America's Satellite Information Source???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
Satelliteguys is quoted as being "America's Satellite Information Source." I hate to open a wound, but I can't help but notice (perhaps others have, but didn't say anything) the perceived bias towards DISH, the red end of the spectrum, vs DIRECTV, the blue end of the dial.
Specifically, the "Hopper" from DISH is greeted with great fanfare, compared to DIRECTV's HR34 which is actually technically superior.
It seems to me that "America's Satellite Information Source" might be a bit tilted towards the red end vs the blue end, rather than the purple, where it sets itself to be.
There is a "FIRST LOOK" for the Hopper, where was this for the HR34??
Seems to me, I don't mean to be offensive, but when DISH comes out with a "new" technology it is applauded here, but if you want the meat and potatoes, regarding a product from DIRECTV, those of us that are bums stuck with DTV, have to shift off to DBSTalk land.
Just wondering about the fairly apparent bias??

You are correct and it's been mentioned before by more than a few of us and long before this new round. Sadly all you can do is grin and roll with it and add where you can.

Satelliteguys is quoted as being "America's Satellite Information Source." I hate to open a wound, but I can't help but notice (perhaps others have, but didn't say anything) the perceived bias towards DISH, the red end of the spectrum, vs DIRECTV, the blue end of the dial.
Specifically, the "Hopper" from DISH is greeted with great fanfare, compared to DIRECTV's HR34 which is actually technically superior.
It seems to me that "America's Satellite Information Source" might be a bit tilted towards the red end vs the blue end, rather than the purple, where it sets itself to be.
Seems to me, I don't mean to be offensive, but when DISH comes out with a "new" technology it is applauded here, but if you want the meat and potatoes, regarding a product from DIRECTV, those of us that are bums stuck with DTV, have to shift off to DBSTalk land.

The reason there was a Hopper first look and not one for the HR34 is that Scott has much better contacts within Dish than within DirecTV. Both receivers are great choices, so you're making a great choice either way.

Last edited:
Hey the ball is in DIRECTV's court, they could provide us with new tech, they could show the same at CES in the open... but they chose to remain secretive and allow only "glowing" reviews which they approve and I am speaking as a 16 year Directv sub as well as 11 on the Dish side...

The reason there was a Hopper first look and not one for the HR34 is that Scott has much better contacts within Dish than within DirecTV. Both receivers are great choices, so you're making a great choice either way. Why do you consider the HR34 superior to the Hopper?

Contacts or not; if this is an informational site without bias, the effort can and should be made to obtain products themselves (don't wait on the industry reviews or worry about CES or shows; that's mostly "puff and smoke") and review them accordingly, thoroughly and fairly and without a biased eye; especially from the site and site admins (IMHO). also, lets not turn this thread into a Hopper vs HR34 as there is already one going on that explains nicely what you are seeking, I for one would like to see this thread continue on the topic the OP presented.

Don what I am saying is don't wait or try to go through them if they don't want to cooperate; just get them retail if you must and do an honest review. Just because they don't want to "play ball" with the site doesn't mean they have anything to hide or have inferior gear; for whatever reason they just don't like dealing with the site and it's been discussed why that may be or not. It could just as easily be inferred that DISH "plays ball" just to get their products into any and all spotlights they can because they can't otherwise through the "normal channels". But who really knows or admits if they do or not, it doesn't matter; users just want good, honest thorough reviews with no slants so they can make a real-world choice.. I too have had both (I don't at the moment) but didn't like DISH at all when I tried them; everyone's taste buds and needs are never 100% the same.

Last edited:
Don what I am saying is don't wait or try to go through them if they don't want to cooperate; just get them retail if you must and do an honest review. Just because they don't want to "play ball" with the site doesn't mean they have anything to hide or have inferior gear; for whatever reason they just don't like dealing with the site and it's been discussed why that may be or not. It could just as easily be inferred that DISH "plays ball" just to get their product into any and all spotlights they cane because they can't otherwise through the "normal channels". But who really knows or admit if they do or not, it doesn't matter; users just want good, honest through reviews with no slants so they can make a real-world choice.. I too have had both (I don't at the moment) but didn't like DISH at all when I tried them; everyone's taste buds and needs are never 100% the same.

Even though we don't get things first like some other place with the inside track, I think we should still do a write up on things we get.

Even though we don't get things first like some other place with the inside track, I think we should still do a write up on things we get.

I agree 110%.. AND to make an great effort to get your hands on items that just don't come your way via channels.

and that's the other thing I wish they would both do away with; contracts that exceed 6mos or more for newbies or any for those of us that have been in the fold for 36 - 48 mos or more. and they should stop handing out freebies to those that jump back and forth or have less than genuine grounds to threaten to leave; playing "the game!" let 'em go. deny the newbie status for 24 mos after cancelling. it costs everyone money at the end of the day.

bobvick said:

I joined this site when I had Dish because it was by far, IMHO, the best resource for Dish information. Now that I am with DirecTV I have to admit I find more useful information and conversation about DirecTV on the "other" site, but still enjoy the company more here. :)

You are correct and it's been mentioned before by more than a few of us and long before this new round. Sadly all you can do is grin and roll with it and add where you can.

I've got my opinions about this issue (some good, some not-so-good), but let me just add that I am one of the many SatGuys who have jumped shipped over to Verizon, Comcast, etc. since D* and E* cannot complete on Cable Triple Play pricing or, in my case, the quality and reliability of FiOS TV. Since there's not much happening in the Cable Forums we tend to observe what's happening and avoid the hype. For example, the Hopper is inferior to D*'s HR34 but, since Dish is supporting it's rollout and providing representation here on SatGuys, it's bound to be in the headlines and receive a lot of attention. Would I like to see more D* participation...more press...more Forum activity? Sure! But I think Scott has been down this road several times in the past.

I joined this site when I had Dish because it was by far, IMHO, the best resource for Dish information. Now that I am with DirecTV I have to admit I find more useful information and conversation about DirecTV on the "other" site, but still enjoy the company more here. :)
Yes the other site caters to Directv - good luck finding much of anything on Dish over there. And, make sure you only talk in glowing terms about Directv products or you may get slaughtered by the fanboys. I am currently subscribed to Directv but I like this site much better. I'm one of those that have no allegiances to either company - I'll switch every few years or so but will be with Directv another 2 years (currently finishing my 2nd year with them) because they gave me the moon with a $99 HR-34, a free HR-24, year free of Showtime, and other credits totaling over $200 when I called them last month inquiring about the 34.

Don what I am saying is don't wait or try to go through them if they don't want to cooperate; just get them retail if you must and do an honest review.

I think that this site is big enough to do honest review of both providers big product launches. I do not think that equipment that is provided by Dish and DirecTV should be tested, it seems that it would be a more honest and open review if the products were bought at retail, just the same as you and I would do, and then tested.

I believe if we did some good reviews that things might get changed. But even if it doesn't it would give people a good place for unbiased information.

My question is why does Directv refuse to have anything to do with satguys?I see no dtv internet response team.Dtv could have a much bigger presence here if they wanted,Dish has seemed to embrace the site.

Scott can give a better and more detailed response, but basically Directv isn't as forthcoming with information until it's public and they didn't like when it was published here early. Scott, is that it in a nutshell?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)