Analog cable only analog delivery.

JohnH

Godfather of the Uplink Reports
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Kansas City, Missouri
This morning at about 6 AM 60+ of the 70 or so "analog" channels on Comcast Cable here "froze" and went silent for almost an hour. It even included all of the local channels but 1. Was very strange to have to tune 6 ABC on DIRECTV to get the morning news. :)

In many systems, those "analog" channels are transmitted digitally over fiber until they are turned back over to the copper cable plant. Any breakdown of this digital portion of the delivery of analog stations can resemble a digital type problem.

Ive never heard of such a thing vegas. They maybe transmitted digital throughout the headend and posssibley to the hubs but the fiber into the nieghborhood carries the signals in the same format the customer will receive it. rather it be analog or digital. The node only takes it from light and turns it to rf, it does not change the type of channel it is (ie: analog or digital) before it hits the copper plant.

The signals make at least one "media conversion" when going from fiber to cable, but the channels themselves are analog throughout.

The only conversion they make at the NODE (which takes the fiber and puts it on copper) is they turn the Light signal into an RF signal that transmits on the copper.

Ive never heard of such a thing vegas. They maybe transmitted digital throughout the headend and posssibley to the hubs but the fiber into the nieghborhood carries the signals in the same format the customer will receive it. rather it be analog or digital. The node only takes it from light and turns it to rf, it does not change the type of channel it is (ie: analog or digital) before it hits the copper plant.

My information may well be wrong. It's been a while since having this explained to me during the digital certification by COX back when it first rolled out in Vegas. Either my information has aged to uselessness or I got an erroneous explanation. This was what we were told when they started implementing an HFC plant in Vegas.

No worries mate, just to convert the signal from digital to analog would require an ATSC decoder for each channel and they dont fit in a ped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)