Amiko A3 Can't lock Shepherd's Chapel on 99.0°W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
Shepherd's Chapel on 99.0°W C-Band changed Frequencies from 4020V 15000SR to 4005V 5833SR. When I do a blind scan with the A3, it scans in on the "TP List" as 4008V and 5833SR, but there is no quality. I noticed in genaeral also that some transponders logged in, on the "TP list" on the A3, don't have any quality. I have entered the Transponder information manually, but no luck. I did adjust up/down the Transponder information, but no success. I went back to ROM 2.0.69, and also tried ROM 2.0.71, and I'm currently using ROM 2.0.70. AZBoX Me has it locked using 4005V 5833SR, and the quality on the AZBox Me is very high.. Anyone else with the A3 experiencing the same issues? I did post this issue over at Fridgefta, but posted here also to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues or may have solutions.

Not an A3 issue. This frequency is not locking very well on many STBs and the odd blind scan frequency logging is being reported by many users on various STBs. I have tested on 5 different models in my shop with poor results on all. Have taken a dozen calls from Shepherds Chapel viewers and installers this week when they were unable to lock the new transponder in order to scan.

Had to manually input the frequency, shifting it up or down several MHz to match the customer's LNB LO (or de-tune interfering carrier). Once the frequency was close to the LNB LO, the frequency will lock after sitting on the carrier for a few seconds. Some folks are also reporting that the channel will not immediately lock after changing to another service and returning.

Viewing the frequency on an analyzer, it is likely affected by interference from an adjacent satellite. Too bad that they gave up a great strong transponder to a problematic one.

Last edited:
I tried receiving Shepard's Channel on my 3 receivers. It scanned in without any trouble on my new X2 Premium Mini and my TBS6983. I have attached a photo of my TV showing it on the X2 Premium. Note that my X2 is displaying GMT, not local time.

The Amiko Mini HD SE did not get it in the blind scan. I don't have an Amiko A3 or I would have tried it too.

I hope that my observations will help in troubleshooting this.

Attachments

• sc_on_x2premium.jpg
    sc_on_x2premium.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Not an A3 issue. This frequency is not locking very well on many STBs and the odd blind scan frequency logging is being reported by many users on various STBs. I have tested on 5 different models in my shop with poor results on all. Have taken a dozen calls from Shepherds Chapel viewers and installers this week when they were unable to lock the new transponder in order to scan.

Had to manually input the frequency, shifting it up or down several MHz to match the customer's LNB LO (or de-tune interfering carrier). Once the frequency was close to the LNB LO, the frequency will lock after sitting on the carrier for a few seconds. Some folks are also reporting that the channel will not immediately lock after changing to another service and returning.

Viewing the frequency on an analyzer, it is likely affected by interference from an adjacent satellite. Too bad that they gave up a great strong transponder to a problematic one.
So we're you able to lock it on the A3, and if yes what parameters did you use?

Yesterday when I blind scanned for this channel on both the A3 and Amiko NanoHD they found the TP but had no quality. I tried adjusting the frequency and SR up and down but still couldn't get any quality.

I just tried it again and both receivers locked the channel. Attached are screen captures from the A3.

GET SCREEN SHOT 0.3063600993402714.jpeg GET SCREEN SHOT 0.1335804960671867.jpeg

The Amiko Mini HD SE did not get it in the blind scan.
I tried a blind scan last night on my Amiko Mini HD SE and couldn't even get a hint of it. I just tried again now (10:15am eastern) and got it right away on a blind scan at 82% Q. Only got one channel though - didn't they have two or three channels before?

On the A3, manually entered the frequency and patiently waited 10-15 seconds for it to lock. Finding that bumping the dish off of the position optimized for other 99w transponders quickly locks the Shepherds Chapel channel. This seems to reinforce my suspicion of adjacent satellite interference being the cause of the locking errors.

Reactions: mc6809e
I tried a blind scan last night on my Amiko Mini HD SE and couldn't even get a hint of it. I just tried again now (10:15am eastern) and got it right away on a blind scan at 82% Q. Only got one channel though - didn't they have two or three channels before?
Same experience here -- I tried it just now on the Amiko Mini HD SE and blind scanned it in without any problem.

I am also showing only one channel on 4005 V. I ran the signal analyzer on my TBS6983 and it confirms this.

sc_tbs_5983.jpg

Reactions: FTA4PA
Same here. A short while ago a blind scan locked it in.

Last night I noticed on the signal analyzer that 4000H and 4005V had approx. the same signal strength. Today 4005V is about 2 db stronger than 4000H. That may explain why we are getting it now but not on some receivers last night.

However, it doesn't explain why last night I could receive it on a cheap $40 X2 Premium Mini HD, but not on the Amiko Mini HD SE. My best guess is that the X2 and TBS5983 have better frequency selectivity and/or blind scan software than Amiko products.

There is a serious problem with that frequency. Only was locking on the TBS6983 PCI card this afternoon. Wouldn't lock on any of the 5 STBs I tested on the bench.

N6BY, good catch on the horizontal transponder. I am also seeing the Horizontal TP 1dB hotter than the Vertical at this time. I believe I was wrong on the problem being adjacent satellite interference. I am thinking that the interference is actually being caused by cross polarization bleed. If the skew isn't perfect, the tuner is getting hit with conflicting signals. Adjusted the skew and detuned the Vertical side by 10 degrees and Shepherds Chapel is reliably locking on all receivers.

There is a serious problem with that frequency. Only was locking on the TBS6983 PCI card this afternoon. Wouldn't lock on any of the 5 STBs I tested on the bench.

N6BY, good catch on the horizontal transponder. I am also seeing the Horizontal TP 1dB hotter than the Vertical at this time. I believe I was wrong on the problem being adjacent satellite interference. I am thinking that the interference is actually being caused by cross polarization bleed. If the skew isn't perfect, the tuner is getting hit with conflicting signals. Adjusted the skew and detuned the Vertical side by 10 degrees and Shepherds Chapel is reliably locking on all receivers.
Understood adjusting the skew, but can't grasp "detuned the Vertical side by 10 degrees".

.... I am also seeing the Horizontal TP 1dB hotter than the Vertical at this time...
I am seeing the Vertical TP (4005 V) about 2-3 dB hotter. Last night the vertical and horizontal TPs were approx. the same level. I haven't touched the dish or LNBF either.

Meant that the vertical polarity was previously optimized on 99w for existing vertical transponders. Have now rotated approximately 10 degrees from previous skew setting.

I also am seeing Vertical at approx. 2.5dB hotter than measured in mid afternoon. Maybe an uplinker is working on it? Transponder AGC switched off? Satellite moving in and out of the uplink beam within the box?

I see the same frequency on 101.0°w too. Is this a bleed over or are they transmitting on two satellites? Bleed over on a 12ft dish?

Attachments

• 1428420447010.jpg
    1428420447010.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 205
I thought as much, but why are my picking it up there also? This is an addition to all the regular channels from 101w. Could it be my skew is off?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)