and again yet another 'moving' question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stretch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
if I "move" and my receiver dies can I "move" back to my billing address to swap equipment.. then "move" the service address again post-swap or does this throw a red flag?

I'd like to 'move' but i've had such bad luck with quality of receivers that I hesitate to buy them on my own.. i have more than got my money's worth out of the $5 a month plan (I'm on my 3rd 510)

sorry for yet another one of these threads.. im weighing all my options for the imminent lack of MLB EI.

what ^ said is true. just have them send it to your billing address.

but it is also true that "moving" back and forth does not throw any flags. i "move" to one city for football and basketball season and "move" somewhere else for baseball season.

i know somebody else that "moved" three times in the same day to better follow coverage of hurricane rita in houston. the bottom line is that the CSRs don't care. happy customers don't switch to cable.

Thanks for the quick replies... as a followup (put here in an attempt to save another redundant thread), looking at the Dish channel/sat chart, am I correct that the big 4 networks non-HD for Chicago are on national beams?

( i'm outside their spot beam, and can live with only having the big 4 nets, I realize even if I am correct in my above assessment, I will only get those 4 and not the other chicago locals )

As far as I know the spotbeams that cover Chicago are packed to the brim with SD markets. You probably won't see Chicago go spotbeamed until the spotbeam bird at 129 is up. It should be safe to say that Chicago HD's will stay in CONUS mode for a while.

yah SD for now.... if SD went to spot beam and HD stayed CONUS, I'd have a reason to talk the wife into an upgrade !

I'd just go OTA with a newer reciever if it came down to that. It's the chicago sports net I am really after....

you are correct that most people don't move for sd locals, but i'm one of them. for me, it's all about following acc basketball. i'm in the baltimore market but move to greensboro (north carolina) for basketball season.

a lot of the games i want to watch are televised on local raycom / lincoln financial sports (formerly jefferson pilot sports) affiliates. baltimore has an affiliate but the problem is that at least five times a year they have two games going on at the same time and so they split their signal. folks in the northern and southern acc markets get one game (for example, fsu vs maryland) while people in north and south carolina get another game (nc state vs north carolina).

the league started streaming some of the split signal games on accselect.com this season but i'd rather watch it on tv. so with my "move", i am guaranteed to always watch the split signal game i want to see and i don't have to buy espn full court.

Homer moment... ;) DOH! You usually don't see people "moving" for SD's.

Actually, MOST of the movers DO move for SD's - we were moving long before the HD "big 4" networks were up on DBS. ;)
And, people STILL move for various other reasons than HD, like NO SD locals, lousy locals, different RSNs, etc... ;)

Yeah, I'm planning to move for the RSN and SDs as well. The HDs are just a bonus.

Speaking of which, I just got my equipment installed on Thursday and haven't "moved" yet. Do I need to wait a certain amount of time or can I call Dish and move today? It's only been 4 days, but I want to be able to watch opening day baseball tonight.

Actually, MOST of the movers DO move for SD's - we were moving long before the HD "big 4" networks were up on DBS. ;)
And, people STILL move for various other reasons than HD, like NO SD locals, lousy locals, different RSNs, etc... ;)

I should have explained more. Usually you see people moving to areas that have CONUS HD locals as they've moved to areas no covered by the spotbeams. Spotbeams has cut out a lot of the SD moving.

ok... which is a better/worse idea:

using a totally fake address
or
using a real address of someone you know who is not a Dish sub

and with that, I think i have exhasuted every stoopid little question I could possibly have on the subject.

don't use the address of somebody you know. they may want to sign up at some point in the future and then you'll have to "move" away from their location (assuming you know ahead of time that they want to sign up).

a completely fake address is the way to go. i always just add a bogus apartment number to a fast food establishment.

ah cool, ok.. we'll the other person would know I used it.. so I'd have warning if he wanted to sign up. Of course as far as anyone else would know.. he didnt know... plausible denial.

Since the topic is handy...

Is SNY on spotbeam? If so, would it stretch far enough south that I could see it in Charlotte, NC if I should happen "move" to NYC?

SNY is on a national transponder (as are all RSNs). so if you "moved" to NYC, you should get Fox Sports NY, MSG, and SNY.

edit: you would also get SD feeds of the big 4 networks (abc, nbc, cbs, fox) since they are also on national transponders. you would not get any of the other NYC locals because they are on a spotbeam that doesn't reach north carolina.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)