And you think Charlie is bad?????

nitstalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
March 1, 2006
DIRECTV's Owner Calls HDTV Owners 'Desperate'
News Corp. President and COO Peter Chernin told a financial conference yesterday that his company is talking to cable and satellite operators about charging $25-30 to watch a movie in HDTV 60 days after its theatrical release.

Cable and satellite providers now charge less than $5 to watch an on-demand or Pay Per View film. Asked if the $25-30 cost seemed high, The Hollywood Reporter quotes Chernin as saying that some high-def owners would be "desperate consumers" because there is relatively little HDTV programming available on cable and satellite.

He noted that more than one million Americans last year spent more than $25,000 on Home Theater set-ups. Those viewers in particular, Chernin said, would be ideal targets for the high-priced HDTV movie.

Yes, there is relatively little high-def programming available. But who's fault is that?

Chernin's company is the controlling owner of DIRECTV, the nation's largest satellite TV service. However, DIRECTV has added only one high-def channel (TNT HD) in the last several months. Many DIRECTV owners have written me urging the satcaster to add more HD channels, such as Cinemax HD, Starz HD, MHD (MTV's new high-def network) and many others.

But it would seem that News Corp. executives are now more interested in price gouging than providing an affordable and diverse lineup of high-def programming. In their view, if they can keep high-def owners 'desperate,' then they will pay almost anything to watch a new video release in HD.

However, I predict that News Corp.'s scheme will fail miserably. High-def owners want more HD programming, but they won't be taken advantage of to get it.

Doesn't matter. People will reject that like Divx. I can watch it in HD 9 months later on HBO or Showtime HD.

Isnt Disney trying to get people to buy a 200 box to watch PPV movies over the air?(in selected markets).. Where oh where do people get these hairbrain ideas

You can buy the dvd for $15.00, the first week they come out. Who would pay $30 to watch it on tv. DVD quality is not that bad.

jerryez said:
You can buy the dvd for $15.00, the first week they come out. Who would pay $30 to watch it on tv. DVD quality is not that bad.

You know people out there will pay those crazy prices! The fact that it's HD quality will help sell it a little. However, I don't see this lasting very long. Like Bob said, you can wait about 9 months and see it in HD for FREE if you have HBO HD or Showtime HD. You could also buy the HD DVD or Blu Ray when it comes out also for about the same price if not cheaper.

This idea would work two weeks into the theatrical release, but at two months you might as well wait for the dvd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)