AMIKO Amiko Alien 2 - ran out of sats I can reassign

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
I can only reassign (edit the longitude and name of the sat) 9 sats in the North American satlist for the Amiko Alien 2. Unfortunately, I need to add another. Is there a way?

What I do is use the Database Transformer to save the .xml files and edit the sat.xml file, changing whichever satellite I know I won't be using to whatever I want. After saving the edited file I run the Database Transformer again and load the edited file back into the Alien2. The new satellite entry is then ready to use.

BTW, I use the same process on the Alien1 and A3.

Ernie

You can even telnet in and use vi to edit the files right on the box.

Either way, MAKE A BACKUP! The receivers do NOT like corrupted satellite lists, and WILL do strange things!

Hi pacificrim,

One of the staff here asked me to address this so I'll chime in.

Ernie has it right. The process to change orbital location for USALS purposes is basically the same on A1, A2 and A3. Actually can't say 100% on A3 as I have scripts that take satellite lists and do it plus they are all end user changeable right in the STB.

I no longer have A2 satellite lists here since A2 Twin was discontinued a long time ago. It is archived in a backup somewhere. Going off of memory, here is what you need to change orbital location.

1. Use database transformer to export. You'll end up with a bunch of XML files. The one you want for this is sat.xml or satellites.xml (I don't recall exact name offhand).

2. Open with Notepad ++ or other suitable XML editor.

3. For each bird you want to change, find:
Code:
longitude=

4. Change to match what you want. Examples: 87W = -870. 91W = -910. 99.2W = -992W

Working example, 99.2W:

Code:
longitude="-992"

BTW - "a long time ago"? The A3 has been for sale for 3 days and suddenly the A2 is a dinosaur. Nice.
Do you have an A3? EVERYTHING is now a dinosaur compared to that.

pacificrim, not to be impolite or anything but Alien2 has not been offered in North America for well over a year. By your words yes "a long time ago" and tech wise also. My apologies that A2 twin was discontinued by Europe and NA "a long time ago" (1yr+). Let me further apologize for not remembering further details on the fly for you for the XML's given that for the last year of A2 twin it was all binaries. I thought I did ok on the fly to answer your question.

primestar31 you are absolutely right but I hope you did not mean your comment @ pacificrim in a bad way. A2's still work just fine for satellite and very basic internet things. STB's, at least those that keep up are subject to Moore's Law. The power is going to double every 2 years easy. With Android it is more like 4x. Further, the ways we watch content have totally changed. A2 is still light years ahead of things like assbox but is certainly behind the times. Again, excellent satellite receiver but not so much for the ways we watch content these days.

At ease.
I'm generally an early adopter, however I bought my A2 new less than a year ago and have no appetite for throwing out a new receiver. It won't get me one more channel, I already have a HTPC, and the A2 does the network thing well enough. All I wanted to know was how to add a sat and I appreciate the answer I received, but I paid like $300 for the A2 and plan to keep the old dino another day. Thx

What I would like to see is a modular design from a manufacturer so we can stop throwing out 1 year old stuff. That however, is a discussion for another thread.
Thx.

Nope, no ill intent with my comment, just putting forth the facts as I see them in a short sentence. I also still own a SatAv MicroHD, and will continue to use that along with my new A3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts