AMC now on 120+

A lot of people forget that many of the BB@Home/"Plantinum" channels are little more than holdovers from the days when distributors lacked HD outlets on their traditional cable channels.

Velocity was Discovery HD Theater, a dumping ground for Discovery progamming before the other Discovery networks were in HD. Universal HD was the place for NBC Universal HD programming. Palladia used to be Music HD and was the place for MTV Networks HD programming. The MGM and Sony movie channels are a little more unique in that they did not have much in traditional cable properties, but still wanted a place to show their extensive library of films that were being scanned in HD. AXS (formerly HDNet) and HDNet Movies also are unique in that these were HD specialty channels Marc Cuban created to fill the void that existed a decade ago.

The other place these channels come from are niche channels added in the past 3-4 years that Dish did not wish to add to the America's Top packages. Centric (formerly BET Jazz), Logo, WFN (originally launched in HD, but with no actual HD programming, not SD when they have added HD programming), Hallmark Movies, PixL, MavTV, Crime and Investigation, Encore Suspense, and Starz Cinema also seem to fit in this category. Formerly carried Fashion HD and Smithsonian HD also fit. Essentially, if Dish added it in the last 3 years, it wound up here.

The Epix multiplex and Starz subsidiary "Plex" multiplex also probably fit the latter category, but could easily fit in their own packs. Personally, I wish the channels from the first category were removed, except for the ones that have no parent channels (i.e. kill Universal, keep HDNet Movies). Toss most of the ones from the second category in AT250. Put Epix in its own pack (it already is in a $7 pack if you don't want the rest of BB@Home).

Since Fuse fits into category 2, I'd expect it might join BB@Home. Otherwise, I bet IFC also comes to AT120, and We goes AT200.

Since Fuse fits into category 2, I'd expect it might join BB@Home. Otherwise, I bet IFC also comes to AT120, and We goes AT200.
Fuse fits nicely into any of the AT packages as an MTV alternative, as should the other channels from that category.

We may just see something like you suggest with those channels, as the death of BB may contribute to a change in the whole BB@H/Platinum package programming. Adding those channels to AT packages would be a good way to offset consumer backlash from the upcoming rate increases.

Although it has been a while, I believe Fuse was in AT200.

We TV was in Dish Latino Plus ($37.99/mo.) before the dispute; so, I could see it in AT120 ($44.99/month). AMC was in Dish Latino Plus before the dispute; I believe it is still in that pack now that it is back. However, like AMC, it was in AT200. So, that makes things interesting. We TV and AMC were in the Welcome Pack ($14.99/month); I wonder if they will return to it.

IFC was in Dish Latino Dos ($44.99/month). Therefore, I could see it in AT120 which is the same price. Like AMC, I believe IFC was in AT200. I think IFC could be in a lower tier since it has commercials now although I believe the movies are still uncut.

Sundance Channel was in BB@Home before the dispute (and Showtime before AMC Networks acquired it). D* has it in their Choice Ultimate package which basically adds mostly movie channels like the Encores and two of The Movie Channels. Therefore, I could see AT250 being the placement although I would not complain about a lower pack. Also, having it in BB@Home would allow those with inexpensive packages to have the option to add it. Maybe Dish will add it to AT250 or lower and BB@Home like Hallmark Movie Channel, MoviePlex, and Encore Suspense. Who knows (other than Dish and AMC Networks)? We will find out in a little bit over a week, though. :)

Last edited:
I wonder what the price difference will be between 120 and 250 when new prices come out. It's nice that 120 has some nice channels in it I just wonder what will be the future cost of it will be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)