An open letter to the DIRT team at Satelliteguys

Status
Please reply by conversation.
that same FCC is telling Dish as of right now they are NOT allowed to sell any station not in the market (as designated by Nielsen) unless that market is missing that network.
Dish decided to dance on the landmine too many times back in 06 by allowing folks who shouldnt have qualified for distants to get them. They went to court and lost.

They recently were allowed to carry stations outside of the area in the example I have given (missing affiliates). No matter how many times you ask, the answer is the same. Dish cannot import any station not in your market unless that affiliate is missing

Direct duplicated two networks for Cleburne County (Atlanta DMA) but not their neighboring county Randolph, which is also in the Atlanta DMA.

Wasn't Dish's time in the penalty box over sometime back? And why does the FCC insist that it's not their doing? None of this makes sense. But I certainly have no loyalty to Dish.

And then there's the statement by the NAB (see my original post in this thread) that say essentially non-duplicate programs could be given now.

I'm going to let this go by the wayside and ask the moderator to close the thread.

It's obvious that Dish reps are not going to answer any of this, which is not surprising, since they have a history of ignoring things they can't or won't answer.

Thank you all for your responses,

John

Direct duplicated two networks for Cleburne County (Atlanta DMA) but not their neighboring county Randolph, which is also in the Atlanta DMA.
Those 2 stations are not considered SV in Randolph county. According to the FCC list its these
Randolph
WRBL, 3, Columbus, GA
WTVM, 9, Columbus, GA
+WXTX, 54, Columbus, GA

Wasn't Dish's time in the penalty box over sometime back? And why does the FCC insist that it's not their doing? None of this makes sense. But I certainly have no loyalty to Dish.
The only reason Dish was allowed to import missing stations is they promised the FCC they would get all markets up in SD (as long as the stations came to retrans agreement with Dish) as long as they could only import a station if it is needed. The FCC agreed and back in June 2010 all the missing markets were added.

And then there's the statement by the NAB (see my original post in this thread) that say essentially non-duplicate programs could be given now.
moot point. The FCC says otherwise.

It's obvious that Dish reps are not going to answer any of this, which is not surprising, since they have a history of ignoring things they can't or won't answer.

They arent going to respond because they have no say on this. Its been posted a few times if you want to change what locals you get you need to talk to Nielsen or your elected officals

Also, the National Association of Broadcasters says this about local programming for orphan counties in a report to the FCC in January of this year:
Quoting chapter and verse from the NAB is not helping your cause given that the NAB is the primary reason that the divisions were made. The NAB is solely responsible for the whole DMA oriented TV delivery scheme that you find so awful.

Do you often ask your vehicle mechanic to address traffic jam issues on your morning drive or your computer guru to pressure your ISP to offer you better speed or lower rates? That's effectively what you're asking the DIRT people to do.

jspriddy, I have forwarded your feedback regarding this issue. At this time DISH Network does not offer significantly viewed networks, and have no announcements to make about plans to launch this program.

Raymond
Technically Dish does offer a smaller version of SV.....the markets that are missing a network gets one imported in from a neighboring DMA. But that is it.

that same FCC is telling Dish as of right now they are NOT allowed to sell any station not in the market (as designated by Nielsen) unless that market is missing that network.
Dish decided to dance on the landmine too many times back in 06 by allowing folks who shouldnt have qualified for distants to get them. They went to court and lost.

They recently were allowed to carry stations outside of the area in the example I have given (missing affiliates). No matter how many times you ask, the answer is the same. Dish cannot import any station not in your market unless that affiliate is missing

But evidently Direct can, and does.

jspriddy, I have forwarded your feedback regarding this issue. At this time DISH Network does not offer significantly viewed networks, and have no announcements to make about plans to launch this program.

To whom? I've been through this with Dish dispute resolution to no avail.

Do you often ask your vehicle mechanic to address traffic jam issues on your morning drive or your computer guru to pressure your ISP to offer you better speed or lower rates? That's effectively what you're asking the DIRT people to do.

I ask my mechanic (I'm surprised that a techno-geek wouldn't know they are technicians now) when my car doesn't run right. My satellite system doesn't run right-it provides news, sports and weather that's immaterial to my life. Go back to your tweeters and woofers and sub-whatevers. You'll be much happier there.

You need to bombard A.C. Neilson with complaints and petitions to have your county moved to the Birmingham DMA like all the counties around you. The FCC and NAB have ceded the discretion for which DMA you are place in to A.C. Neilson - go after them.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: I think that it is safe to say that the OP's request has been answered and that OP has been given options if OP does not like it (complain elsewhere or switch providers.) Might I give another suggestion. Move.

He's apparently not going to listen -er - read anything that does not agree with his position on this. He doesn't need our permission to send letters or write open letters, and if he doesn't think it is a waste of time, that's up to him. If those channels are significantly viewed then they should be available OTA. Problem solved. Otherwise, to me, just get a provider that gives you those channels. It's not a Dish problem per se - they are providing network channels just not the ones he wants.

Last edited:
But evidently Direct can, and does.

as I posted before they do it in EXTREME cases. One example actually is the market my address is in. Mankato, MN (about 90miles SW from Minneapolis) is a 2 station market (CBS & Fox)
Their county (Blue Earth you get CBS & Fox from Mankato, NBC & ABC from Minneapolis). Now for the SV the county across the river (Nicollet County....North Mankato) gets Mpls locals. The CBS in Mankato (KEYC) their studios are actually in that county so we get KEYC too. I'm having issues with D* to have them add Fox Mankato. Its considered SV but they havent offered it in Nicollet County yet

As Iceberg has said the rules are different for Dish, because of the trouble they got into offering everyone out of market distant networks several years ago.

yep. Hate to say it but back then I was one of them. The cabin address at the time legally qualified for all nets but CBS (there is a CBS about 50 miles away). But locals were available (Mpls). yet Dish allowed me to sub to distants and locals. So I had Mpls locals and ABC, NBC, Fox from Denver and LA (the choices I wanted)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts