American stb Firmware " united states time zone"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
Can anyone help point me to American Firmware for manhattan rs-1933/ openbox s9/ s10? I have tried all the firmwares on here. Even though they say america its only the transponders. I have never been able to set correct time zone on my box as united states is not listed. Just European, german asia, ect.

Also does anyone know if the newer openbox/skybox/ect firmwares of newer stb's with iptv capability will run on the stb's I mention above?
Example: openbox x3 firmware on s9-s12

Haven't used my openbox or manhattan in awhile, but I know you can set your time zone anywhere in the world including the US. It may not say it, but just put in the offset you need for where you live. ie. New York would be -5 from UTC.

No the new firmwares will not work in the older boxes. The newer boxes are running a different chip-set.

All these different channels tend to transmit different times, so that is normal. Trying to remember is there an option in the menu on those to set time to manual. That way it will not change every time you change a channel.

No option in menu to set to manual.

That's correct. On my Openbox S9 I just go to the channel I want to record then go in the local time setting menu to see what the time is. If it's not correct I just adjust the GMT time zone to make the time correct and then I DO NOT move off that channel after setting up the record time. If the date is off to then that means the sat/channel isn't changing the time and in that case I move off to a sat and TP I know is correct, check the time there then move directly back to that sat and TP that I want to record and check again to see if the correct time is still there. If all is well I set the record time and leave it on that satellite/channel.

I know this is a PITA but it's the only way I've found to use the timer for late night programmed time recording. This morning at 4am I recorded a movie but setup the S9 to record it before I turned the lights off around midnight. It worked and I'll watch that movie this evening.

And on another note, the other Openbox S9 I have will NOT record from the timer! Every time I've tried to use that one for a preset recording it locks up and does nothing when the recording is suppose to start? And yes, both receivers have identical firmware and channel lists in'em. Go figure?? It will record when I hit the button on the remove but won't work with the timer?

Last edited:
I am not trying to record anything. I just want the time to be right and not military time when it is. United States eastern standard time zone is what I want. I just cant believe there isn't modified firmware that allows for this.
Is there a way to work with abs files on a computer?

you set gmt usage to off, then the manual choice appears
On my S9, this is correct. I then set my local time and forget about time. Only 24-hour time is available which is more straight forward than playing with confusing AM/PM which has the same time at two different times each day. After setting the time this way, I can change to any satellite and the time stays correct. I can program a timer to record without worrying about time or which sat I will use. It's all about the firmware you've decided to install in your receiver. Some give priority to what the screen looks like; I choose to have a receiver that works correctly.

The older Openbox S9 firmware that I run does NOT offer the option for setting the time manually. If memory serves, Cyberham is running a much newer firmware than I'm using as I tried that one he's running a few months back and didn't like the menu layout it has so I went back to the older one.

The Micro HD has the manual time set feature though.

Well this has led me to a crossing path back to my other thread "receiver screen freeze". The whole point of changing firmware is to fix the freeze up issues on my 3 receivers When watching tv on certain responders "mostly luken stuff/PBJ/TUFF TV/RTV.
I updated the rs-1933 Manhattan and no more freezing for that receiver. To bad it does not communicate with the remote well. Moving on to the openbox s9 I loaded new firmware then took it off. I cant figure how to get my "user data if you will" from the old firmware to the new. I dumped everything and acquired a program called ali editor. It does not seem like it is going to do what I would like it to. At this rate I would be better off rescanning but writing down my channel preferences on a piece of paper,such a PITA. I was hopeful that this program could help me disassemble the firmware and and north America time zone but nope. Maybe there is a different program? Method?

If you save only the .abs file then you have EVERYTHING including the old firmware. If you get to that "backup to USB" screen and use the right and left arrow keys you will see another file listed called user.dbs (I think it is) that has your settings and channel list in it. THAT is the one you have to install AFTER you do the firmware update with the new .abs file. That user.dbs file is also the one you use with the editor, if you go that route.

The older Openbox S9 firmware that I run does NOT offer the option for setting the time manually. If memory serves, Cyberham is running a much newer firmware than I'm using as I tried that one he's running a few months back and didn't like the menu layout it has so I went back to the older one.

The Micro HD has the manual time set feature though.

BOTH of my two MicroHD's have "drifting" time. I have them set to manual, and over about two weeks, they will slowly drift until they are off 30~ seconds. I then have to resync them manually so I don't lose the beginnings of shows. I like having them set around 20 seconds before the TRUE top of the hour, so the drive wakes up and is all ready when the show starts. I have recordings every single day, and the receiver is set to never go to sleep, or turned off. I've never found a way to make it keep 100% accurate time.

I'm amazed nobody else has ever noticed this. I mentioned it a long time ago in at least one other thread.

My X2HD stays 100% accurate, but it syncs to an internet server. I prefer the picture and 30 second skip on the MicroHD though.

With as many troubles that exist for stb's there should be an open source linux distro just for receivers with support for several types of chips. Starting with something like this http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Distributions.
At any rate, I will try one last time as Lone Gunman suggests. "ALSO" can anyone help me understand why my remote to the Manhattan rs-1933 doesn't work unless I have the front of the receiver tipped down or remote on a slant. It never works right. I can't be the only one with this problem.

With as many troubles that exist for stb's there should be an open source linux distro just for receivers with support for several types of chips. Starting with something like this http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Distributions.
At any rate, I will try one last time as Lone Gunman suggests. "ALSO" can anyone help me understand why my remote to the Manhattan rs-1933 doesn't work unless I have the front of the receiver tipped down or remote on a slant. It never works right. I can't be the only one with this problem.

Open up the receiver, and make sure that the sensor in there is really aligned with the window in the front of the case. It's pretty normal for it to be off on receivers. If it's off, try to figure some way to adjust/bend it to align it without damage.

Opened it up it made no difference what way I bent it. Maybe its just a bad remote. Or sensor, Its 3 pronged and soldered very well.
Also I updated the openbox s9 with the latest abs available for it. I don't understand. The transponders on 83west are now weak. I went back to old firmware and they were strong again. Once more I went back to the latest firmware and they are weak again. Oh well no freeze ups so far using it. Cross my fingers. This firmware makes the receiver say OFF on the front when turned off instead of actually shutting off and showing the red led. Odd. The time is fixed on all channels except the year on some is 2038 with no way to fix it. At least the time is good. I now have channel editing as well. Most the channels say no information, not sure why.
Where is the best place to get a remote for rs-1933?

can anyone help me understand why my remote to the Manhattan rs-1933 doesn't work unless I have the front of the receiver tipped down or remote on a slant. It never works right. I can't be the only one with this problem.

I don't have a fix for that but if it's any consolation to you, my AZBox Ultra that I paid $275 for does pretty much the same thing and the remote for the AZBox Elite I also have doesn't do any better with it either. I've never taken that one apart to see if there's an issue with the sensor because I only use it occasionally to play back .avi and other movie file formats that the S9 and the Micro won't play. I do hope a new remote will fix your problem though. Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)