Android Apps: 50,000 and counting

Yesterday I was about to give a paper at a conference, and I knew I had 15 minutes. I said to myself, it would be nice to have a stop watch. So I pull out the old trusty Droid, search on stop watch, come up with a whole list of apps, and 1 minute later had one, and it worked perfectly. The Android Market gets better and better.

One has to give Apple credit: it was their discovery - unintentional - that the number of available apps drives platform acceptance.
At least in the smartphone market, where the profit margins are the highest. RIM, Nokia and Palm are the living proof of it.

From this angle, Google's decision was a gutsy move, I think.
Primarily because Linux is the living proof that a Bazaar system is destined to be a niche player at best.
Seeing as Android, sitting somewhere in between the Cathedral and the Bazaar, can gain such a momentum in such a short period of time is very encouraging.
And all this with practically zero marketing expenses from Google.

As a side note, Android 2.2 is expected soon and will enable 802.11n capabilities. Most likely Cyanogen will have a ROM soon...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/23/google-broadcom-close-to-enabling-802-11n-on-nexus-one/

Diogen.

Last edited:
One has to give Apple credit: it was their discovery - unintentional - that the number of available apps drives platform acceptance.
At least in the smartphone market, where the profit margins are the highest. RIM, Nokia and Palm are the living proof of it.

From this angle, Google's decision was a gutsy move, I think.
Primarily because Linux is the living proof that a Bazaar system is destined to be a niche player at best.
Seeing as Android, sitting somewhere in between the Cathedral and the Bazaar, can gain such a momentum in such a short period of time is very encouraging.
And all this with practically zero marketing expenses from Google.

Diogen.

I agree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)