American Life FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Shawn95GT said:
Hmmm I wonder if you could buy a 4DTV and sub to those with a Ku FTA dish...

a lot of that looks like the Absolute Digital Pack

You need a c-band dish to receive the maps neccessary for the 4dtv to work. The maps are not available on ku. If you know someone with a c-band dish, you could bring the 4dtv over to their dish to get the current maps and then bring it back to your place. You would need to do this when the maps change and you want to get the new channels.

mkm4 said:
You need a c-band dish to receive the maps neccessary for the 4dtv to work. The maps are not available on ku. If you know someone with a c-band dish, you could bring the 4dtv over to their dish to get the current maps and then bring it back to your place. You would need to do this when the maps change and you want to get the new channels.
I figured as much. A local shop quoted me 2k installed for a complete 4DTV system / dish / etc. Tha probably isn't a terrible price all things concidered but I think I'm capable of planting the BUD.

My ideal setup would be to put a bud about 35' up in the air on a tower / pole on the back of my house (house faces south). This would send the cost skyrocketing I'm sure.

Plan B would be to put a BUD where my Ku setup is now. While this would work, it'd partly block the back corner of my lot. I guess getting it up in the air solves that problem.

We'll see. I'm paying over $60/mo right now for the base digital cable package / HD DVR. At this pricepoint 4DTV is looking pretty good :).

Well, I'll tell ya. I have digital cable with an HD DVR, Dish for internationals, a 4dtv and a PCI FTA DVB/MPEG card. To get everything I want, I need all the systems.
My BUD came with the house when I got it three years ago, but it didn't work at that time.
The BUD is on a twenty foot pole, next to the house. I hardest part about it being up that high is servicing and fine tuning the dish.

That $2000 price probably includes a new dish. You should be able to find one someone doesn't want anymore, for practically free. That will drop that cost considerably.

check on ebay for 4dtv setups. Some for as little as 150 to 200$ for a receiver. and if you ask the seller nice, maybe they will put new channel maps onto it. Also, check out any of the other digi II receivers out there. I don't believe they need a channel map to recieve digi II programming....(I could be wrong though). I know I have been looking for these to try out. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)