Amiko A3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

calmeidajr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
NJ
Hello...looking to get the amiko a3 receiver. What's the verdict on it good or bad?

A very good receiver. However, it is not your old receiver. It is an Android Computer running software that makes it the set top box we love. So, if you do go ahead and get one, the very first thing to do with it after you get it out of the box and plugged in, is TO MAKE A BACKUP. That way if you do something that you wished you hadn't, it is an easy fix.

The box does have a bit of a learning curve, but is worth it.

Go ahead and get one.

Now is the best time to order one with the $25 Rebate offer running until the end of the month. See below for details.
Sorry I meant to get this posted on the official A3 site last night but didn't get to it. I'm going to copy it below so everyone sees the details and has the link to the form.

Thanks to special arrangements Amiko Americas is able to offer a $25 rebate on A3’s purchased from USA Authorized Retailers between 2/26/2015 and 3/30/2015. Amiko A3 is the most complete satellite, media center, streaming and OTT STB in the world. Between the recently launched North American EPG, Android O/S, support for NA direct from the manufacturer, the countless other features not available in any other NA Satellite receiver and the rebate pricing A3 is a bargain.

Michael Electronics, Titanium Satellite, Gotcband .com and FridgeFTA Satellite Store are all participating in the rebate offer and have the latest A3 with EPG built in. Contact information for Authorized Retailers is available at http://www.amiko-a3.us/?page_id=32

There are only a limited number of Amiko A3 available for this rebate offer so get yours before they are gone.

For complete offer details, terms and conditions please review the rebate form at http://amiko-a3.us/AMIKO_AMERICAS_A3_REBATE.pdf

Is there much reason to get an A3 if you don't have a good hi-speed Internet connection?

No, there are other receivers that are better if you need just an FTA receiver and nothing else. They also don't have such a huge learning curve. I have an A3, and I still use my MicroHD everyday for my recordings.

I'm waiting for the A3 firmware that works right with MeTV and others, that the A3 doesn't properly work with as of yet. I have no intention of loading firmware after firmware for a year before we get the "best" one. I can't understand why it takes so long to get one that's a keeper, and that works properly. Not that I'm saying the A3 is exclusive with that problem.

That's my opinion, and may not be shared by others.

No, there are other receivers that are better if you need just an FTA receiver and nothing else. They also don't have such a huge learning curve. I have an A3, and I still use my MicroHD everyday for my recordings.

I'm waiting for the A3 firmware that works right with MeTV and others, that the A3 doesn't properly work with as of yet. I have no intention of loading firmware after firmware for a year before we get the "best" one. I can't understand why it takes so long to get one that's a keeper, and that works properly. Not that I'm saying the A3 is exclusive with that problem.

That's my opinion, and may not be shared by others.
At least one other person agrees with you (me). I almost bought an A3, but after some research determined that it wasn't for me. Fortunately I was able to communicate with the distributors and Amiko America in this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/amiko-a3-questions-before-i-buy.344202/

The Mini HD was a better choice for me. I hope there are firmware updates to fix some of the issues, but its stable and works OK for now.

is the A3 the only receiver you can transfer files from the external drive to your computer over your network or can you do that with the amiko mini as well?

can the A3's wireless be shut off? I prefer a wired network connection to avoid stray RF

Mini HD SE is a budget STB aimed mostly at guys that just want to watch satellite. The internet and networking functions for Mini are very limited. You can't do FTP or HTTP transfers for example. If you want to watch a movie on Mini (that is in one of the limited supported formats) it involves copying from computer to a flash or USB HDD and plugging into the Mini.

A3 will only run wired or wireless, not both. If you enabled wired ethernet the WiFi is shut off automatically. Wired for sure is the best way to go anyway.

My A3 developed a serious problem a few months ago and hasn't worked right since. I'm too intimidated by the problems I've had with it to try and fix it.
Brian emailed me instructions to fix it but it seems a bit over my experience level.

I'm considering just sending it in and letting the experts repair it.

Since I moved I lost my C-band dishes, they are still at my old house. :crying (I need help relocating them and planting the new poles)..

Having moved from my big yard with a dish farm to a tiny yard with very little room and with rotten weather, I've been really hindered in getting anything done about my FTA hobby.
Right now I'm using my MicroHD which is 100% rock solid and dependable on a single KU dish to watch classic Doctor Who on weeknights. But it's downstairs and I don't like sitting in the living room all night. I need to have FTA in my computer room upstairs. Supposedly I could stream the A3 to one of my Macs up here which would be dandy. But as someone else mentioned, it does not record MeTV and that's quite annoying for me.
I really, really wanted to record MeTV content. Oh, and I believe it also had a problem recording Movies! (Also Weigel) and H&I seemed to give me trouble recording.
All I really watch on FTA Is Weigel and Luken networks. Since moving I've been stuck having to watch MeTV on local OTA and the quality is dreadful. Not to mention the injection of dreadful local commercials and content. But until I get my big dishes moved to my new home that's all I can get.

Last few times I would try to boot up the A3 it just locks up and never boots. It takes dozens of power cycles to get it to come up.

It's a computer and it's subject to getting seriously messed up, which mine is. I obviously got a lemon but I was an early adopter.
Other folks seem to have been having much better luck with theirs than I have.

I liked the concept, the things it is supposed to do seemed to be a dream come true. For me though, not so much.

I obviously got a lemon but I was an early adopter.
I too doubt you got a lemon. I know with some products being an early adopter can be an issue. However, in the case of the A3 the units are all the same. No hardware changes have been made. The only thing newer if one has not updated would be newer firmware. I have sold several of these units and have yet to have one that is a lemon. I have ran into a couple where the customer has deleted something without making a back-up. In these cases, when I received the unit back all I had to do was a restore and back out the door in minutes. Now having said all that, all electronics have a chance of a component failing, just the way it is. With it being under warranty though I would send it back as Brian said. Don't make your life complicated. :)

Reactions: fred555
Dee Ann,

It's under warranty. Why not send it in?

Doubt you got a lemon or that life dealt you another bad hand.... :(

Yes, I am going to do that this week, I'll have to go find the box it came in at my old house before I can send it back.

I tried the "fix" that you emailed to me some time back and it's just dead. It is hung on "boot" and it will not enter the recovery mode no matter how many times I try.

I followed the directions precisely and it never gets past one of three states.
1: totally black screen, dead and unresponsive to the world and the word "boot" on the display.
2: The initial A3 screen appears and the display says "boot" and that's it. Completely hung and unresponsive to the world.
3: The initial A3 screen appears and the display says "boot" but after about 30 seconds the screen turns black. Completely hung and unresponsive to the world.

The recovery methods you sent to me were completely ignored by the box, it just won't boot at all, period, not even into the recovery mode.

So I'm sending it back this week and let you guys work it over with a baseball bat.
(oh yes, and I will include the remote this time~!)

I suppose I need to call you tomorrow and get an RMA and shipping directions, yes?

Thanks..

Wait, actually I am an idiot.

Yes, yes I am an idiot. I will leave it sitting on this one screen for one hour.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)