Analog cut off date...then what for OTA?

There is one local channel I can't get with an OTA without screwing up all the others so I watch that one via sat. They did a demo this morning to show what will happen and if you will need a converter or not. They pulled the analog plug for about 15 seconds and a message appears that says if you see this you need a converter box. I thought signals coming from the sat. were all digital and Id have no problem but I guess I was wrong. They've been saying if you have cable or satellite your fine but this demo proved that wrong.

My DMA has 2 CBS, 2 NBC, 2 ABC, 2 FOX and 2 PBS stations. They simucast (sp) stuff but each station (with the exception of PBS) offers their own local newscasts. Currently Dish carries ONE ABC, NBC and PBS in my DMA and each of them is from the far city, none are the "local" newscasts. Thanks for your help tough!

No your DMA does not have 2 each of these channels. None do with the exception of PBS. You may be near the boundary of 2 DMA's and can pick up both with an OTA antenna, cable or a combination of the 2. Cable is allowed to deliver more than one DMA but satellite is not except in the case of the distant networks rules that Dish is not allowed to do. Thats a whole nuther story.

12 years ago when I was buying the house I now live in, I never expected this whole mess. I had cable in those days and I was high up on a hill where I had a UHF antenna pointed to my next DMA. Cable carries NYC stations (NYC is 85 miles SE of here) and 1 Binghamton CBS (WBNG-TV 12) 75 miles NW. My antenna had a nice look straight west to all the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre, PA stations about 65 miles away. My old place is only 5 miles from here but I am on the wrong side of the mountain to get anything now so I must rely on satellite only.

No your DMA does not have 2 each of these channels. None do with the exception of PBS. You may be near the boundary of 2 DMA's and can pick up both with an OTA antenna, cable or a combination of the 2. Cable is allowed to deliver more than one DMA but satellite is not except in the case of the distant networks rules that Dish is not allowed to do. Thats a whole nuther story.

You know this for sure??

KSRE TV 6 Minot, ND PBS Not Available
KBME TV 3 Bismark, ND PBS Available 110° 7/6/05
KFYR TV 5 Bismark, ND NBC Available 110° 7/6/05
KMOT TV 10 Minot, ND NBC Not Available
KXMB TV 12 Bismark, ND CBS Retrans Consent 110°
KXMC TV 13 Minot, ND CBS Not Available
KBMY TV 17 Bismark, ND ABC Available 110° 7/24/06
KMCY TV 14 Minot, ND ABC Not Available
KXND TV 26 Bismark, ND Fox Retrans Consent 110°

Minot.gif

Sorry I was wrong, only one FOX.

Last edited:
There is one local channel I can't get with an OTA without screwing up all the others so I watch that one via sat. They did a demo this morning to show what will happen and if you will need a converter or not. They pulled the analog plug for about 15 seconds and a message appears that says if you see this you need a converter box. I thought signals coming from the sat. were all digital and Id have no problem but I guess I was wrong. They've been saying if you have cable or satellite your fine but this demo proved that wrong.
Since they did it on purpose ahead of the cutoff date, expected behavior. I would expect dish will change their uplink to use the digital feed sometime between now and then.

Their demo is wrong. In many cities, the satellite companies currently use the analog signal to obtain their locals over satellite. Dish just started installing digital receivers to replace their analog equipment. Later this year, Dish will complete the equipment changeover and then the demo will be correct for satellite customers. When they change, you will see improved picture quality on SD locals, HD locals are already using the digital signal.

Their demo is wrong. In many cities, the satellite companies currently use the analog signal to obtain their locals over satellite. Dish just started installing digital receivers to replace their analog equipment. Later this year, Dish will complete the equipment changeover and then the demo will be correct for satellite customers. When they change, you will see improved picture quality on SD locals, HD locals are already using the digital signal.

Thanks to both you guys. This is good info. I wish Dish would give Las Vegas some HD locals.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)