AMIKO Amike Mini HD SE- How do you guys catalog your satellites & TP's

Bluebeard123

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Truckee, CA
I searched all the satellites that are visible to my dish and now I have roughly 300 channels of assorted stuff. I was wondering what is the best way to catalog them all in the favorites. I also thought it would be good to create a spreadsheet that also shows which locations have all the ABC newsfeeds, CBS Newsfeeds, etc. Before I embark on what may be a laborious project, I thought I would see how you guys keep track of what is where and what you use (initially) to look up what is where. I assume after a few dozen times going to certain sats, you know what is where. Right now I am just working with C band, but soon I will have a Ku set up and I will also need the best way to catalog that.

The other night I went to all the sats and marked all the active channels; but tonight I went back to say G23, and there is no signal on any of the channels I marked. Is this typical? Will I need to sweep (search) the sats several times on different days and times to get all of the potentially active transponders?

Thanks for any hints or tips.

I searched all the satellites that are visible to my dish and now I have roughly 300 channels of assorted stuff. I was wondering what is the best way to catalog them all in the favorites. I also thought it would be good to create a spreadsheet that also shows which locations have all the ABC newsfeeds, CBS Newsfeeds, etc. Before I embark on what may be a laborious project, I thought I would see how you guys keep track of what is where and what you use (initially) to look up what is where. I assume after a few dozen times going to certain sats, you know what is where. Right now I am just working with C band, but soon I will have a Ku set up and I will also need the best way to catalog that.

The other night I went to all the sats and marked all the active channels; but tonight I went back to say G23, and there is no signal on any of the channels I marked. Is this typical? Will I need to sweep (search) the sats several times on different days and times to get all of the potentially active transponders?

Thanks for any hints or tips.
First thing I would recommend is to get a thumb drive (if you haven't already done so) and do a full backup. You will be glad to have it in case of an accident. I only have one favorites group which has all the channels that we watch. Like you said, you will eventually remember where most of your channels that you watch are. When I made our favorites list I did it in order, by satellite, to minimize the wear and tear of having the motor jumping all over as we change channels. You make want to check out Titan TV. You can set up a customized list of most of many of your channels, which will give you a pretty nice guide. :)

search) the sats several times on different days and times to get all of the potentially active transponders?
On second and subsequent scans, before the scan I delete all inactive transponders. Except for those that have been identified as 'on a schedule') Then all 24/7 and scheduled transponders are first in the list,
(MicroHD? think it's required to remove the inactive channels first - otherwise boot loop(?))
Some transponders will appear at random and others on a schedule, to 'feed' their respective program/story, then disappear. Quite a few of these temporary transponders use the same freq/SR across different sources (DSNG). One place for these is 103ku.
Check TheList! here (under Other Sites tab) ond/or Mike's list at MPEG Central for those 24/7 TP's.

So, I guess I am asking about the process you go through.

1. Scan for active transponders, and then they all get listed.

2. Create Favorites and place each channel that you like in each favorite (typically grouping from E to W- or whatever)

3. Then do you erase the transponder scan list that you first created, and periodically come back and do scans on different satellites to pick up more transponders? I could see the initial list getting huge- and it is a bit frustrating for the newbie, trying
to figure out where the number of a channel on one satellite ends and the number on another satellite begins- It would be nice if the first transponder scan would also list the satellite the transponders are on.

4. The other issue I am having difficulty with is there are a lot of channels up there that are ones that I would go to VERY occasionally- if at all (foreign language channels just to watch- but not be able to understand the language), would I just create a favorites named something like (B list), (C list) etc?

Thanks for Mike's list, it was very helpful

So, I guess I am asking about the process you go through.

1. Scan for active transponders, and then they all get listed.

2. Create Favorites and place each channel that you like in each favorite (typically grouping from E to W- or whatever)

3. Then do you erase the transponder scan list that you first created, and periodically come back and do scans on different satellites to pick up more transponders? I could see the initial list getting huge- and it is a bit frustrating for the newbie, trying
to figure out where the number of a channel on one satellite ends and the number on another satellite begins- It would be nice if the first transponder scan would also list the satellite the transponders are on.

4. The other issue I am having difficulty with is there are a lot of channels up there that are ones that I would go to VERY occasionally- if at all (foreign language channels just to watch- but not be able to understand the language), would I just create a favorites named something like (B list), (C list) etc?

Thanks for Mike's list, it was very helpful
1 & 2. You can scan each satellite one at a time and build your favorite channel lists as you go (while each scan is fresh in your mind) or scan all satellites and make your list afterwards (harder, unless you have a great memory since many channels will just scan as CH-1, CH-2, etc.). Take notes as you scan, it will make things much easier.
3. You can delete transponders you are not using from the all satellites list but don't delete the whole list or any that you put on a favorites list. If you do they will be deleted from your favorites list as well. :(
4. If you feel some channels may be something you would use but not regularly, you could make a list for those like Foreign - Occ. Organize everything in a way that makes the most sense to you as you will be the one watching. :)

PS: Make a backup of your lists regularly as you scan or delete. I have gotten the list too big, tried to delete too many channels at a time or just plain made a mistake. :eek: That backup will be a life saver for you in that case. ;)

I'm BAAAAAAAACK.... just under a new name (I forgot I was Bluebeard in another time).... Several years ago I took everything apart, and now (after I forgot how to do everything) I wanted to set it up again.... So same question.... but let me try to rephrase: I think I'd like to create groups associated with each satellite location. So this is a group hierarchy I'd like to see:

AMC 18
Old Movies
News
FTA Feeds

SES 2
Old Movies

Etc.... but it doesn't look like the Amiko Mini HD SE will allow me to do that. I clicked on "group" to create a new name and typed in A (for the AMC 18 Satellite) and that's all it allowed me to type, and then it sorted all the A channels to that group. Now I cannot delete the group or see any of the other channels on the satellite, other than those under A. Someone help me get back to the main menu on this group thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)