Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As the year 2007 came to a close both satellite companies rolled out their new Internet based video on demand services, I wrote in my column wonder...

CLICK HERE FOR THE REST...

Catch new editions of "The Satellite Dish" at MultiChannel.COM!

I wrote about this in my blog as well. I hope this isn't the start of more net neutrality problems down to the last mile level. With AT&T (and others?) looking at "filtering" on the guise of helping the RIAA and MPAA to find illegal movie downloaders and uploaders, and Comcast wanting to have tiered Download Internet Levels, I'd hate to see all the ISP's start wanting to limit how much a customer can download at their subscribed speed. There are already caps on Satellite Internet - but this is supposedly because they have a limited bandwidth on the satellites, and also on Cellular Internet, called FAP's - Fair Access Policy. In which case there's nothing fair about it... except for the satellite providers.

The same kind of thing is going to affect mobile platforms, cellular obviously affects a lot more people these days for Internet, and Satellite for some, and Satellite a lot for marine customers which are the ones I am working with.

With FAP's and more multi-user networks on single connections, like satellite on a big yacht, more and more of them are going to start getting nailed by their FAP's.

The same bandwidth crunch has obviously also been going on with Sat TV systems because of limited bandwidth on transponders. I'm sure they are pulling some neat tricks to make it all fit, and add more HD to it. Some companies I guess are big enough to come up with more satellites and thus more transponders. (You probably know more about this than I do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)