AMC21 reception issue resolved

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
For quite some time I have been dealing with on and off reception problems with pixelation and momentary freezing on AMC21. Montana PBS has been unwatchable here for over a year even with 60+Q . I took the usual steps of verifying line of sight, dish alignment, other used LNBFs that worked fine for other satellites, cables, connectors, switches etc and just concluded the 90cm dish was too small for reliable reception and gave up when the microHD and 6' of straight cable and receiver at the dish and still couldn't lock well.

I solved it with the installation of a Titanium Ku LNBF model PLL-1KS. I don't see a large change in the signal quality, perhaps 2-3 points but it certainly makes a difference with the new LNBF with the resulting stable watchable PBS feeds.

Thanks Brian.

Might have to try that on my 90cm dish too!
Glad you got it working,
-C.

In my experience (I also have a 90 cm dish), the PLL lnbfs really help lock in those weaker stations. In addition to the PBS stations, I can now get Florida Channel and FSTV reliably. Very rare to get a cut-out.

I have to agree the PLL LNB works wonders with weak signals. With my 31" dish, PLL LNB I easily lock onto Montana PBS with a Q 30 signal.

My experience agrees completely with the OP.

I too was suffering pixelation and dropouts with signal quality jumping wildly on my 90cm dish for 125w Ku PBS. After installing a new Titanium Ku PLL LNB from the ebay seller Hypermegasat, the signal quality is noticeably more stable, although not much higher overall. No pixelation or dropouts since installing the new LNB about 2 months ago.

I was so impressed I ordered another one from seller ke4est on ebay for my 76cm dish aimed at 87w for LPB PBS, which had been suffering the same varying quality, pixelation and dropouts. Same results: big improvement with the new PLL LNB.

Highly recommend this new PLL LNB from Titanium Satellite.

Noticeable real world improvement over my previous best Ku performer, the JSC321, it comes with a great warranty, and the price is very reasonable.

Well, these compliments have me thinkin' I may have to spring for a couple of these LNBF's. Would be interesting to see pictures of a spectral scans and the constellation. I wouldn't think that L O accuracy alone would have these kind of results. I would think that a better noise figure would have more influence.

Ditto on the PLL for AMC21 PBS.

I put one on my dad’s dish. The signal would jump up and down and the picture would pixelate. It was pretty crummy.
Now the signal still jumps up and down but the picture is just fine, no more pixelation, freezing or cutting out.

I have one on my motorized KU dish which spends it’s life pointed at AMC9 and it works great.

It was money well spent. I intend to buy at least one more, maybe two more.
I’m really looking forward to them making one with a dual output.
I’ll definitely be buying two of those. And I would love to have a dual output C-band PLL type as well. I’ll be a buyer on that too.

Last edited:
I do not have the technical training, expertise or equipment to interpret the satellite data transmissions or the time to as some other hobbyists have. I feel that FaT Air is correct as far as the noise figures probably do more to help in the case of helping with weak signals. Who knows how accurate some manufacturers claims are for the technical specs. The proof is in the real world operation for me, it just works. I fully intend to purchase a couple more.

The same WSI LNBF I was using for a test on 125W works great on a small Dish Network dish500 refitted with a frankenbracket for the standard LNBF pointed at 30W. It has never lost the signal that is about the same with quality in the 60s, even in the worst weather conditions on a completely undersized dish for comparison. Perhaps something about my satellite footprint here in NY.

Liekwise... once I installed a PLL and properly aimed the dish, Montana, Oklahoma..channels I never had were coming in.

Cheers, K

Besides the microHD, its the best FTA purchase I made

Explanation of PLL?

I'm dealing with on/off reception on AMC21 also. Does this PLL LNBF have a built in amplifier or is it that everyone is replacing a new LNB and it improves reception?

Does this PLL LNBF have a built in amplifier
They all do, have an amplifier, that is. But as many report in the thread it's cured their AMC21 reception issues.
PLL - phase locked loop - higher frequency stability/accuracy - higher noise.
DRO - dielectric oscillators - lower frequency stability/accuracy - lower noise.
It would be logical a DRO would be better utilized for weak signals.**
and a PLL for low SR transponders.
**but it appears this PLL beats out the DRO. So is it actually 'quieter'?

Phase Lock Loop; a more stable oscillator that keeps the LNB(F) Ku/C-band LO receiver frequency from drifting. Most LNB/LNBFs have a specification for drift or frequency accuracy. Some can drift up and down as much as 1MHz, where a PLL would generally be less than 100KHz, and more expensive LNBs can be less than 5KHz. This stability allows the IF receiver to lock easier and stay locked onto the signal. PLL circuitry can have a negative side affect of creating more internal RF noise, but good internal design and shielding help to minimize the interference and the increased stability more than makes up for that issue.
Hope that makes sense... :)

edit:
Fat aIr types faster than I do!

Just ordered two. Not to get PBS, that's working fine on the 84e/soupcan LNB, but to put on the motored by BUD 30 inch. The other for ????
WoW! That's fast to ship.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)