anik

SatelliteStar

Original poster
Feb 10, 2022
Arizona
Dish Network Anik F3 US Coverage Foreign Language channels

I heard that Anik F3 foreign language channels may be moving to streaming platform or a new orbital slot. They are still advertising the channels on satellite (No satellite given) as a product offering. Has anyone heard this or that it would not move? Thanks

Well, what is your source? That would help us determine the veracity of what you've heard.

Well, some time ago Dish offered a number of internationals when it started the Dish World streaming service using an App on Roku/FireTV, etc., but I do not know if that even still exists.

As for the how we (I do subscribe to TV5) will receive internationals in the long-term future should the Canadian sat at 118 end its life? I don't really know, and I have not heard or seen anything, yet. However, Dish currently streams some channels to the Hoppers with LIVE streaming channel on the EPG listed among satellite delivered channels, so that could be ONE way Dish could continue to send internationals to subscriber should the sat at 118 die, but one would need a sufficiently fast internet connection/service for smooth HD picture (TV 5 is in HD today, but I think some other Internationals by still be in SD, so viewing those channels with a slower internet speed could be feasible for those subscribers).

Also, Dish had sent a device for FCC approval some time ago, and it appears to be a module that can be installed to enhance H3 capabilities, and the device is known as the Hopper+. Hopper+ would be using Android TV, which allows for high customization for something like lots of streaming channels that could integrate with current Dish Hopper systems, so that could be another possible solution. Hopper+ may add other functions or features in addition to streaming lots of channels. However, this Hopper+ is still behind the closed wall at Dish and there is no sign of imminent announcement or roll out for the Hopper+. In fact, we don't know if Dish is going to release the Hopper+ at all, at this point.

Considering that Dish has no sats being built that I know of--at least for the Dish DBS services, and how Dish's sat fleet is aging to end of life, and how the Hopper+ includes Android TV, some of us have speculated that Dish may be slowly turning to streaming as a substitute for satellites to deliver programming in the long-run, but that would still be years away if that is the case.

If Dish did lose the 118 slot, I think Dish might cram what they can on existing sats OR just deliver all the internationals or what is left over that could not fit on other sats by STREAMING them to our capable STB's like Dish does today for Stadium channel BNC and some of the HBO/Cinemax channels. The channels would still be integrating into our EPG's, and we would just select that channel as we do today, but our boxes would switch to internet streaming for us to view. Of course, in such a theoretical option, Dish may have to upgrade International subscribers who would be affected by this change, but still a cheaper option to building a 2 to 300,000,000+ DBS satellite and all associated expensive launch costs.

So, I haven't a clue as to how dire the Internationals delivery situation may be. Perhaps others have something more concrete.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)