ANALOG LPTV DEADLINE DROPPED

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
The FCC has dropped a Sept. 1 deadline for low-power TV and translator stations to convert to digital broadcasting. While full-power stations were required to go digital-only in 2009, LPTV/translator stations have been allowed to stay in analog -- though many have switched to digital voluntarily. The FCC said it is dropping the deadline because the impending spectrum auction could force some LPTV/translator stations to make more technical changes or leave the air completely. (Class A stations, which transmit with the same power levels as LPTV but get extra protections in exchange for compliance with many of the same rules as full-power stations, will still have to meet the Sept. 1 deadline.)

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0424/DA-15-486A1.pdf

so I guess the 2 analog translators I have around here (16 & 39) will last a little longer.
39 is Fox 21 out of Duluth. The transmitter is in Aitkin/Crow Wing county which is in the Minneapolis market. Use to have (10 years ago) 27,33,35 which were ABC, CBS & NBC from Duluth (Aitkin County use to be in the Duluth DMA)
16 is ABC 42 which is a satellite of 5 in the Twin Cities. Wish they would upgrade it to digital. They put KSTC45 (Indy) and MeTV as subchannels on it

MInnesota has one Class A station that DOES have to upgrade to digital
KQEG-CA which is in LaCrescent, MN (they carry AMG and some syndicated programming)

Arizona also has but one Class A station remaining to upgrade to digital - KUVE-CA 38 Tucson. They have an application for a digital companion on channel 42 which is making its way through the FCC comment process. Fortunately for Univision, channel 42 was the pre-transition home of full-power KHRR, so Mexican coordination won't be necessary. The Mexican government can be very - shall we say, deliberate? - about the process.

They already are since they are digital.

I have 2 analog translators in my market. They don't have to upgrade yet

If it was an analog signal you would see "snow" or sparklies.....like this ;)
This is the Fox station I mentioned above (K39GG). No its not in HD ;)

IMG_20150616_211255_747.jpg

What about them? There are several of those and they will likely continue acting as FM transmitters for some time to come.

Reactions: Mr Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts