did not believe a Class 4 card was capable of those data rates. The resulting file had to be remuxed before successful playback, as is the case with any .TS file recorded with the Visionsat. However, there didn't appear to be any dropped frames, even on the recording made on the SDHC card! Looks like the Visionsat records HD better than many of the HD receivers...

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I'm curious: are there any other SD PVRs (other than a computer card) that will record an HD transport stream successfully? Anybody tested a Pansat 150M or a Coolsat 7100? Those seem to be the cheapest PVRs now that the supply of Visionsats has dried up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts