Amiko Alien 2 activation

Amiko Americas has spent time and resources developing this receiver for the NA market, don't you think its fair for them to only support their own customers? This is becoming a common practice, given the amount of clones out there.

Their customers are very well supported.

Let me put it this way. If I buy a television set, I don't expect to need to connect to a manufacturer's site before I can watch TV. I certainly don't expect them to lock out my legitimately purchased TV if I happen to takes some action too many times. I'm thinking of this from the point of view of a customer. If I go into a store that sells TV and find out that my TV won't work because I didn't buy it from the right dealer, sure I would return that TV to the place that sold it to me BUT I would never in a million years consider buying another TV of that brand from ANY dealer. Life is too short to deal with that kind of B.S. and as a customer it is not my job to figure out who is selling a legitimate unit and who isn't. There are enforcement mechanisms for that (doesn't the FBI or some other agency assist in taking counterfeit goods off the market?).

But the other issue is exactly what's happened here - a customer buys a legitimate product from a legitimate source and has no way to use it because they are more worried about protecting their profits than giving their customers a good experience. If I open up a brand new product I want to use it NOW, not in two days or a week or whenever someone gets around to blessing my purchase. There have got to be ways to automate this process so the customer doesn't have to wait. And frankly, if legitimate dealers make it hard to use their products, then why shouldn't people just buy a, how should I say it, less well respected receiver that won't give them any hassle when they attempt to use it?

A customer is NOT very well supported when they unpack their shiny new device, for which they have paid a significant chunk of change, and then have to wait some undetermined amount of time before they can use it for its intended purpose. That totally sucks and it ruins the thrill of getting a new device. Plus, the longer it takes, the more angry a customer will get. I doubt that the OP will be recommending that receiver to their friends, at least not as readily as they might have otherwise. If you are a monopoly company with captive customers maybe you can get away with treating customers this way, but it's not something I'd advise for smaller companies dealing in products such as this.

Pacificrim,

Sounds like something got hung up in the activation. Maybe the serial number didn't post the request to the Amiko site? Probably get a quicker response if you go directly to the Amiko support site rather than through the reseller. Maybe the Canadian reseller isn't open for business on the weekends to respond to your email.

Did you fill out a support ticket yesterday on the Amiko America website? I know that Joe is usually around 24/7.

Ok guys I think some here are jumping the gun without knowing the whole story. Lets wait until Joe comes in to reply, I have sent word to him, to come here and answer some questions.

Michael

But the other issue is exactly what's happened here - a customer buys a legitimate product from a legitimate source and has no way to use it because they are more worried about protecting their profits than giving their customers a good experience. If I open up a brand new product I want to use it NOW, not in two days or a week or whenever someone gets around to blessing my purchase. There have got to be ways to automate this process so the customer doesn't have to wait. And frankly, if legitimate dealers make it hard to use their products, then why shouldn't people just buy a, how should I say it, less well respected receiver that won't give them any hassle when they attempt to use it?

I think you're not quite understanding the situation. You don't need to register an Amiko receiver to watch TV, or to use it as a media player, or even to watch network streams if you configure them yourself. The only thing you can't do without registering it with Joe's company (in North America, or with Amiko themselves in other parts of the world) is use the preconfigured network stream portal that Joe himself maintains (or Amiko themselves elsewhere.) That's not unreasonable at all, is it?

(I think you may need to register it to download firmware updates, also, but this is kind of a non-issue because recent firmware updates haven't really done much for non-European users, at least in terms of satellite functionality.)

I am a satellite installer and IT guy and if I installed gear and then left customers without their stuff being able to be used fully, I'd get screamed at. Having said that, I posted with hope someone from Amiko North America actually reads these forums - like Brian does for his products. My hope was to get it going before another week goes by. I got it on tuesday and have limited time to play with it. Like I said, I have my satellites all set, LAN shares working, played with youtube and shoutcast, but nothing else works yet because of activation. I'm still hopeful.

Yes, I filled in the Contact Us form on the main Amiko US site. I included the device ID. The original activation completed and said it would take up to 48 hours. That was wednesday afternoon. I had a problem initially because the remote down button had a plastic burr on it that made it hard to click.

The activation, or lack of, also affects the WebTV stuff. Clicking on anything in the list result in "Play Start Failed!". This is just Internet content like Nasa or website news, not premium hosted content. I'm not sure why it needs to be part of activation. I've clicked on everything and it all fails. I hope it gets activated soon.

Thanks. I read that before I bought the Alien2 and it sure implies that it is an instant procedure - like 2 minutes. I spent a lot of time reading and I even posted a few inquiries on this board before purchasing and then before its arrival. That's why I'm still hopeful it be working today.

Hope he answers soon, I am myself considering buying one of these boxes, specially because with its Blind Scan characteristics,it will be an excellent match to my new C1 PLL.
But at the same time I don't want to end with a doorstopper; today hardware is very good from most sources, what makes the different is the layers of service surrounding the product

At this point I can't recommend the Amiko Alien 2. The obvious reason is because I haven't seen it run through its paces. Right now, still unactivated, it is a dual tuner fta box that plays youtube, picasa, and lan shares. I'm still hopeful....

Still not activated. I've emailed Jalan Electronics (Canadian dealer) again, but still no answer.
Still no answer from the US either.
I guess they're out of business?

Have you posted on fridgefta.info forums asking why there's been no response? That's their home forum.

Whoops, ok, I see you already did start a thread over there the other day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)