Analyst Says Toshiba Should Make Combo's

Still cheaper to buy two boxes than one at the moment. There might be a space issue in smaller apartments. The main issue is HDMI inputs on a receiver/TV. I must say I do like the new standalone pricing for Blu-Ray. They seem to be pulling their heads out of their asses. My only issue is that they are effing around w/ profile 1.1 instead of going straight to 2.0.

Still cheaper to buy two boxes than one at the moment. There might be a space issue in smaller apartments. The main issue is HDMI inputs on a receiver/TV. I must say I do like the new standalone pricing for Blu-Ray. They seem to be pulling their heads out of their asses. My only issue is that they are effing around w/ profile 1.1 instead of going straight to 2.0.

Id say because what 2.0 adds doesnt matter to the majority and it adds to the price.

Plus, 1.1 is the standard.

Perhaps like most, all I want is to watch the movie, some deleted scenes and gag reel, a couple of making of featurettes, and some trailers. The rest of the stuff (online interactivity, pop-ups) I could care less about, so 1.1 and 2.0 make no difference to me as long as I get deep color and DTS-MA decoding (I own a PS3).

...as long as I get deep color and DTS-MA decoding (I own a PS3).
When talking about BD movies, what do you need deep color for?
BD movies don't have them and never will... unless BDA invents a profile X and makes all standalones obsolete.

Digen.

When talking about BD movies, what do you need deep color for?
BD movies don't have them and never will... unless BDA invents a profile X and makes all standalones obsolete.

Digen.

They actual already created a different format called AVCHD. Basically, it uses the different 4:4:2 and 4:4:4 color spaces in the H.264 codec to create this. Also turns out that most all the Blu-ray players can play this format.

They actual already created a different format called AVCHD. Basically, it uses the different 4:4:2 and 4:4:4 color spaces in the H.264 codec to create this. Also turns out that most all the Blu-ray players can play this format.
First, this is why I started my post with "When talking about BD movies..."
Second, if the footage is not 4:2:0/8bit, BD standalones won't play it, because the Sigma Design (I think it is used in at least 95% of them) won't understand it...

Diogen.

...and? The TVs have it, too. Now what? How does it help if the movies don't have it? And the decoder can't handle it?
You can put in the player whatever you want. You will get upsampling, upconverting, upscaling, stretching - whatever you want to call it.

Just like today upconverting DVD players (480p to 1080p; that BD lovers despise so much) - but in the color space instead of the resolution space.

I think there is even a quote from paidgeek somewhere here about this.
Oh, completely forgot, paidgeek knows nothing.... can't be found even under the table... sorry... :)

Diogen.

First, this is why I started my post with "When talking about BD movies..."
Second, if the footage is not 4:2:0/8bit, BD standalones won't play it, because the Sigma Design (I think it is used in at least 95% of them) won't understand it...

Diogen.

While I agree their is no BD deep color disc's its un true that BD standalones can't play it. Panasonic and Sony have been demoing it for a few months. They are doing this because they are backing the AVCHD format for their own camcorders which support it. The codec's in many of these newer unit will play content other than 4:2:0 because its built into the new chips being used by these systems. AND 4:4:2 and 4:4:4 is part of the AVC specification.

Panasonic demo

While I agree their is no BD deep color disc's...
All I was saying.
...its un true that BD standalones can't play it.
From your link
The player boasts a new imaging chipset...
...The image quality improvements...stem from Panasonic's UniPhier combined image and audio processor.
Hence, it isn't a regular player. It doesn't use Sigma Design chipset what most of the BD standalones do.
...The codec's in many of these newer unit will play content other than 4:2:0...
Right, you need a different player that can do more. And different content that has more, e.g. from AVCHD camcorders.
It changes nothing about BD movies.

Diogen.

All I was saying.
Hence, it isn't a regular player. It doesn't use Sigma Design chipset what most of the BD standalones do.

Well, apparently models BD-10, S1 and PS3 don't use the Sigma Design chipset. Many of the newer models from Panasonic and Sony already support it, so what's the deal saying a 'regular' one won't play it? Its obvious that manufactures are using chips that support the deep color and its more 5% of the models on the market.

1. Movies are made for the lowest denominator, i.e. no support for deep color.
Yeah, Sony is trying to prove this point irrelevant with profiles, maybe they simply obsolete all Sigma players...

2. Both VC-1 and AVC codecs used today don't support anything outside 4:2:0/8bit.
Sony's hardware MPEG-2 encoder probably as well.

Diogen.

Perhaps (but I doubt) BD 3.0+ could include 100-200 GB discs with 2 copies of the movie. One regular BD, and one with the extended color Hi444PP (which also supports 4k resolution).

If they get BD multi layers working well they could use the new layers to add a second high resolution high color program. Studios would probably want extra super copy protection then...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)