Android Specifications For SlingBox With DISH Network 722k

Jim1348

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
I have both a Sling Adapter and a Sling PRO-HD connected to my DISH Network 722k receiver. Sling works okay on my Garminfone, but it can be slow on start up and slow to respond. My phone currently is a Garminfone, which is on T-Mobile, and is only capable of 3G. I am considering a new Android phone. What aspects of a newer Android will be most helpful in improving performance of the SlingBox application with DISH 722k? Would it be:

-Newer Version Of Android Operaing System (Currently 2.1)

-Faster Data (Currently 3G)

-Faster Processor (Currentl;y 600 MHz Qualcomm MSM722)

Any "new" android phone should be able to run the app fine. Data speeds will be the determining factor.

On T-Mobile you can get a Nexus 4 at a very good price. (Even off contract straight from Google)

If you can get 4G LTE where you live/work/commute you will have the best data speeds. (VZW & ATT mostly)

The problem with carrier speeds is the actual activity on the network can slow it down greatly. In fact 3G is suitable for watching sling, but some carriers overload the hell out of there network in certain areas and 3G becomes no better than 2G.

Also, your upload speeds from where your sling is located (your home internet) is a huge factor in the actual quality you get. If you can't send a good bitrate too your phone, you can't expect to receive one either.

.....Also, your upload speeds from where your sling is located (your home internet) is a huge factor in the actual quality you get. If you can't send a good bitrate too your phone, you can't expect to receive one either.....

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes, that is a good reminder about the home internet. I have DSL because I can't get cable where I live, so that very well might be the biggest limiting factor of all! Most of the time it is pretty good. Sometimes I listen to TV audio on my drive to work and it completely drops out in a couple of spots. I would like to think that is I get a Nexus 4 that it won't drop out in those sports, but there is probably no way to tell ahead of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)