amplifier advice

the mack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
HOCKEYTOWN
looking to install a line amp at my cottage install that has about a 400' cable run and was wondering which one would work the best.

I an using it on a 1000.2 dish with 3 dual lnb's and a dpp44 switch feeding one 722k.

tuner one has good signal levels, but tuner two levels are a little low, which I assume is because it uses higher frequencies than tuner one with the dpp separator set-up.

these are the two I am considering

HTML:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=05&p=LA143&d=Sonora-DBS-14-dB-Gain-Triple-Line-Amplifier-%28LA143%29&c=Amplifiers&sku=

HTML:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=SD-LA20&d=Sonora-SDLA20-DBS-Line-Amplifier-%28SD-LA20%29&c=Amplifiers&sku=

the triple one I would put before the switch and the single one I would put after the switch....

looking for some insight on what would work best or what others may be using....

TIA

Follow Up

ended up using this one

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...Gain-Line-Amplifier-(LA141)&c=Amplifiers&sku=

got it for 15 bucks shipped on ebay, and it did everything I needed it to do. now my tuner 2 signals are exactly the same as tuner 1 (plus or minus 1 point). no gain anywhere except where I needed it.

when I first got it I hooked it up at home where my signals were good and it made NO difference at all, no gain or loss. that had me worried that I would see no improvement and my cottage install, but it worked out great saving me the expense of replacing the rg-6 with rg-11.....

wow 400' is a long run using RG6 even with line amps and dpp44 swtiches. As an installer, when distance is an issue I have always used RG11 to run to the house. Using a separate RG11 cable for each lnb port (IE 3 cables for your 1000.2) then we place the line amplifiers, either at the dish itself or at the switch (on the satellite in side).

There are satellite installation tool websites out there that have RG11 coax swept to 3GZ for very reasonable prices, 1000' for $160 or so if i remember right, so you can probably get a couple rolls for less than $400. The cable is cheap, you just gotta get out there and dig the trench.

I have a couple of rolls of rg-11 from my cable install days, but it is not flooded. due to los issues I had to place the dish on the island across from mine so the cable is run under water.

I did not think the run was as far as it actually was, I thought it was 300' or less but i did not factor in the depth. cable footage markings confirmed that I am almost at 450' from dish to receiver.

it has been in the water 3 years now and never really had any problems as tuner 1 had a good signal, this year I noticed the tuner 2 levels were kinda low and there were a couple of channels I could not get a lock on.

it worked the same with the standard 1000.2 lnb but I was worried about burning out the power supply on my 722k, so I went with the dpp44 set-up so I could use a separate power supply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)