Animal Planet ... HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
This weekend I tuned in to watch a bit of the the Planet Earth series on Animal Planet. When I first started watching it, my initial thought was "Hey, this is pretty decent SD, perhaps the best SD I've ever seen."

But then I remembered that I had tuned to it because it was listed as HD. I hit "INFO" and sure enough it was listed as being in HD.

For HD, the image was very soft. Not horrible, but lacking in detail and vibrancy. It reminded me of some of the Dish Network channels a couple of years ago when they were down-rezzing to 1280x1080 and choking bandwidth too. Well, maybe a little worse than those channels. I've seen DVDs look better than this.

I've seen Planet Earth on Blu-Ray and the detail & color was outstanding. Watching it on the Animal Planet HD channel was a real disappointment. I didn't expect Blu-Ray quality.

I turned in two other times to catch other episodes in other time slots to compare the image quality. It looked pretty much the same.

Last edited:
I thought it looked much softer on Animal Planet, too. It looked far better when it aired on HD Theater.

With all this compressing and so forth of the signals it makes me wonder if tommorrow's compressed HD was yesterdays' uncompressed SD when it comes to quality of the picture. I imagine the HD feed would still be good but you can only go so far with it before there is not as much of a difference.

For what it's worth, I've not seen much of anything on Animal Planet that I would consider HD. Even when it's marked that way, it's frequently stretched and/or upconverted SD. Shows like Crocodile Hunter, etc, that were filmed as SD are billed as HD in the guide on Animal Planet, but you can tell they're not.

Why Animal Planet would air the SD version of Planet Earth and upconvert it, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me, based on what I've seen from them in the past...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)