And here I thought D* was the HD Leader...?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I thought they were using the same encoders...why do you think this scott? I mean why is this the case...what is D* doing differently at this time that E* isn't?
Most of it comes down to the bit rates being used

Most of it comes down to the bit rates being used

And the available bandwidth of the Sat for HD programs.

At this time Directv wins on both.

Or just wait till next wed. or the next few weds and even the folks with the fuzzy math will figure this out.

Matt

D* gives me NESN in HD. I can watch the Sox and Bruins in spectacular high definition, so to me that makes D* the HD leader.

I agree Claude needs to be slapped for that one... :)

On one end of the spectrum we have Clause who is a Dish Network guy and on the other end we have Scobuck who is a DirecTV guy.

Then there is everything in between.

Again DirecTV currently has the best HD quality of the two satellite companies, but Dish Network has the better equipment (And BTW years again never did I imagine that I would ever say that Dish had better equipment then DirecTV) :D

Scott, I know you said that the HR20 was junk, but that seems a little harsh. Having just swapped, Ill say the HR20 isn't as refined with series links and other small issues, BUT both function well as a DVR. Plus I like the extra storage space of the 622.

Recording TWO OTA channels at a time is also very nice. I use this much more than recording 2 sat programs and one OTA(622) at once since I live in a market with no HD locals.

Scott, I know you said that the HR20 was junk, but that seems a little harsh. Having just swapped, Ill say the HR20 isn't as refined with series links and other small issues, BUT both function well as a DVR. Plus I like the extra storage space of the 622.

Recording TWO OTA channels at a time is also very nice. I use this much more than recording 2 sat programs and one OTA(622) at once since I live in a market with no HD locals.

Same here - I'd be dead (because my wife would kill me) if we couldn't record two OTA shows at the same time.

Same here - I'd be dead (because my wife would kill me) if we couldn't record two OTA shows at the same time.
Yep, the lack of dual OTA tuners has kept from even considering E* since I live in a market without HD locals from E*. On the other hand D* does provide HD locals in my market plus a DVR with two OTA tuners so I'm covered either way. It doesn't matter to me what other advantages the 622 has over the HR20, the lack of dual OTA in the 622 is a deal breaker to me.

So, forgive a Dish Network sub who stumbled on this thread if he asks a possible FAQ.

Does the HR20 allow both dual OTA and dual HD recordings at the same time? Like many others, that would be infinitely useful for me, as there are often 2 HD programs on locally I want to record, and OTA is my only option.

So, forgive a Dish Network sub who stumbled on this thread if he asks a possible FAQ.

Does the HR20 allow both dual OTA and dual HD recordings at the same time? Like many others, that would be infinitely useful for me, as there are often 2 HD programs on locally I want to record, and OTA is my only option.

The HR20 can do a total of two recordings at a time, either two ATSC, two DBS or one ATSC and one DBS. The only exception to this is if you're using the DirecTV on Demand service you can record a third program over your broadband connection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)