Status
Please reply by conversation.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
A couple of nice young men installed a multiswitch today as part of my upgrade from an HR10-250 to an HR21. Anyway I thought it would be good for a laugh. Anyone suffered a worse install than this?

Attachments

• directv install.JPG
    directv install.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,230
The zippie ties are a nice touch :)

Hey, at least it's grounded (I think)! :D

Ummm, the terminal blocks I had in there I had grounded. Havent opened it up to see if they bothered to do the same. LOL. ANyway, is it ok to pull that switch out and subject it to the elements or do I need to get a new bigger box to put it in?

That has got to be one of worst I have seen.
D* should see that:eek:
I kinda feel sorry for the 2 guys. They were handed 5 jobs at 10am to get done by noon and mine only paid 20 bucks they said. Less than a service call. they only had two of the jobs done and left my place at 12:30pm

Last edited:
Ummm, the terminal blocks I had in there I had grounded. Havent opened it up to see if they bothered to do the same. LOL. ANyway, is it ok to pull that switch out and subject it to the elements or do I need to get a new bigger box to put it in?

I don't think I would be comfortable with connections be directly exposed to the
elements. Especially freezing rain.

I think they are designed to be ok in the weather, it's probably better if it's not, but I've seen them tie wrapped to the pole on a pole mount set up, so I would say, it should be OK.
looks like it's in a corner as well, so it may be somewhat out of the weather.
I would not be too happy with the way they left it though.

Jimbo

I did learn something interesting. I couldnt remember which cables ran to the house and which ran to the dish. The tech said " no problem" as he stuck each one, one at a time to his tongue. LOL

I did learn something interesting. I couldnt remember which cables ran to the house and which ran to the dish. The tech said " no problem" as he stuck each one, one at a time to his tongue. LOL

Your kidding , right ?

btw, like Tyralak said, there's been MUCH worse, sadly to say.

Jimbo

no I'm serious

Did you send him to the NUT house ?

fwiw, your not suppose to plug a rec. in until all connections are made, so if he followed that rule, he would not find any voltage in any lines. There is NO voltage coming from the LNB itself.

Jimbo

They shouldn't have put it in the box, but at the same time it not required to install the switch in that. The switch is outdoor/indoor rated.

Hey vurbano, I saw somebody at the other site claim that they now have HD locals in Norfolk from D*. But the poster seemed like he might've been a little "off." What do you see?

EDIT: It turns the poster didn't know what he was talking about and was wrong.

Last edited:
A couple of nice young men installed a multiswitch today as part of my upgrade from an HR10-250 to an HR21. Anyway I thought it would be good for a laugh. Anyone suffered a worse install than this?

V, I and a number of others have joked in the past about D* doing stuff on purpose to "mess with your mind" because of your generally negative attitude(s) about them but (if this picture is real), I'm now convinced that they really are messing with you.

Call them and have them come back out and do the job right.

If that is a Zinwell WB68, on page two, item two of the install instructions says

"Mount the WB68 in a protected environment where it is shielded from rain and other water (sprinklers, etc.)

I know a lot of them work out in the rain. I just don't know for how long!

ANyway, is it ok to pull that switch out and subject it to the elements or do I need to get a new bigger box to put it in?
Mine is out in the open, and has experienced plenty of elements in 3 years. I've considered putting it in a box (although more for a cleaner look on the side of the house than protection from elements), but have been too lazy. :)

I'll have to dig up a pic of my slimline install and post it...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)