AMC-3 C-Band (4080H) DVB-S2 on a 4' Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That picture has inspired me to dig out my box of c band stuff this weekend and see what kind of scalar rings I have in there. Might be able to rig something up

While I don't endorse mini-BUDding for anything but sport, if you must go down that road, at least go well equipped:

This was my thinking as well, but now after scanning in other satellites I'm thinking "why do I have a 6' and 8' when the 4' performs better". I scanned earlier and received COX Sports airing the preseason 49ers vs Saints game on Galaxy 23 and it looked awesome. Then I received CW HD and a preseason Bengals vs Lions game in HD on Galaxy 28 and my jaw dropped.

I experimented using the 4' dish several times before and had very good results, but this has to be the best so far. However, tomorrow night are the British shows on LPB and I will be torn tomorrow as to replace the C-band LNBF with the KU LNBF. I might just add a separate dish for AMC 21 KU, especially since the C band is working so well.

If anyone knows of a channel that you believe I won't be able to receive with my 4' dish please let me know and I'll see if I can receive it and then will provide a photo showing the signal strength.

Here's one of several pix posted by PopcornNmore with the brackets.
And here's a set I built from the same plans/idea.
All you really need is a good picture and you can make 'em.
I'll look around for more info later, if you're really excited.

edit:
Actually, somewhere here on the forum, Popcorn has some of the best pix ever.
There's a beautiful sunset in the background. - :up

If anyone knows of a channel that you believe I won't be able to receive with my 4' dish please let me know and I'll see if I can receive it and then will provide a photo showing the signal strength.

If you can see 58W at your location I would be curious if you can get anything. I tried for NHK but no go on my 4 footer. About all I can get are some of 91W and most of 99W with just the flat scaler. I ordered a conical scaler and it arrived today so maybe this weekend I will give it another shot.

Here's one of several pix posted by PopcornNmore with the brackets.
And here's a set I built from the same plans/idea.
All you really need is a good picture and you can make 'em.
I'll look around for more info later, if you're really excited.

edit:
Actually, somewhere here on the forum, Popcorn has some of the best pix ever.
There's a beautiful sunset in the background. - :up

I remember that sunset picture. :) I have the bracket plans on one of my computers, if I find them I will post them here for others.

If you can see 58W at your location I would be curious if you can get anything. I tried for NHK but no go on my 4 footer. About all I can get are some of 91W and most of 99W with just the flat scaler. I ordered a conical scaler and it arrived today so maybe this weekend I will give it another shot.

I'll try tomorrow to see what I can find.

Bracket Drawings

Attached:

Attachments

• Channelmaster_feed_bracket01.pdf
    8.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Channelmaster_feed_bracket_dim01.pdf
    10.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Channelmaster_feed_bracket_assy01.pdf
    14.9 KB · Views: 168
Played with my 4ft dish this morning and it wouldnt even come close with a spare cband ring and lnb I had laying around. Guess it will stay Ku.

On the bright side, I did realign the traveling dish for a nice solid lock on the S2 stuff on amc3

Played with my 4ft dish this morning and it wouldnt even come close with a spare cband ring and lnb I had laying around. Guess it will stay Ku.

On the bright side, I did realign the traveling dish for a nice solid lock on the S2 stuff on amc3

What brand 4' do you have?

NHK I had to use my 7.5 footer to get a decent signal here in the midwest. I have around 72% on it

Thanks, I figured that I was being too optimistic thinking it could be accomplished with a 4 footer.

Tested the conical scaler yesterday and was able to boost some channels but lost the Virgin Island networks on 99w. I could barely get them during previous testing. All I was able to get was 101w, 99w, and 91w. My dish can see from about 103w down to 40w. Would have been nice to get NASA on 87w but no go. Maybe my basic CNX Nano box is the problem. :confused:

Oh and if you're trying a minibud the LESEA mux on 99w is like "shooting fish in a barrel" :).

RTV still happens to be a pain in the ### on 4080 sometimes during the mid day till early night with my 6 footer.Last few days not a peep of a signal during the day but this mourning boom! blasting in at a Q of 70 on my AZbox.Anyone here having similar problems?

RTV still happens to be a pain in the ### on 4080 sometimes during the mid day till early night with my 6 footer.Last few days not a peep of a signal during the day but this mourning boom! blasting in at a Q of 70 on my AZbox.Anyone here having similar problems?

I used to have those same problems with my 5ft C Band solid metal dish. One minute it was there. The next it was gone. In and out! I gave up frustrated and found a 7.5ft mesh. Now I'm happy... (except I still cannot get RTV on this sat)

It's fun to find and hunt what you can get out of stretching the limits tho!

Last edited:
Here is the original design thread by Caddata.
It explains the goals, and how the flat metal bracket holds onto your struts"
" Strut clamps are 3/4" Non-metallic (Romex) Cable Connectors. "
The -are- made of metal, and if I recall correctly, around 60¢ - 80¢ each. :)

I sat down with my parts, and fab'd dandy brackets, just based on his very clear photos.
Made my own pattern to fit my scalar, with two bolt holes instead of the slot.
Worked perfectly the first time. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)