AMC-3 weirdness

Status
Please reply by conversation.

horizon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
I can tune in AMC3 on my analog, and channel 22 - CNBC comes in clear as a bell, however two channels down, Dr. Gene Scott looks like an oompaloompa. It's not clear at all, and his face is orange/red.

My FTA box can't get a lock on the satellite either.

What should I check?

You might just need to do some fine-tuning. If you feel your east-west position is peaked, then you probably need to adjust your skew. You can check your signal strength on CNBC by going into the setup for your VC module. I believe its on the installation data screen. You should be able to get that up to 100. If I remember correctly, CNBC is on a pretty strong transponder. I think I was able to get it when I was experimenting with my Microbud Primestar dish. My guess is Doc's transponder isn't as strong.

On the FTA stuff, I'm guessing you have your FTA receiver slaved to your analog. If that's the case, and the analog is tuned to CNBC or Doc you won't get any FTA programming. CNBC is on a vertical polarity transponder and all the FTA is horizontal. Try changing to an odd numbered transponder on the analog and then scanning for FTA again.

amc-3

That bird is a little cranky here sometimes too, a couple of the digital channels on mpeg-2 are choppy during the afternoons but clears up later. I don't know if its Terrestrial interference or adjacent satellite noise. It goes away. As for analog, i don't have any analog subscription channels on that bird, but Dr. Scott's picture looks crappy sometimes. The pic will have a strong signal, but certain colors look strange or washed out, maybe like the programming is coming from a vcr with a worn out tape.

Good luck, trucker:)

I think thats it truckracer, while trying to get better PQ the years on his broadcasts (88 last night when I looked and 82 the night before)and the number of times they have probably been on ... I bet it is tape... My problem with getting cnbc is I lost the remote to my Uniden 4200 and the remote on my GI receiver is not the best... by the time I get to setup , I loose signal for a second and have to start over...

FWIW, I think the quality of the source on some of Dr. Scott's broadcast isn't all that great. It looks like VHS some days.

Shawn95GT said:
FWIW, I think the quality of the source on some of Dr. Scott's broadcast isn't all that great. It looks like VHS some days.

most of his stuff is from VHS tapes :)

Dr. Scott

I picked up his channel last nite on my dammaged 8' dish . One time he eas on , one time his wife .

As you say , signal strength seemed to be Ok , but picture was washed out .

When I hit the auto-peak on my receiver , the skew peaked incorrectly . Manually peaking the skew worked better .

The other analog channels on that sat are fine . :)

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)