And the winner of the worst installation is...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
ME!!!!!!

Uggh! No it cant be the wiring he said.. Absolutely not! No way in HE double hockey sticks. It had to be the ASC1... (Famous last words)

So a round of ovation while I accept this award, and now I go on to my acceptance speech!

I have to thank Brian over at Titanium Satellite for his support. He stood by his product and as I have said in the past it is built like a tank. He was kind enough to send me another unit to test out here with the installation issues that I had. His support was not only awesome, but he went well above and beyond as well as the entire team over at Titanium satellite and KE4EST's explanation. Kudo's to everyone over there and I owe all of you a beer at least!

So after a bit of a delay due to the holiday, I was able to get the correct wiring for my dish. I originally ran electrical wire (8 strand) that I bought from ACE and a cheap Chinese servo motor.

My issue was two fold. The servo would lose count during a move causing it to mis-align with the LNB and hit the hard limits. So when the servo was at say -75 as the ASC reported, it was really -90 at the LNB. This was fixed by buying a Chaparral motor. (Moral of the story, don't go cheap.)

The other issue was when the motor was moved the 5volt on the servo would command the LNB to move. It was kind of weird. as you moved the dish east it moved clockwise and as you moved the dish west, it moved counter clockwise into the LNB limits.

After about a month of solid troubleshooting, Brian came to the conclusion (where I didn't) that it had to be the wiring. Well, he was dead on! What happened is as the dish was moved the current from the actuator was causing a bleed over of noise on the servo causing it to move when ever the dish was moved.

So this weekend I was able to get the wiring in place and wired and would you know it. Everything worked and not only did it work. It worked correctly! The great thing about this is sense I ordered the ribbon cable, I now have to extra runs to the dish if needed. The ribbon cable is of the following for anyone who may need some in the future is one run of 3 wires shielded for servo (Ground, 5volt, pulse) and 4 wire shielded for the motor (M1,M2, S1 and S2) with ground. and two runs of RG6.

I am happy now that I can move my dish without any issues. Brian, I will be sending the loaner unit back to you this week. With that said, I am now going to pull my head out of my rear end and insert foot into mouth!

That's all! :)

good to hear its fixed :) Kudos to Brian for the above & beyond support & kudos to you for admitting you made an error. It takes courage to do so on an open internet forum.
PS.... I think there are probably way MORE deserving candidates for winner of the worst installation prize!

Reactions: goaliebob99
I think there are probably way MORE deserving candidates for winner of the worst installation prize!

Like these:

BAD-INSTALL-2.jpg

Not-Direct-Dish-Install.jpg

Not-Direct-Dish-Install3.jpg

Not-Direct-Dish-Install4.jpg

Not-Direct-Dish-Install5.jpg

Not-Direct-Dish-Install6.jpg

Not-Direct-Dish-Install2.jpg

Reactions: KE4EST
When in the H E double hockey sticks did you get behind my entertainment center??
No, whoops, there's the skeleton (of a service tech) tangled up in mine. (I was lucky enough to escape)
Hey, But it works! (It used to be [almost] that bad) I got more horror stories but are 'commercial' in nature.
I like the pizza dish up the pole. (not really)
I was sent on a service call once and the pizza dish was 35 ft up on a 45' tower. One of those angle iron things. Tapers in size every 10 ft or so. You get the picture.
I said "nope, sorry" They asked "why". They ended up taking it down ( that's a story in itself*) and I installed it correctly. ON AN EXTERIOR WALL!
*two brave souls. One riding in the bucket, holding an extension ladder, while the other tried not to kill him, while lifting it to max height.
Thinking about it, they had practiced this before (you couldn't tell) putting the dish there in the first place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)