This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

AMC 5 @ 79 anything there now

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I am trying to locate this satellite. Anybody knows if something showing right now.

The Spanish station KTEL-TV @ 11900-H-2170 puts out a high Q signal but it take a few seconds to lock. Channel 1 & 3 of the NY mux is ITC and usually has test bars up, 9 is ITC and has the OTB summary channel. I watch the races sometimes, the rest of the mux is scrambled but there are times that they are ITC with horse racing.

The New York Net mux on AMC5 is now gone as of today

moved to AMC15 a while back...
Bummer Ice,
AMC5 was only 5 degrees west of my TS sat 74W. I only had to change the azmuth on the 500 dish to tune it in. Now I have to use the motorized 90 cm to watch the races.
Mike Lib

What symbol rate do you have?

(Now it "looks" around 4000, I think it use to be higher)

EDIT - Sorry, my mistake, I was looking 100 MHz less than the correct frequency on the BLSA, and my DVB World has a higher (more stable) quality lock with a symbol rate of 4000 vs the 8704 (The DVB World can lock with the symbol rate being way off)

Last edited:
I still have it at 8704. The signal is strong, but with lots of errors. Quality fluctuates wildly.

It's clearly not 4000, but I agree that the shape of the peak makes it look a few hundred less than the actual SR. I determined the SR via the SW method. I think I got 8703. I'm usually within 1 or 2 units with SW.

However, your 4000 observation is interesting when you consider that there apparently a nearby sat with a transponder at the same freq, but with an SR down in the mid 4000s (mentioned in another thread). I would have thought that the interferrence from that would have caused even more problems for you if you were trying to lock at 4000, unless somehow the two SRs are mixing {doesn't make any sense to me, but it is an interesting cooincidence}.

Actually, the nearby 4580 SR signal could be why the OETA signal seems taller and narrower than it should be.

I still have it at 8704. The signal is strong, but with lots of errors. Quality fluctuates wildly.

That's what I'm seeing too. Strong signal, but the quality jumps around. Yesterday, I was getting a steady lock, went out and found that the front of my lnbf was coated with ice. Scraped off the ice, thinking that this would cure it, but I came back inside, and it was worse, ie the lock was jumping on and off. Then later in the day, it started coming in stronger, almost watchable, but still breaking up.
I'd consider trying to tweak the aim of my {fixed Primestar} dish, but I'm getting all the other PBS stuff nice and strong, including LPTV, except for some strange behavior of the 12180 signal. Anyway, I'm really thinking that my problems are caused by the transponder on G18. Too bad. I used to watch OETA quite a bit before I became addicted to HD programming, because it had programming that I didn't get or was at different times than what was on the national feeds, but this new feed now seems to have a HD version, although with an SR that low, the HD can't be very high quality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.