Amiko Mini HD SE

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I’m still not done reviewing the Amiko Mini HD/SE, but my latest experience and feelings about this STB follow:

Pro’s

Quality of picture is high.
Blind scan is fast.
Stability is excellent.
Added features such as You Tube, Weather and such are nice and work very well.
Signal and quality meter actually seem pretty close to my Tracker Light (unlike my X2 Mini which displays numbers much lower than my meter).
The graphic interface is easy to navigate once accustom to (see con below).
Channel switching is quick.
Flash update from the Internet was easy (once the graphic interface is learned – also watch the You Tube video on updating).
You Tube tutorials (yes this has nothing to do with the STB itself but these are great and eliminate the need to even look at the manual, which is listed as a con below).
Recording to an external hard drive is easy and works well.
Ethernet connection is plug and play for most home users.
Ability to use the ALi Big2Small application on my Google Nexus 7 to watch 4:2:2 broadcasts received by the STB but not able to decode them is a big plus. I just plug my Nexus 7 into one of my HDMI ports on my TV and I have 4:2:2 from the STB.

Con’s

The user’s manual is typical for STB’s I’ve used – better to ignore.
The graphic interface takes time to get accustom to as settings aren’t where one might think they should be.

The Amiko Mini HD SE comes with everything you need to get it up and running once connected to the coax. I thought that I wouldn’t like the idea of not having any buttons on the STB itself, but those buttons that are on other STB’s have proven to be unnecessary. Everything is easily controlled through the remote control, which has a great number of features too. Amiko even includes the HDMI cable and an AV Out cable. The AV Out cable came in handy because I use my mini laptop and a USB video/audio capture to view what the STB is broadcasting while working on the dish outside the house. That’s much easier than dragging a TV along because I also have the Internet to look things up as I work. I’m glad Amiko included that cable. As you can see, I don’t have many con’s. There is a learning curve, but I’m getting past that with help from everyone on the Satellite Guys site as well as from Joe, the owner of Amiko Americas and FridgeFTA Satellite which is where I ordered my Amkio Mini HD SE from. Can’t get much better support than that unless Joe wants to fly out to Dallas and help me finish the setup? Na, didn’t think so. That’s a little overboard on the support service. Over all I like the box very much. I really like the HD quality on my 32” LED TV. It’s as good as what I get off my Verizon FiOS on my 65” DLP TV. With the Amiko Mini HD SE, PLL LNB, 76 cm Winegard dish, and SG 6100 motor I’m into this for about $252.99. That’s a pretty small outlay for HD quality plus all the other features the Amiko Mini HD SE offers. I’m going to enjoy using it at home, and soon on a trip to a remote area of Colorado where no TV reception other than Dish, Direct, or best of all FTA is available. I’ll be leaving the equipment in Colorado for my aunt and uncle through the summer. I imagine they will purchase it from me and I’ll be placing another order for the exact same equipment, including the Amiko Mini HD SE STB. These of course are my personal opinions, others may vary. My experience is from old Pansat 2500 and 2800, a Conexsat using 30" dishes, and a 4DTV STB with a BUD. I also jumped back in on the cheap with a X2 Mini, which was a good re-introduction to FTA but will most likely find its way into a storage box someplace - what can I say I paid $22.00 for it. I'd say it would end up in my travel trailer but the HD of the Amiko Mini HD SE for just $99.99 has me hooked. Ok, so the X2 Mini will most likely end up in the travel trailer as an emergency backup - yeah, that'll be good.

Todd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)